TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Why didn't the Model S cross the stream?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by OBX John, May 3, 2017.

Tags:
?

Would you cross this creek in a Model S?

1. Yes, depending on water level.

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, what are you thinking?!?

28 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

[​IMG]

Because I'm too chicken to risk it. And I only have a coil suspension.

But I'm wondering when our 100D arrives with SAS, will it be safe to take it across at the high setting?

The stream is usually only 6" deep, with spots going to 12" though. I can move some rocks around to make it safer and more level, but I've gone across in a 944S2 and a Mercedes CLK 500 with conditions close to how it is now.

[​IMG]

I managed to get power across the walking bridge, 250 feet of heavy duty extension cords from my neighbor's hunting cabin is getting 9 amps to the car, giving me plenty for the return trip with a stop at the Glen Allen supercharger near Richmond VA so long as I don't drive much during a typical 2 day stay.

I'm just curious if other owners would take the risk and cross, or should I plan on just carrying my luggage across the walking bridge and the last couple hundred yards to our house from now on? AP makes the 300 mile drive from the OBX so much easier, I don't think I'll be using our SUV or minivan for the trip any longer.

So, play it safe, or get closer to the house for a faster charge?

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Build a simple bridge

• Like x 1
  3. croman

croman Active Member

Ask @Btr_ftw

I'd rather not risk it but 12" isn't a big deal. I go through puddles deeper than that.

If you go fast enough you might not sink (lol).

• Funny x 1
  4. OBX John

Not sure how to go about doing that?

5. OBX John

I know the battery is sealed, but would you worry about anything getting into the cooling system?

I'm hoping that extra inch or two with the SAS would keep the lower bumper from catching on any rocks.

We've definitely tried the "fast" route - it's pretty amazing what a Toyota minivan can go through... or rather you don't want to get between a Yoga class and my wife:

[​IMG]

I've also lost the lower bumper on a Honda minivan when I didn't see the slush forming under a thin layer of ice. Plenty of interesting crossings over the 15 years we've owned the place!

6. cranker2k

cranker2k Member

If there are holes, I would go to rockery and order delivery of river rocks or whatever size that can fill the dips. That might be a more practical solution then building a small bridge. Even with higher suspension I suspect you wouldn't want one wheel to go over a hole big enough to cause the car to get unbalanced.

Never tried this so just offering an approach.

• Like x 1
  7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Dayam.... ;) I think my concern would be, rather than the depth, how stable/hard is the creek bed? Car is *pretty* heavy. If it was that water over a highway, perhaps. After I've had the car for a few years. :cool:

• Like x 2
  8. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

I've had a little experience driving in water here in Vegas. We get the occasional gully-washer that floods the streets with fast-flowing water. I've driven thru water that was ~4-6 inches deep (@ Trop & Rainbow) while driving 20 mph with no ill effects although the force of the water slowed me down to a crawl. And once I drove thru an intersection with water flowing so fast that my 90D was pushed sideways several feet (@ Charleston & Durango). Definitely got my pulse racing.

• Informative x 2
  9. croman

croman Active Member

OP has driven similarly heavy cars in the past. Given the last picture with substantial water flow, this seems a more ideal time to attempt it.

• Like x 1
  10. OBX John

Yes, as croman notes, it's a pretty stable bed. I would spend some time moving the larger rocks around though, as you can make it better by filling in some of the low spots and moving any unstable rocks out of the way. Most likely would only attempt a crossing the summer and fall when water levels are lower. One good spring storm upstream and we'd be trapped. Ice in the winter makes it super sketchy - we've even been stuck in a Range Rover. At least the town we are in, "Headwaters" lives up to it's name as there's only a few miles to the north / south continental divide, and we don't get extreme flooding as a result.

• Informative x 1
  11. BrettS

BrettS Member

I seem to recall reading a thread a while ago (I think it was in the rebuilding the flooded salvage tesla thread) that someone mentioned that there are some parts on the drivetrain that have holes at the top, but no holes on the bottom... so if water gets into these parts it just sits in there with no way to drain. Unfortunately I can't find that comment again right now. But if you do want to ford that stream you might want to do a bit of research to find out exactly what these parts are and how high off the ground these holes are.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. BrettS

BrettS Member

I found the post. In post 219 of this thread...

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

Ingineer said:

This is what would scare me the most about trying cross a stream like that. If you can figure out just how high the water has to be to enter the drive unit and the stream is well under that, then maybe, but even so I would worry about water splashing up and into it.

• Informative x 2
  13. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

Maybe some lengths of moderate diameter galvanized pipe side by side oriented to let the water flow through the pipes.

14. OBX John

After reading that thread... I think I'm going to keep my Teslas high and dry!

15. OBX John

It's possible, but hard to do something temporary that's easy to remove, and anything permanent would get washed away unless it was fairly substantial. We get a pretty good flood every few years, usually from hurricane remnants that hit the mountains.

16. BrettS

BrettS Member

Clearly you need to get an attachment like this for your model S

• Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. OBX John

Now I know why I got the roof rack option! :p

• Funny x 3
  18. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

This I gotta see. Please do it for science and take video.

19. Dr. Smoke

Dr. Smoke My former name was Edmond. Before that, Quantum`.

#19 Dr. Smoke, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Newer models have a valve on top of the inverter that reduces the chances of letting water in.

But, the pack has vents which can and do sometimes let water in.

And, if your pack has ever (ever) been removed, there is a design problem where the gasket around the pack's main contacts to the car can fold inside the opening. (the contacts hole is too large, and/or gasket is too small) Water gets in and you are plagued thereafter by "Car Won't Start." (Insufficient resistance between + and -) If water stays in long enough the contacts will de-electroplate and corrode.

The only solution is to pull out the whole rear subframe (with motor, driveshafts, suspension, etc), and try not to electrocute yourself when disconnecting the HV lines...
    then DROP THE PACK (yes, drop at least the rear of the pack at least 4")...
    and clean/dry the contacts male and female. If corrosion or de-electroplating, replace the contacts or die. This is true for all models at least up to 2016, and maybe later ones too.

I speak from direct experience.

Notice: The following images may be disturbing to more sensitive readers.

|
    V

|
    V

|
    V

|
    V

|
    V

|
    V

|
    V

|
    V

2015 P85D:
    [​IMG]
    (I was also replacing leaking oil seals on the diff, and changing the oil like we ALL should after a year with these cars)

The problem. You can't really see the folded-in gasket in this pic, but you can in person. It's all along that front edge.
    [​IMG]

There is no way to remove and dry/clean the connector without damaging it, or dropping the pack.

(Shhh... don't tell Tesla about this design flaw. We're not supposed to know)

This has been a public service message by your friendly FreeAnons.

PS- @calisnow, the reason that rape is a reasonable gamble for some men, and has been through the millenia, is that it requires such a small investment by the male. The violation and consequences to the female are of little concern to those who pathologically lack empathy.

• Informative x 1