Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do BMW drivers who encounter Teslas almost always embarass themselves?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jbruce - So, what I'm gathering here is that you are admitting to racing on a public highway at speeds of over 100mph? If so, you are a public bloody menace and do not deserve to own a driving licence let alone a Model S. Your stupid, juvenile antics will cause an accident one day, bring Tesla into disrepute, and probably kill someone (not to mention negatively affect my Tesla shares).

If not, please ignore this post. MW

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. This is nothing more than a street racing thread, and there's no indication people are only talking about highways, which is ridiculous. If someone wants to 'race' you (how you determine that, I have no idea, nor care) you smile, shake your head and ignore. At least that's the adult thing to do, but then there's a shortage of those in general it seems (and certainly when it comes to driving!)

I never said that. Race tracks are definitely the best and safest way to get an understanding of the vehicle performance. I would certainly like to see a Nurburgring lap time for a Model S P85+ or see lap times at time trial / Time Attack events in the U.S.. The Model S is a great car and I'm glad I own one but its not replacing my M3 on the track anytime soon.

@jbruce - So, what I'm gathering here is that you are admitting to racing on a public highway at speeds of over 100mph? If so, you are a public bloody menace and do not deserve to own a driving licence let alone a Model S. Your stupid, juvenile antics will cause an accident one day, bring Tesla into disrepute, and probably kill someone (not to mention negatively affect my Tesla shares).

If not, please ignore this post. MW

Bristol Speedway has a 1/4 mile track open for "Street Fights" where any car can come and race (well most any as there is a cursory safety inspection). the fee is $10 for virtually unlimited runs down the track.

The best quote after a night there was a post from a BMW where they posted the Beemer won all heats except one against a silly electric so that didn't count.

I got a laugh as in my book that VERY much counted and it is perfectly legal. It is the only place I can drive my car over 100mph and not worry about a ticket or a wreck.

Agree that the MS will be out of it at higher speeds. But, it's from a standstill or at low speeds that most of these encounters are sorted out to the detriment of the Beemers.
Or even at 70 mph

- - - Updated - - -

As a former BMW owner, I can only speak for how I would have felt. I loved my car's performance. The only thing I would have changed would have been to remove all markings, because I didn't drive the car for status. I drove it for performance. Dealing with the Model S has to be a little bit like realizing that your precocious child is no longer the smartest and cutest one in the class.

If you were interested in a sedan with an ICE with performance you should have selected a Cadillac CTSV.

Bristol Speedway has a 1/4 mile track open for "Street Fights" where any car can come and race (well most any as there is a cursory safety inspection). the fee is $10 for virtually unlimited runs down the track.

The best quote after a night there was a post from a BMW where they posted the Beemer won all heats except one against a silly electric so that didn't count.

I got a laugh as in my book that VERY much counted and it is perfectly legal. It is the only place I can drive my car over 100mph and not worry about a ticket or a wreck.

Yeah just remind them, that a 3800lb station wagon, schooled "the ultimate driving machine."
;)

They just plain irritate me, here...

[video]http://www.eternal-visions.com/stupid_driver.mp4[/video]

Ok, maybe it's not all BMW drivers, but this one stood out, since this was yesterday.

People do this **** all the time, I don't see what it has to do with BMW.

Maybe it's confirmation bias. Yeah I saw someone do something stupid AND it was one of those stupid BMW's.

I'm talking road courses which test multiple aspects of a performance car (power, braking, handling...). Drag strips are rather one dimensional. If you want to do it U.S. style use the Car and Driver lighting lap track, VIR.

BTW, BMW bikes = beemer, BMW cars = bimmer

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Legally, it's of course a very simple issue, but morally, it's a bit more complex. It is a fact that it is possible to achive speeds over 100 mph in a Model S with a substantial degree of safety. One example is on a race track, but there is no reason to think that that is the only circumstance where it is possible.

Some factors:

1. The Model S can achieve high speeds in a short distance, due to it's superb acceleration. In fact, one can go from 0 mph to 110 mph and back down to 0 mph in about 550 meters/0.34 miles. With such a small distance needed, one can actually have a fairly good overview of the entire situation.
2. Speed limits are usually closer to worst-case speed limits than best-case speed limits. So, while it can be dangerous to go over the speed limit in bad conditions (windy, ice, rain, etc), it can be safe to go more than the speed limit when conditions are better.
3. Driving abilities vary from person to person. What's "fast" for a 65 yo person who's barely driven before isn't necessarily "fast" for a 30 yo race car driver.

I don't think the issue is all that more complex morally/ethically than it is legally.

The main thing you forgot to take into account is that most often accidents happen as a result of unexpected events. One such unexpected event would be someone driving considerably faster than the speed limit. Other street users expect other cars to travel at around the speed limit, when estimating when it is safe to cross the street, change lanes, etc. (Obviously this also makes it hazardous to drive much SLOWER that the speed limit.) Safety is achieved by people following the rules and behaving as expected.

So, regardless of how good a driver YOU are, driving much faster than the speed limit will not only increase yours but also other people's risk of getting into an accident. I don't think this is morally any more acceptable than it is legally.

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to bring this up. Feel free to continue with the BMW vs MS racing discussions. :)

I'm not saying that driving fast is always, or even often safe, but if there are no other cars around, no on-ramps or the like, and one has a clear view of the next few hundred meters, it can be (acceptably) safe. Of course, nothing is ever completely safe. People should always be safety conscious, and that's the case regardless of whether one is driving above or below the limit.

really? BMWs? I get a lot of stares from BMW drivers but for me it's the fast and furious honda's that try to show off the most (they always lose, very badly too). the only guy who seems to keep up with me on multiple occasions (he's got the same commute home down the turnpike) is a Tesla Roadster owner haha

I've successfully dealt with BMWs, Mercs, Land Rovers and pickup trucks (!) all with some sort of an inferiority complex.
GG: I have a confession to make. Usually I'm immune to taunts by those of lesser acceleration, but I suffered a major relapse tonight (probably secondary to the sudden onset of spring around here, finally.) The most fun comes when you have a BMW snuggle up close at the next traffic signal, trying to figure out the make of that car that just blew their socks off. Guess it's back to my 12-step program tomorrow (I'll force myself to drive the Leaf to work as penance....)