Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do BMW drivers who encounter Teslas almost always embarass themselves?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The P85/P85+ is made for people who want to be raced. Don't pretend to be the calm, reasonable guy when you payed $17k extra just to have a few more kW and race every BMW that pulls up to you.

While I'm sure some have this attitude, I don't. I bought the P85 not to compete against others, but rather to have that rush on acceleration. I am the calm, reasonable guy unless giving a test ride. :) I don't race - too dangerous without the right equipment.

Last night, someone in a souped-up Cadillac CTS came up behind me on the right while coming home on the freeway, paced me for a while, then backed off. He paced behind me for a bit, then got in the left lane and pulled up alongside me and paced me again. It was obvious that he was trying to bait me. Honked his horn three times, then gunned his car and shot up to 100 mph or so ahead of me, very loudly. When I didn't take the bait, he kept on going and exited about a mile up the road.

While I'm sure some have this attitude, I don't. I bought the P85 not to compete against others, but rather to have that rush on acceleration. I am the calm, reasonable guy unless giving a test ride. :) I don't race - too dangerous without the right equipment.

Last night, someone in a souped-up Cadillac CTS came up behind me on the right while coming home on the freeway, paced me for a while, then backed off. He paced behind me for a bit, then got in the left lane and pulled up alongside me and paced me again. It was obvious that he was trying to bait me. Honked his horn three times, then gunned his car and shot up to 100 mph or so ahead of me, very loudly. When I didn't take the bait, he kept on going and exited about a mile up the road.

Smart- Not because he would have beat you. Smart - Because you were the adult.

It wouldn't have mattered anyway. A 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport Premium can't compete with a P85. The fastest 2014 CTS does 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds and the Quarter Mile 12.7. The P85 Tesla Model S Performance 0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds with the Quarter Mile in 12.4.

Why waste the energy when you know it doesn't matter? Best thing to do is yawn and look away.

Just to be fair, from 60-120 the Caddy has a good chance. 0-60 does not equal 60-120. And if it was a tie, after 120, the Caddy would certainly win.

I don't have the stats in front of me but just looking at the 1/4 numbers, the Caddy wins from 60-120.

The P85/P85+ is made for people who want to be raced. Don't pretend to be the calm, reasonable guy when you payed $17k extra just to have a few more kW and race every BMW that pulls up to you.

I bought a P85 so that I could have the massive acceleration when needed to avoid a potential accident. I did not get it to race people or to drive through a set of tires in 8,000 miles. I'm a little more practical and safety conscious than that.

I bought a P85 so that I could have the massive acceleration when needed to avoid a potential accident. I did not get it to race people or to drive through a set of tires in 8,000 miles. I'm a little more practical and safety conscious than that.

Odds of you being able to use that acceleration should the situation arise if you never ever do otherwise: 0.

owned many BMWs. Model S is for sure a better driving machine... Even more fun then the 1M I sold last year. The new M6/M5 is pretty boring... after the model S I dont like exhaust sounds anymore... its funny how relaxing it is with the model S.

For me there is no BMW that is more fun to drive. so for me the ultimate driving machine is the model S. vs Porsche.... well tougher but would still go model S...

Statements like this are made by people that overgeneralize.

So for people like me... I like David99 already ;-)

Yes, the Autoban Beemers are laughing at us now. "Sure newbie, you're fast off the line, but I'm in it for the long haul. Eat my dust!"

I wouldn't say laughing. But the thing that got me thinking last week when we were driving home from our short vacation at our parents-in-law (distance to our home 520 km / 325 miles) in our VW Touran (CV of a brick wall) along the Autobahn was this: we didn't go particularly fast, mostly at 100 mph max, only short stretches faster than that. Average along the Autobahn part (which is over 95% of our trip) was around 80 mph I would say. All in all the trip (no tea/lunch/coffee breaks as our kids were in a good mood for all of the journey, which certainly was nice for a change :) ) took a little less than four and a half hours. And as far as energy consumption goes, we started with a full tank (of Diesel), and at the end had somewhere between one third and half of it left. On average, we can go between 600 and 800 miles with one tank, depending on driving style.

Then I imagined that same trip in a Model S and wondered how often I would have had to charge in between (plus imagine that SC's were along our route (A4 mostly) which at the moment there aren't) and how long the total journey would have taken. I even tried to figure out if going slower, say at 70 mph (at which point you would become a real danger to "normal" traffic as hardly anyone drives that slowly for longer distances on the Autobahn), would get us to our destination with only one stop. Without trying it out in an actual Model S, I wouldn't know of course. But as I said it just got me thinking.

As for the noise of ICE's otoh, I think at Autobahn speeds, wind and tire noise becomes so loud that the engine doesn't play that big a part any longer. Of course at the beginning and end of such a trip, having a car as quiet as Model S would definitely have a positive effect on the travel experience as a whole.

Last edited:
So for people like me... I like David99 already ;-)

I wouldn't say laughing. But the thing that got me thinking last week when we were driving home from our short vacation at our parents-in-law (distance to our home 520 km / 325 miles) in our VW Touran (CV of a brick wall) along the Autobahn was this: we didn't go particularly fast, mostly at 100 mph max, only short stretches faster than that. Average along the Autobahn part (which is over 95% of our trip) was around 80 mph I would say. All in all the trip (no tea/lunch/coffee breaks as our kids were in a good mood for all of the journey, which certainly was nice for a change :) ) took a little less than four and a half hours. And as far as energy consumption goes, we started with a full tank (of Diesel), and at the end had somewhere between one third and half of it left. On average, we can go between 600 and 800 miles with one tank, depending on driving style.

Then I imagined that same trip in a Model S and wondered how often I would have had to charge in between (plus imagine that SC's were along our route (A4 mostly) which at the moment there aren't) and how long the total journey would have taken. I even tried to figure out if going slower, say at 70 mph (at which point you would become a real danger to "normal" traffic as hardly anyone drives that slowly for longer distances on the Autobahn), would get us to our destination with only one stop. Without trying it out in an actual Model S, I wouldn't know of course. But as I said it just got me thinking.

As for the noise of ICE's otoh, I think at Autobahn speeds, wind and tire noise becomes so loud that the engine doesn't play that big a part any longer. Of course at the beginning and end of such a trip, having a car as quiet as Model S would definitely have a positive effect on the travel experience as a whole.

Do you have larger fuel tanks than us in the USA? Our 13 Golf TDI takes about 13 US gal to fill up. At those speeds I would barely break 500 miles before the fuel light would come on.

Because they are butt hurt that their beloved and highly praised M5 was smoked by a car that made no noise. The M5 was struggling and the Model S was accelerating away with ease silently.

Most of my friends are BMW owners and they just think the Tesla is alright lol. They don't like when i bring up the video but then always talk about oh well the bmw will smoke a tesla past 100... right... and when are you ever going to be going that fast in the real world? The Model S is not an inefficient race car, its a real efficient car for the real world. Should note that they are young guys so maybe when they grow up and get out of that "phase" they'll realize the reality.

Do you have larger fuel tanks than us in the USA? Our 13 Golf TDI takes about 13 US gal to fill up. At those speeds I would barely break 500 miles before the fuel light would come on.

The fuel tank on the Touran is around 60 litres. The consumption of our car is between 4.50 (town and country roads) and 6.25 (Autobahn average) litres per 100 km, depending on driving style (it is the very economical Bluemotion TDI engine after all), which means a real world range between 600 and well over 800 miles. Of course it is one of the most fuel efficient engines on the market, which was one of the reasons why we bought that particular model. That and the fact that the Touran is one of the best cars for families with small kids. (It has more usable space than even a Model S, to name just one advantage).

Last edited:
It's not that Europe has bigger tanks, is that they have more efficient engines. Small diesels are quite rare in North America, and even when comparing gas engines you'll often find the same vehicle available with a smaller engine in Europe. North America is very much behind the times with vehicle technology compared to most of the rest of the developed world, the one exception is Tesla.