Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do both wheels not work to adjust mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me and my wife, or would it make absolute sense to have the left scroll wheel adjust the left mirror while the right wheel does the right mirror? I can't imagine this would be a difficult thing for Tesla to implement, and honestly for the user/driver, it's 100x more intuitive. Tesla, please make this change. Anybody else agree?

Is it just me and my wife, or would it make absolute sense to have the left scroll wheel adjust the left mirror while the right wheel does the right mirror? I can't imagine this would be a difficult thing for Tesla to implement, and honestly for the user/driver, it's 100x more intuitive. Tesla, please make this change. Anybody else agree?

Maybe because some people adjust their mirrors while driving on AutoPilot. That way your right control could still be control autopilot speed/distance while you use the left one to adjust mirror.

Reactions: jsmay311
Thats actually how it was initially. You're right - much more intuitive and better. Then they screwed it up with a software updates. Im sick of hearing how OTA updates are awesome. They've downgraded more things in my car than they've improved.

Maybe because some people adjust their mirrors while driving on AutoPilot. That way your right control could still be control autopilot speed/distance while you use the left one to adjust mirror.
I dunno, adjusting auto pilot speed seems like something that can wait until you've adjusted your right mirror, which really isn't something you should be doing a ton, anyway.

I dunno, adjusting auto pilot speed seems like something that can wait until you've adjusted your right mirror, which really isn't something you should be doing a ton, anyway.

I do agree with you that it is more intuitive to use both wheels for the 2 mirrors. And that was exactly what I did when I took delivery. I didn't adjust my side mirrors until I drove off the delivery center. So I started adjusting on the road after autopilot calibrated (it was a long drive home), but instead of reading what was said on the screen, when I finished with the left mirror, I started using the right control for the right mirror. Up Up Up and mirror was not moving but my car was speeding up.. oh *sugar*. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: Jaywlker
I wouldn't be surprised if another reason is to train us that the right scroll wheel is for adjusting EAP settings. It's actually worked in me. Because of it, even after almost half a year, I still sometimes get confused over which wheel to click for voice commands. I'd actually rather have voice commands activated by the left wheel with a double-click or long press and leave the right wheel exclusively for adjusting EAP controls.

I wouldn't be surprised if another reason is to train us that the right scroll wheel is for adjusting EAP settings.
I'm pretty sure that's it. Otherwise, it would just be a matter of time until someone wasn't paying attention to context and thought they were adjust temperature or fan speed or whatever and caused the car to accelerate unintentionally (into a fire truck). Obligatory: "This is why we can't have nice things."