Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Do Car Buffs Dislike Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car buff in general are also very mechanics interested and for obvious reasons there are much less mechanics in an electric drivetrain than in an ICE. But I think there is also a fair amount of snobbism toward a newcomer. It is not real because it has not been around... or it has not been proven on the track... etc. Now that Porsche might be attempting an all electric I think you will see car buffs jumping on to the electric drivetrain in droves but still they will most probably shun TESLA. Because again there is no proven track record by Tesla as anything but a silicon valley fad.......

When you read the established EU car mags they are all hailing the REVOLUTIONARY Mission e because of placing the battery under the body and two motors and .... etc...etc! basically they are expecting that their readers have never heard of TESLA and therefore believe that Porsche is changing the world with this "new" technology........

Well, I own an E36 M3 and a Miata, have hundreds of track hours, and have gotten more grease under my fingernails than I like to remember. I'm not sure what their definition of a "car buff" is, but mine isn't some rich snob who buys a Porsche and writes articles dissing innovative new cars that perform great and have the looks to match.

My next car will probably be a Tesla. (Ok, I fess up, I'm kind of getting tired of working on cars too! :p )

In my experience, the real car buffs I work with give me good-natured ribbing, and talk about beating the pants off my car ("I've got my Z06 in the repair shop to have the remains of a Tesla pulled out of my exhaust pipe..." LOL) but they also respect the hell out of hit and think it is ridiculously sexy. Which, of course, it is.

The haters I know are all stupid, misinformed or choose to remain misinformed about global warming, their tax dollars subsidizing my car and the like. I can't really agree with the OP's initial premise.