TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why do EV drivers park in EV spaces and not charge?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by soulreaver99, Nov 12, 2017.

1. soulreaver99

soulreaver99 Member

Why do people do this? I think they are just as bad as ICE drivers parking in EV spaces.

I see it happen a lot in Austin TX (just moved here) where the EV parking and etiquette aren’t as good as California.

I guess it will get better over time.

2. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

Naw, us Californians do the same dumb thing.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I think it happens more now because early Tesla owners bought because it’s an EV, and cared about EV etiquette, or at least were generally aware of it. Now many people buy Teslas for autopilot. For some of these owners it being an EV is a bug, not a feature. They don’t think about EV etiquette but rather they look at a convenient parking space as an entitlement, something they deserve for putting up with driving a car that needs to be charged.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. Leopold Stotch

Haven’t experienced this yet in Canada. But it’s just that people suck is all. And with more EVs in the road there are more shitty people with EVs in the road and in stalls.
    Peace!

• Like x 2
  5. 1208

1208 Active Member

To show off that you have an EV.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  6. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

i see this in the bay area. most likely because its free parking/free open space

• Like x 1
  7. ZeApelido

ZeApelido Active Member

Because some people (yes, even EV drivers) are dicks.

• Like x 6
  8. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

I think some people view these charging spots (often located close to the stores like those designated for the disabled) as a perk for driving an EV, just like being able to drive in an HOV lane with no passengers in the EV. The sooner people (including EV owners) treat these spots the same way they treat gasoline pumps for ICE cars, the better.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Because some people are inconsiderate.

• Like x 3
  10. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Because it makes their lives easier. In the short term. At the expense of others.

In game theory they are known as “cheaters”, and the honest majority keep their numbers low (but sadly never zero) by social pressure, such as this thread.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  11. electracity

electracity Active Member

They are worse than ICE drivers. They know better.

• Like x 4
  12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

To use the parking space.

(1) See the charging spot.
    (2) Park.
    (3) See that it costs.
    (4) Walk away.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  13. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

...with sufficient capacity for this leg of your journey.

[​IMG]

....and you are feeling just a teensy bit smug. ;)

• Like x 2
  14. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

On the whole, people are jerks.

Tesla owners are a subset of "people".

• Like x 2
  15. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

EV icing EVs happens, but I would say there is a worse problem with the ADA handicap spots.

I would venture a guess that around here >50% of people who use handicap spots are young and healthy. And they take up the Van Accessible spots first, which allow you to unload a wheelchair from the side. Costco probably has the worst offenders.

The ADA was good idea that was not implemented correctly. It required enforcement or it helps aholes pick on cripples. I don't say handicap in this case, because wheelchair spots are not for people with personality disorders, premature ejaculation, or folk require service dogs you carry in your purse. These are not immobility issues.

I want to go full Tonya Harding on those creeps, but I think it's illegal. I wonder if they enforce that law?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. Buook

Buook Member

Too many new EV owners coming from BMW..

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  17. ToTheT

ToTheT Member

Very true. Saw a MS parked in a Level-2 public spot in Santa Monica, CA without being plugged in last week despite big signage saying that the car must be plugged in to park there. Those chargers are very conveniently located. The week before a Ford Fusion Energi plugged in his 120V cord WITHOUT plugging it actually into the wall socket (he also could have used the Level-2 charger, which he was now essentially blocking for people who needed it).

18. MacGreiner

Yep - this.

19. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Welcome! Your profile location still says California.

Sadly, I see this all the time here. I try to only charge at home, even though I purchased the $25 for 6mo unlimited charging at Austin Energy spots. Those smaller batter EVs may not be able to make it through the day.

20. soulreaver99

soulreaver99 Member

8E5CC2E0-C6FC-47B0-A374-79C28931D1EB.jpeg I see this almost every day. Two types of jerks.