Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do I smell rotten eggs every now and then... no its not..

Anyone smell rotten eggs in their model 3 that is not human created?

• Yes

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was gonna guess 12V battery, but I guess not.

Maybe set up a CANbus cable and ScanMyTesla and record what systems are running when you get the smell. Might help, who knows.
Good idea! I did see a Technical Service Bulletin to replace the High Voltage battery breathers, which can be identified by a thumping noise. I have told tesla i hear this noise but they will not replace my breather caps unless i get an audio recording of the sound.

Good idea! I did see a Technical Service Bulletin to replace the High Voltage battery breathers, which can be identified by a thumping noise. I have told tesla i hear this noise but they will not replace my breather caps unless i get an audio recording of the sound.
HV battery breather replacement TSB is not related to the 12V battery. Your high voltage battery chemistry does not result in Hydrogen Sulfide production, but your lead-acid 12V battery can produce this rotten-egg smelling gas if it’s having problems. I would report this to Tesla and get the 12V tested.

HV battery breather replacement TSB is not related to the 12V battery. Your high voltage battery chemistry does not result in Hydrogen Sulfide production, but your lead-acid 12V battery can produce this rotten-egg smelling gas if it’s having problems. I would report this to Tesla and get the 12V tested.

I did report it to Tesla and they said it was fine. I know the breather replacement is not related to the 12v but for the HV battery. I was under the impression the smell was coming from the HV voltage battery and that perhaps the breathers would help but if your right that the high voltage battery chemistry does not result in hydrogen sulfide smell that makes me feel better, thank you!

It's 100% the cabin air filters but changing them isn't enough. You have to clean out the drain under them since the smell is the result of bacteria growing in the damp environment. There's been more than a few threads about this as it happens around a year into ownership.
Hi jroydog, Tesla did that. Changed the filters and did an HVAC condenser cleaning. They said the same thing but the smell has not gone away. I believe the smell you are referring to is a spoiled milk/moldy smell. This is different.

It's 100% the cabin air filters but changing them isn't enough. You have to clean out the drain under them since the smell is the result of bacteria growing in the damp environment. There's been more than a few threads about this as it happens around a year into ownership.
yes, I was going to also say this is a possible issue. That is assuming the OP isn't the guy being reported on the news as the one driving around with a body in his trunk :rolleyes:
And to add that NOTHING is ever 100% certain except death and taxes :D

Reactions: jroydog