Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do I smell rotten eggs every now and then... no its not..

Anyone smell rotten eggs in their model 3 that is not human created?

• Yes

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed a smell, mainly when I turn on my car heater and drivers seat heater before I walk out to the car in cold weather. I figured it was just reheated gas getting down into the seat, which is a very real possiblity.o_O

Or that's just how the seat heating elements are, I don't know.

Its not my a$$, or other's as$$'es, not cabin filter (Tesla changed them), not dirty/modly AC condenser (Tesla Cleaned that), not 12v battery (voltage is strong). This smell only seems to happen when accelerating, anyone experience this?

This must be the upgrade to the fart mode! Try adjusting the location of the fart sound and see if that affects the smell :)

On a serious note, since you mentioned that you smell it more during acceleration, you might want to test a few different settings:

- Turn on recirculation on the fan so no outside air can come in. Open windows to clear the air between modes. If you only smell it when recirculation is turned off, then the cause is near the air intake, if not, then it's closer to the air filter and evaporator, or somewhere inside the car.
- Drive around with AC for 10 minutes, turn off AC to let the evaporator gather some moisture, leave the fan running and see if the smell gets worse
- An endoscope cost $10 or so on Amazon, you can snake one through the air intake and see if you can find anything. Same with spaces underneath your seats.
- Remove and wash your floor mats just as a troubleshooting step.

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: tvad