Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do ICE cars always want to cut off Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like a very common thing that ICE cars, junk cars or expensive cars, always want to cut you off even if its going out of their way to do it. I thought signaling was supposed to let other cars you need to change lanes and for other cars to yield, but in the real world an unreasonable person will think its time to speed up and cut you off after they been at a cruising speed the entire time. Some will do something like cut you off, but start cruising speed next to your car when they know you can't enter in front of the due to the arrangement of the cars (like one in front of you, another in front of them).

In the Riverside County area, the truck drivers they get very personal and angry if they think you cut them off. Because they think making you miss your exit is more important than their ego getting hurt. One of them honked very loud and gave me the finger, made sure I saw him.

Today some guy in an newish Audi SUV also wanted to cut me off. And he was way behind, not even considered next to me, but he was forcing me to wait like 5-10 seconds for him to cut me off. I pretended I was going into the other lane and it was enough to get the Audi SUV to chicken out and swerve into the other lane. Guy was so mad, he stared at me shocked I didn't back off and let him cut me off.

Most the time, if I see a car trying to accelerate from way back behind me, it's easy to just beat them and speed up too so you just make them waste their gas. Gas cars lag, and most these people are driving commuter ICE cars that take forever to get up to accelerate enough to cut someone off. I really don't understand why some drivers are so against another car going in front of them if they were already cruising at a normal speed, and now suddenly need to floor it then cruise again. I usually let cars go in front of me and I have no need to not allow another car to change lanes in front of me.

Sometimes its fun messing with some these ICE cars. Just show your turn signal and see them accelerate to cut you off and accelerate at the same time as them. Most the time, if its a normal car, the Tesla will usually be faster or match the other car's speed. Then don't change lanes and make them realize they wasted their gas and effort trying to cut you off.

I'm hoping more cars become auto pilot. I feel robot cars won't have the need to cut each other off, and will do what makes sense.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
I've had that happen in my ICE car. You're catching up to a car that has been maintaining a constant speed on the highway, you go to pass it and suddenly they start to speed up and match your speed. If the driver is a man, it's an alpha male thing that they may not even recognize that they're doing. They are displaying the psychological need to dominate by being first.
But with today's technology, there's another reason this happens; adaptive cruise control (ACC). When you've set your ACC to a given speed and distance to the car in front of you, and are now comfortable with those two settings, you want to just lean back and enjoy the ride. More often than not, you've left a bit of extra room between you and the car in front of you so if that car slows down, you have time to decide if it's a momentary slowdown (distracted driving, rubbernecking, sight seeing) or the slow down is more permanent. The extra room gives you time to decide to stay behind and slow with them or pass them.
So here you are, cruising at a comfortable 65 MPH at a comfortable distance behind the car in front of you with a proper braking distance between you and the car in front and your ACC on. When another car comes around your left side, passes you and then changes lanes and moves in front of you. Now the ACC in your car must adapt to this new intrusion by slowing your car from 65 MPH to 55 MPH (or more) and this slowing will be maintained until the distance you set for it is re-established between you and the new car in front. And since that car shoe horned its way in, now it will slow down to establish distance between itself and the car in front of it, whether by driver choice or via ACC, so now you're slowed down more for even longer. And if the intruder car decides that it wants to cruise at a slower speed than 65 MPH, well, now you have to change lanes (if you can), re-establish your leading car (or take the lead), and reset all your parameters to get back into the comfortable groove you had. I've had this happen to me on long drives on the highway and it's aggravating.
The simplest way to avoid all this slowing, change, and resetting is to speed up, close the space between you and the car in front and block the passing car from moving over in front of you. This could be an explanation for why the OP has been experiencing what he has and is attributing it to owning a Tesla, when it may have happened even if he was driving an ICE car.

Reactions: RidgeRunner