Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do Li-ion Batteries die? And how to improve the situation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very nice talk. To me the interesting points were cathode and anode are inherently stable just interaction with electrolyte gives degradation, higher state of charge and higher temperature were main culprits of harmful electrolyte interaction. Combinations of additives to electrolyte can give orders of magnitude better longevity.

This thread is an incredible wealth of information. Thanks 100thMonkey for sending and sharing that letter. I am definitely dropping my charge limit to 70% instead of 80% where I normally let it sit...and I am really wondering how bad it was that I supercharged at Macedonia at 10 degrees F or so, when I didn't have to! Hopefully Tesla has some safeguards that we don't know about.

ONE OTHER THING I WOULD RECOMMEND IS TO AVOID HIGH RATE CHARGING AT TEMPERATURE BELOW 0C. ESPECIALLY WHEN THE CELLS ARE ABOVE 75% SOC. TESLA ELECTRONICS MAY PREVENT THIS

Pretty sure Tesla's electronics take care of this one, as per their own patent:

LOW TEMPERATURE FAST CHARGE - Patent application

and

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=23&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=tesla.ASNM.&OS=an/tesla&RS=AN/tesla

"fast charging at low temperature can, depending upon cell chemistry, result in lithium-plating inside the battery cell. Lithium-plating typically results in an irreversible capacity loss". Their patent describes "apparatus and method for fast charge preparation of low temperature cells potentially at risk of damage from fast charging." and allows "charge under a wider range of temperature conditions, and to prepare low temperature battery cells for fast charging."

Pretty sure Tesla's electronics take care of this one, as per their own patent:

Yes, the battery heating system targets 10C (50F). Besides, a lot of heat is generated during Supercharging which will bring the temp up on its own.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20088&d=1365905905.png

...and I am really wondering how bad it was that I supercharged at Macedonia at 10 degrees F or so, when I didn't have to! Hopefully Tesla has some safeguards that we don't know about.

I supercharged in Mishawaka at -2 F after an overnight cold soak. The battery first warmed for several minutes, then charge power slowly increased to 30 kW and stayed there for the remainder of the charge. This is for a 60 kWh battery.

Very interesting and informative. And it reminds of an article on LiIon batteries in a German computer magazine 15 years ago. It mentioned the exact same two top tings that are bad for LiIon cells: high temperatures and high state of charge. The basic knowledge was there, but it never became mainstream.

We know about it. The car will heat up the battery to above freezing before it starts charging it. You'll notice if you plug in with a cold battery on a cold day, it won't add any mileage for a few minutes while the battery is warming up.

Ok great, perhaps that explains why it took me 30 mins to get 120 miles on a B battery...the first few minutes were warming?

OK, I sent off another letter today, hopefully we get a response!

"Jeff, if you have a chance, I have a few more follow up questions. I do very much appreciate your time answering my questions!

Since they are both cobalt based would the consumer care recommendations (store at lowish SOC, Lowish temperatures, tending to mid voltage cycling) for LiCo02 cells be the same as a LiNiCoAi02 or a LiCoAi02 cell?

Also, does the rate of charge (0.5C vs. 1C vs 1.5C etc.) have any impact on the cell life?

have you tested NCA cells like the Panasonic NCR18650A and NCR18650B and would their care characteristics be the same.

Nicad is less and less common in consumer electronics but is still used and I have several gadgets that have them. I have been treating these pretty much the same (store at lowish SOC, Lowish temperatures, tending to mid voltage cycling) accept every so often I do a complete discharge and full charge to reduce the tendency toward memory effect. In your opinion, is this on track? anything to add?

In general, I am amazed at how few of devices/chargers have any sort of BMS other than avoiding runaway combustion. It would make so much sense for every one of these devices to have a long life mode, where they could be left plugged in but only charge to about 50%. so many of these devices end up plugged in all the time, and it dramatically cuts down their shelf life. please consider explicitly recommending this in your research if appropriate. To many phones, computers etc are thrown away because the battery only lasted a year or two, when, if treated better, could have lasted 5-10 years. by applying this care regimen, peak performance of many products can be vastly extended. I've gotten 5 years out of an iphone, 5+ years out of a cordless shaver and long life out of many other products. This has required a lot of careful charging... it would be so much easier if I could set the SOC limit on each device based on my needs, such as at home near a charger vs traveling where I need max charge. we need someone like you to push the industry to make this kind of thing a standard! (no pressure :~). Tesla with it's slider option has nailed this. some way to adjust the end charge limit should be on all consumer products. a SOC meter that showed red at both ends, with green in the middle, would help this be more intuitive for consumers, who now simply think fully charged is the best, which simply leads to killing the battery prematurely.

OH and as an aside, the Tesla S is aluminum, so no need to worry about rusting :~) and the AC induction motor is brushless with the only contacts points being two bearing sets... potentially, this car should last a very long time!

Again, thanks so much for your time!"

Very interesting presentation and thread, thanks !

The more I learned about li-ion technology, the more angry I am getting at notebook manufacturers who more-or-less force users to charge to 100% in hot notebooks and also do not assist in preventing discharging to zero.

Even my small company has purchased quite many (expensive) Dell accupacks as they needed replacement every 2 years. This could have easily been prevented by smart software in the bios. Some investigatuon shows that some notebook manufacturers do now offer this. I think Dell has lost my future business, unless they quickly fix this. I will pay attention to this from now on.
Same goes for other equipment, think of the Apple products with hard to replace accu's. As we saw in the presentation accu's can have a very, very long usefull lifespann. I am getting the impression manufacturers actually prefer accus to fail to sell more accus and newer products. Not only a big waste. This has also given EV's a big extra hurdle to overcome.

What was enlightening for me was that the charge/discharge cycle itself is actually very benign and doesn't on its own lead to degradation. Cycle count, depth of discharge, and mechanical stress from changes in cell volume are not the root cause of the problem.

The degradation comes from being at high state of charge, especially in high temperatures. At high voltages the cathode and anode are both highly reactive, and react with materials in the electrolyte to form a layer of "gunk" which blocks the flow of lithium ions. The longer the battery spends at high SOC, the more time for these parasitic reactions to destroy the battery.

The standard "cycle count" graphs from battery manufacturers are misleading since these are done as rapid cycles over a short period of time (30 days) which hides the effect of time at high SOC. This is what got Nissan in trouble with their poor choice of battery chemistry in the Leaf.

To see the effects properly you need to do extremely accurate energy and heat flow analysis to measure the parasitic reactions, which is what is presented in this lecture (and what Tesla hired his grad student to do).

The most effective way of extending battery life is by including additives in the electrolyte which slow down the parasitic reactions. He also found the reactions happen fastest at the top end of the charge cycle, especially above 4.08V. Interestingly, this corresponds to about 90% SOC on the Roadster, which is what Tesla chose as their Standard charge. He mentioned the Volt charges to 80%, which he called "decent".

Keeping the battery at 4.1V is better than 4.2V and 4.0V is better than 4.1V. He gave an example of a cell from 1999 which was kept at 20% SOC, and when tested in 2013 was "like new". (Storage mode on the Roadster is also 20% SOC)

I was impressed with the rapid progress being made on electrolyte additives, and the research confirmed my thoughts that it's best to keep the battery below 90% SOC.

Great summary, thanks.