Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do people always park next to me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice the pick up truck is in a small car parking spot with cargo sticking way out the back? :rolleyes:

BTW, your perfect stall is a straight drive in judging by the moving car in the picture and would likely be chosen as an easy stall to park in by the majority. Your choice was not very good at all if you wanted no neighbours.

the absolute best spot wouldve been to reverse into the end spot perpendicular where OP originally parked

the "pulling straight in" to a spot is far more popular than closest spot to the entrance

I always try and park beside another Tesla... because safety in numbers? and because hope they also have the dashcam in case of hit and runs etc.
Sometimes I still do it because I'm a creature of habit when I'm not driving the Tesla, umm awkward.

Haha! I thought it was just me! I have parked in a totally empty lot one time and came out to see a panel truck within a foot of my beautiful new car! It hasn’t stopped. It’s sometime magnetic about Tesla’s and big pick ups, too! I do think the best idea is to park near another nice (or new) car.

Reactions: jawnly211
Haha! I thought it was just me! I have parked in a totally empty lot one time and came out to see a panel truck within a foot of my beautiful new car! It hasn’t stopped. It’s sometime magnetic about Tesla’s and big pick ups, too! I do think the best idea is to park near another nice (or new) car.
But what about the other side? Would be hard to find an empty lot between two nice cars.

Why does this always happen ? The picture isn't wide enough to see the but I'll explain. I drive around looking for the perfect parking stall to avoid a door ding. I take the corner stall and park close to the curb. Seven empty stalls to my left and 4 empty stalls to my right. When I come back outside there's that truck parked right beside me. Happens all the time. The parking lot can be 75% empty. I will park far from the store and when I come back to my car someone is parked right beside me. Is it just me ?

You're gonna have to be that jerk that puts an orange cone on the spot next to you ;)

Funny you should post this, this happened to me yesterday when my wife and I went to BJ’s. Large parking lot, I parked a distance away, we do like to walk for the exercise. I park with many spots open near me, I come back 15 minutes later and and old beat up car is next to me!

So I then this think it is a few reasons for this…

1. Others think like you and do not want their car dinged by other cars and shopping carts, even if their car is old and beat up.
2. I have thought about this, and some people find it strange for a car owner to park far away, even to protect their car, and they call you stupid or worse names, they get back at your by parking right next to you.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
My first priority is parking uphill of any shopping cart corrals. Second priority is parking far away from anyone. I don't mind walking. I always try to have one side against a curb, then hug the curb so that if someone parks next, there's a big space between us. Also, there are large parking spots next to handicap parking where you might load a wheelchair. I have plenty of experience loading wheelchairs so I also look for these spots, since there's more room.

At the grocery store, uphill from the shopping cart corral and also far from the front door, also next to the parking lot light, which people like to avoid.
IMG_5447.jpeg

Here's a supercharger spot with extra space to my side. I like those spots too.
IMG_2108.jpeg

Last edited:
It is a psychological flaw.

Funny true story. When my last car was new I always parked away from the crowd. One day I was at the hardware store. I got out of my car and an old pickup truck pulled in next to me. There were at least a half dozen spots closer to the door. It was a women driver with a man I assumed was her husband. As they got out of the truck it seems the husband read the look on my face perfectly. He says to me, "I don't know why she does it either." We had a good chuckle.