TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why do people always say "never range charged" is that a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by thgchris, Nov 29, 2015.

1. thgchris

thgchris Member

I've been looking at the Tesla for sale forum and I routinely see listings that say things like "NEVER range charged" as if it's one of the worst things you can do to the car.

Why does this matter?

2. Panu

Panu Member

Doing it all the time is probably bad for the battery. Doing it sometimes is probably good for the battery because of cell balancing.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

There are some people who take pride in never range charging or even are afraid to do it. Not sure why either.

4. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

For all practical purposes it doesn't matter. In fact, if the car was never "range charged" (or "max charged" to 100%) then the range estimate is likely mis-calibrated and reading low. These sellers are presuming that their cars have less battery degradation because they have never charged the battery to 100%, but they would have no way to actually prove it. The only way to determine battery health is to ask the service center for a particular car's CAC value and compare against the CAC value of a brand new delivery. I've read in the forums that a healthy, brand new 85 kWh pack should have a CAC value of 155-160.

5. msnow

msnow Active Member

AR - probably a dumb question but does "CAC" value mean?

6. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I would probably insist on it being range charged prior to purchase to see what the rated range is on a balanced pack.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

CAC is Calculated Actual Charge.

8. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Doing a range charge is bad if you don't use it in short order.
    If the car sits with a high state of charge (or a very low one for that matter) for a long period of time, it is a bad thing.

Aside from that, there is a lot of FUD out there, which is why a lot of people think they should never do a range charge. It is like manually quitting all of your apps on your iPhone, which does nothing really, and is based on incomplete information.

9. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Calculated Amphour Capacity

10. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

I asked Tesla to provide the 100% charge range on the CPO S85 we put down a deposit for (and bought) earlier this year.
    They did not respond to this request. It had me slightly concerned, so that on delivery, we parked at the supercharger and range charged it right there and then.
    Upon seeing the range listed, I calmed down and realized that our CPO car was just as good as any other Tesla for age/distance travelled.
    Our Tesla is charged to 80% or 90% nightly depending on the day of the week.
    We range charge prior to every 250+km road trip we take, usually I do that with the phone App, sometimes I eyeball the charging required and set up delayed charge during the night.
    Our car has reported MORE range at 100% just last week, than it did when we picked it up mid-summer.

All this to say, it's not an issue. Range charge when you need to, and otherwise charge to 80-90%.

11. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I have range charged dozens of times over almost 2 years of ownership and charge regularly to 90%, as long as you don't store the car fully charged there doesn't seem to be any ill effects. YMMV

12. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Range charge all the time before long trips, especially when I'm trying to stretch the range to get the further SpC possible.

13. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Exactly. And if it will sit for a while, I believe it is suggested to have it at 50-62% SOC IIRC.

14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Ugh, no kidding. Whenever my g/f's (college aged) daughter gets a hold of my iPhone, the first thing she does is "close" all the "open" apps. No matter how much I tell her that's an "old thing" and doesn't matter any more, it just doesn't change. I try to explain those aren't "open" apps, but just "most recently used" apps. No difference. For years now, she always does it to anyone's phone she might need to borrow.

15. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Argh. I won't take this discussion farther than this: in 2012, I travelled accross the border, with a triple broken leg, to do a session where I showed what actually happens on the phone when you quit an app. Using Xcode, you can see which apps are actually running (about 1 to 3 at the time).

16. msnow

msnow Active Member

But I think the point isn't whether it's a recently opened app or a running app. The question is does it a) use up battery and/or b) slow down iOS? I've always shut down all apps like HLR's g/f's daughter but after reading this thread and doing some online research I've learned I've been wasting my time.

17. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

You are welcome. The question is: what will you do with that time from now on?

Same for those that actively spent time avoiding the occasional range charge! You can now drive farther without charging and not feel bad about it.
    (See! Back on topic. Don't thank me, I do it for the children.)

18. msnow

msnow Active Member

I just noticed an exception to the rule about not needing to close iOS apps. Most GPS, music, and radio apps keep running even when they are not in focus which is a data killer when you're on a cell connection. Those need to be shut down.

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Can we carve out the distraction about app behavior on iOS into a different thread?