Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do people hate Black exterior so much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen others mention this, but light scratches show up much more pronounced on a black cars. If you detail cars, it's very easy to spot, even if people try to hide it with a coat of wax or ceramic. This is why I will never own a black car.

If you want a black car, don't go down the rabbit hole of car detailing. A black car will drive you nuts.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
My car is currently Black. I debated for the longest time which color to purchase for my Y. What held me back at first was how much work it takes to maintain a clean black car. But man does it look amazing when it's fresh. I highly recommend Ceramic coating your car if you decide to go with black. I have zero regrets with my color choice.
The black paint seems to be thinner than the white paint, and it would be better if the invisible car cover was attached. I think so

This is my first black car (black exterior with white interior) which I've had for about 6-9 months - I've always owned red or white vehicles in the past. I have it tinted and full car filmed/ceramic coated with xpel stealth. Prior to the PPF/cermaic, the car would get dirty if I breathed in its general direction and felt the need to wash it at least once a week.

After the PPF/ceramic, I find that the cleanliness has improved dramatically. Most of the car will stay clean between washes (halved to once every 2, maybe 3 weeks now). I only get bug splatters on the front bumper some of the time and it always washes away in seconds with a weak power washer. Most bugs on the front eventually just slide off in the rain or on the highway. The rear trunk area gets a bit annoying and will always stain if I drive on a wet highway or if it rains. But again, it wipes off with a wet rag or a quick spray using power washer (soap optional when I do a quick spray!).

Without the PPF/ceramic, I would not buy another black car in the future as it is simply too much to maintain. However, with the matte PPF, she looks absolutely sleek and gorgeous and I'd go for black again in a heartbeat. To keep the car clean I still have to take care of it relatively frequently (wash every 2-3 weeks) but the time it takes each time is significantly reduced. A full wash takes me about 30-45 min and spot cleans take seconds with almost zero elbow grease required.

The pic below was taken after a week of no washing or spot cleaning and immediately after a 180 mile highway road trip in the midwestern summer (aka bug city).

Capture.PNG

This is my first black car (black exterior with white interior) which I've had for about 6-9 months - I've always owned red or white vehicles in the past. I have it tinted and full car filmed/ceramic coated with xpel stealth. Prior to the PPF/cermaic, the car would get dirty if I breathed in its general direction and felt the need to wash it at least once a week.

After the PPF/ceramic, I find that the cleanliness has improved dramatically. Most of the car will stay clean between washes (halved to once every 2, maybe 3 weeks now). I only get bug splatters on the front bumper some of the time and it always washes away in seconds with a weak power washer. Most bugs on the front eventually just slide off in the rain or on the highway. The rear trunk area gets a bit annoying and will always stain if I drive on a wet highway or if it rains. But again, it wipes off with a wet rag or a quick spray using power washer (soap optional when I do a quick spray!).

Without the PPF/ceramic, I would not buy another black car in the future as it is simply too much to maintain. However, with the matte PPF, she looks absolutely sleek and gorgeous and I'd go for black again in a heartbeat. To keep the car clean I still have to take care of it relatively frequently (wash every 2-3 weeks) but the time it takes each time is significantly reduced. A full wash takes me about 30-45 min and spot cleans take seconds with almost zero elbow grease required.
Sharp looking car! When I was buying my Model 3 back in 2018, black color was the only free color. White/Red was actually the most expansive color at $2K extra. I was thinking of getting the black and saved $2K and use that toward stealth PPF. Ended up getting the white and shortly later white is the ONLY free color and everyone and their grandma got white Model 3 LOL.

Reactions: dagug
I haven't seen others mention this, but light scratches show up much more pronounced on a black cars. If you detail cars, it's very easy to spot, even if people try to hide it with a coat of wax or ceramic. This is why I will never own a black car.

If you want a black car, don't go down the rabbit hole of car detailing. A black car will drive you nuts.

I have PPF, and the black looks exceptional. No driving of nuts here….

Not sure why, but I see so much against the Blake color. I think it looks great with the white interior. I’m torn between the black (what I want) and the pearl white (to beat up in the California sun). I’d love to hear any experience with black exterior after an year or some serious mile. Much appreciated!!
Not really hate, and admittedly a clean black car can look great. But you'll rarely have a clean black car, and if you're in the south or California, a black car will feel like an oven. That was the main reason that put me off; it's just impractical. Just touch the surface of a black vs white model y in the sun and it will be pretty clear.

Reactions: Wendy.ting
Had a Black LR M3 for 104K miles in 2 years in SoCal. Replaced by another Black M3P.

I will start by stating I like the look of clean black car. I did not PPF or ceramic coat any of them, but I do clean the exterior (water mist and wipe and apply something like Meguiars Quick wax) once every 2 weeks. I did not go hard core like clay bar, or full on wax/paint correction. You really can't tell the swirl marks unless you are looking for them.

The 104K mile Model 3 was peppered with nicks in the front bumper (mind no PPF or anything) but since its black they kind of blend in. The 104K black M3 held up (paint and drive train) pretty good.

At 103K mile, month before trade in:View attachment 840768
View attachment 840769
I did own a pearl white X briefly (six months got totaled) and now a white LR M3 (1 month old). I will say (my opinion) that nicks and dirt shows more in a white car vs black. You should look and compare white vs black bumpers out there, specifically Model 3/Ys so you can judge yourself.

Also, I dreaded the bumper color mismatch on these Teslas. Not so much a problem with black Teslas. Once you see the color mismatch you can not undo it. 😵‍💫. The X had it, this M3 not so much.
M3
View attachment 840766
X
View attachment 840762

This post is too long now. I'll add more as the thread goes.
View attachment 840771
Thanks for the comparison. I am going with Black w white interior!

Reactions: RoBoRaT
In Minnesota you can‘t own a black car for 9 months out of the year. No matter how often you wash it it instantly turns grey from the road salt!

As far as getting hot, the interior color matters 100x more than the exterior color. (virtually surface of the cabin that’s exposed to the sun is glass anyway.)