Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do people hate Black exterior so much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why, but I see so much against the Blake color. I think it looks great with the white interior. I’m torn between the black (what I want) and the pearl white (to beat up in the California sun). I’d love to hear any experience with black exterior after an year or some serious mile. Much appreciated!!

As I understand, people don't "hate" black cars, they just hate having to wash their car so often. Black car shows dirt the fastest after a wash. Pretty much everyone I know who got a Black car before stopped getting it because of the constant washing. You can just let it go and not wash it for weeks but black cars also look the worst as a "dirty car". But on the other hand, a shiny clean black car is also one of the best looking "clean car". You don't get the same effect with a clean white car.

For the interiors it's boring and it's hot. It's just not as bad (impractical) as white. Would love to have some real colors (red, to be specific) available!

Anything other than black white and gray (utterly boring and pedestrian "colors") is an improvement on the exterior; it would be great to have more interesting color choices. That said, I'm not interested in paying an upcharge just to escape boring.

My Y is white (black interior) and parked in the garage. Our other car is a 2022 Toyota Sienna in black, which parks outside. We have a $25/mo exterior car wash subscription for unlimited washes at the local car wash. This is how we keep the Sienna pretty clean most days. It rarely goes more than a few days without a wash.

Not sure why, but I see so much against the Blake color. I think it looks great with the white interior. I’m torn between the black (what I want) and the pearl white (to beat up in the California sun). I’d love to hear any experience with black exterior after an year or some serious mile. Much appreciated!!
Had a Black LR M3 for 104K miles in 2 years in SoCal. Replaced by another Black M3P.

I will start by stating I like the look of clean black car. I did not PPF or ceramic coat any of them, but I do clean the exterior (water mist and wipe and apply something like Meguiars Quick wax) once every 2 weeks. I did not go hard core like clay bar, or full on wax/paint correction. You really can't tell the swirl marks unless you are looking for them.

The 104K mile Model 3 was peppered with nicks in the front bumper (mind no PPF or anything) but since its black they kind of blend in. The 104K black M3 held up (paint and drive train) pretty good.

At 103K mile, month before trade in:
20210901_205123.jpg

20210901_205345.jpg

I did own a pearl white X briefly (six months got totaled) and now a white LR M3 (1 month old). I will say (my opinion) that nicks and dirt shows more in a white car vs black. You should look and compare white vs black bumpers out there, specifically Model 3/Ys so you can judge yourself.

Also, I dreaded the bumper color mismatch on these Teslas. Not so much a problem with black Teslas. Once you see the color mismatch you can not undo it. 😵‍💫. The X had it, this M3 not so much.
M3
20220813_213952.jpg

X
20200519_171143.jpg

This post is too long now. I'll add more as the thread goes.
20220813_214505.jpg

Reactions: Socalfarmhouse
They say you don’t own a black car. A black car owns you.

Seriously though, after 100k miles and no paint protection film, I was tired of my car looking dirty all the time. So I had it professionally prepped and ceramic coated. It looks brand new. I doubt it will stay that way for the full five year warranty, but you never know.

Nobody has mentioned this, but I love the way my black cars look in the rain. Just not after the rain dries, obviously.

I have a black 2021 MYP, black interior. It looks so good clean, and imo looks really good with a little road grime too. I did have the front end of the car PPFd and it was also ceramic coated, just a 1 year. The Tesla paint is not the greatest, but if you take care of it, it holds up even in black. I am a black car fan, I have owned many black cars and will continue to buy black cars, so my opinion might not be the best haha. I say buy a black one if you want one. Pic for reference 👍

Attachments

• BFEC3C8C-CC4D-449A-B487-C8B28405DA66.jpeg
    BFEC3C8C-CC4D-449A-B487-C8B28405DA66.jpeg
    547.1 KB · Views: 305
Reactions: Socalfarmhouse
Love my black car and black interior. Got it tinted as well to make it even blacker. I like the Knight Rider/Batmobile look of black on black (even have the calipers black as well) I am also someone who washes his car at least every other week. Added Xpel Stealth PPF and I absolutely love it. I also couldn't care less about other's opinions.

1660457976527.png

Reactions: ColoradoMike
It rarely goes more than a few days without a wash.

The article doesn’t say anything about not being able to wash your car as much as you want. You just need to have a shutoff nozzle on it.
@schen72 was probably referring to an automated car wash. They use recycled water so they are exempt from any car washing restrictions anyways.

Reactions: Need
My car is currently Black. I debated for the longest time which color to purchase for my Y. What held me back at first was how much work it takes to maintain a clean black car. But man does it look amazing when it's fresh. I highly recommend Ceramic coating your car if you decide to go with black. I have zero regrets with my color choice.