Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do people put DashCam's on Tesla's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has like, eight cameras. Why can't I use the ones already looking all over?

Because they're not designed for that purpose (so possibly focusing or aiming in the wrong places), and more importantly, you don't have a place in the car to store all the camera data (I have 128GB memory cards in our cameras). IMO, unless it's specifically designed as such, the autopilot cameras can't duplicate the capabilities or functionality of a purpose-built dashcam.

I have a (no longer made) BlackVue DR650GW-2CH in my Model S. It's mostly been good for entertainment and geek value (fortunately). But after my wife had a close call in her car (not a Tesla), she asked if I could have a camera mounted in her car "just in case"...so we ended up picking up a DR750S-2CH and so now she has a better camera than I do.

This video (from a former Model S, now Model 3 owner) comes to mind:

Totalled my S today....so I confirmed my Model 3 First Production order

Bruce.

Expensive car
Affluent owners
Urban
Tech/gizmo orientation

I'd say it is a fair bet that this group leads in home security doodads too.

I agree with this. These cars are expensive. A dash cam is an extra layer of insurance.

Knowing that the onboard cameras will eventually be enabled to act as a dash cam, I will just stick with my wife's old cell phone for now. It does the job and allows me to record the countless knuckleheads in S. FL. driving with their face in their phone. If there's an accident, I will let the video do the talking...

I was going to post dashcam compilation from youtube but so many of them have foul language LOL.

The Insurance scam fail videos are hilarious.

There's a video of a Tesla S on autopilot that hits a side barrier on the highway, someone should post that.

Found it, fast forward to 4:21

Last edited:
Because they're not designed for that purpose (so possibly focusing or aiming in the wrong places)

This seems unlikely. If your dash cam is recording things the autopilot cameras would miss, then it doesn't seem they'd be very good at autopilot.

The storage thing is a maybe. Given they've at least expressed interest in doing this, there's a possibility. e.g., it could store via bluetooth or wifi. Both are readily available today. It's possible there's a USB port with data as well.

This seems unlikely. If your dash cam is recording things the autopilot cameras would miss, then it doesn't seem they'd be very good at autopilot.

The storage thing is a maybe. Given they've at least expressed interest in doing this, there's a possibility. e.g., it could store via bluetooth or wifi. Both are readily available today. It's possible there's a USB port with data as well.
The autopilot cameras are not designed to be dash cams and vice versa. I have one for my own protection. I have recorded several accidents and one incident where someone rear ended me (when I had my i3).

I think its highly unlikely that a dashcam would pay for itself in the long term. First you need an accident that the other driver was at fault in and is denying they are at fault. Then it has to be difficult for the police to assign blame (although this varies in some states). Then the camera has to have clearly caught the accident. And finally your deductible/rise in insurance has to be substantially more than the cost of the dashcam and installation. Sure it happens from time to time, and those folks are the ones proclaiming how great the cams are. However I suspect if you look at the population as a whole its not worth the money, at least in the US.

Course it is a neat thing to have, and can generate some amusing/interesting footage.

I think its highly unlikely that a dashcam would pay for itself in the long term. First you need an accident that the other driver was at fault in and is denying they are at fault. Then it has to be difficult for the police to assign blame (although this varies in some states). Then the camera has to have clearly caught the accident. And finally your deductible/rise in insurance has to be substantially more than the cost of the dashcam and installation. Sure it happens from time to time, and those folks are the ones proclaiming how great the cams are. However I suspect if you look at the population as a whole its not worth the money, at least in the US.

Course it is a neat thing to have, and can generate some amusing/interesting footage.
They are as cheap as $50. Mine was the style that snaps on the back of the mirror and looks factory installed; it was about $200. All it takes is one minor incident to recoup your expenses.

They are as cheap as $50. Mine was the style that snaps on the back of the mirror and looks factory installed; it was about $200. All it takes is one minor incident to recoup your expenses.

Right, you don't have to go get the top-of-the-line BlackVue or whatever. I neglected to put that disclaimer on my earlier post. I believe (without having researched this) that there are inexpensive, good quality cameras that would serve the purpose, without having built-in WiFi, cloud accessible, etc. etc. etc.

Consider also that while the dashcam can show that someone else hit you (therefore their fault), it can also show in some cases that you didn't hit something/somebody (so not your fault).

Bruce.

I had that TopFit model, but when we had a collision and I tried to get the video there was a date bug and it was overwritten. Apparently the dates on the memory card can get easily reset to the future, leaving no space to save new videos. After that incident, I replaced it with Blackvue cameras.

• Informative
Reactions: jelloslug