Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do people really want Tesla to fail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "green is girly" guys are poor because they have to pay for electricity and heat and gas for their cars plus 90% more maintenance. If they put solar on the roof all this would be free. The Net Present Value of a loan for solar is actually higher than paying for it so you don't have to have money. If you have no house and no money you can support community solar projects.

I think many of them simply don't like subsidizing playthings for wealthy people.
That's simply an excuse to avoid having to face the reality of their behavior and possibly change it. Many will buy an overly large vehicle and proudly "roll coal" to promote an image instead of purchasing a more practical and efficient vehicle which would actually save them money. Obviously some people do need a truck for their daily drivers but many who purchase them do not. To be clear I'm not a sanctimonious "greenie", I've had muscle cars and built lifted off road trucks. However I usually also had a small econobox beater as a daily driver since it was cheaper to run.

Reactions: GSP and RedOctober
I work downtown and drive past thousands of cars which are parallel parked in different spots every day. No garage, no driveway...
and there are millions like this across the country. They have no way to charge an EV.

Once demand is there all those cars next to parking meters will be plugged into them. It's not an impossible problem to solve and it's already happening in places.

Canadian cities will get a new curbside electric car charging network to enable urban EV driving

For every falcon wing door or automated production line bottleneck, Or battery swap stn, there are 10 other sucesses by challenging the conventional wisdom and status quo.

They innovate and try new things, some work and some don’t. And some appear to work, but need adjustments to work.

They will continue to make mistakes. But they will continue to innovate also. When they stop making mistakes it’s because they stop trying. I hope they don’t stop trying.

Maybe some of us are just frustrated by boneheaded moves by Tesla?

I WISH for them to succeed, but unfortunately think unless they mature, and Tesla get a Tim Cook to Elon's Jobs they are staring down the barrel of failure. The Falcon Wing Doors and over automated production line may seal their fate. (I hope not, but it's not about the money, rather the time advantage they have squandered in resolving these issues.).

Have they shaken up the industry, yes. Have they also in some ways held back the transition to reducing ICE miles travelled, I'd argue in part yes too. My biggest complaints would be if Tesla had been more upfront on the timing of the Model 3, a large number of deposit holders could have taken out a lease on either Bolt or i3-REx / Volt until their Model 3 arrived. I also feel, despite protestations to the contrary, the Supercharger netwrok was always intended to be a walled garden / moat.

After that I find the whole chasing the short-term share price over customer satisfaction thing a little off-putting. Sure all businesses do this to an extent, but I've never felt it in any consumer product I've ever purchased outside my Model S. The way they hold back all the deliveries until the last week of the quarter, then rush them out poorly PDI'd leaving the customer to pick up the pieces to be the worst.

Then there are the true Teslarati, particularly those who have only deposits but have never actually owned the car,. They defend Tesla to the hilt, claiming you are a hater / anti-environmentalist/ short seller / FUD spreader if you have even the smallest piece of real world negative experience..... frankly I get fed up with it, and I know how good the cars are. To non-owners it can be a real turn off.

Finally there is the worst... the referral ticket hawkers. I won't name names, but I was at an I-Pace event, and someone was handing out referral cards. Talk about ambulance chasing. It comes off as hugely unprofessional and reflects badly on the company. I've tried a Tesla, it wasn't for me, please don't try and force it down my throat.

Did you seriously post this story about 100 charging stations? 100. Did you read that part? 100

Philadelphia county has 700,000 passenger vehicle registrations.
The cost wouldn't be in the millions, it would be in the billions and take 20 years to complete.
By then hopefully we will be off of dirty environmentally unfriendly batteries and utilizing something cleaner.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and bhzmark
That's simply an excuse to avoid having to face the reality of their behavior and possibly change it. Many will buy an overly large vehicle and proudly "roll coal" to promote an image instead of purchasing a more practical and efficient vehicle which would actually save them money. Obviously some people do need a truck for their daily drivers but many who purchase them do not. To be clear I'm not a sanctimonious "greenie", I've had muscle cars and built lifted off road trucks. However I usually also had a small econobox beater as a daily driver since it was cheaper to run.

Maybe people like larger vehicles because they like larger vehicles.

Today I picked up 30 split rails, a corner post, end post, two 4' gates and a 50ft roll of mesh.
Then I went for a load of flowers, herbs, 2 trees and 5 bags of soil and 4 bags of concrete mix.

Next week: 2 yards of dirt, 2 yards of mulch.

The cost to deliver the dirt and mulch would be more than I pay in gas this month.

Did you seriously post this story about 100 charging stations? 100. Did you read that part? 100

Philadelphia county has 700,000 passenger vehicle registrations.
The cost wouldn't be in the millions, it would be in the billions and take 20 years to complete.
By then hopefully we will be off of dirty environmentally unfriendly batteries and utilizing something cleaner.

You can be quoted in the future version of this article.
Tesla and Horses: what did people actually say? – Robert Massaioli – Medium

The horse is here to stay, but the automobile is only a novelty — a fad. — Advice from a president of the Michigan Savings Bank to Henry Ford’s lawyer Horace Rackham.

• Funny
Reactions: Electroman
You can be quoted in the future version of this article.
Tesla and Horses: what did people actually say? – Robert Massaioli – Medium

The horse is here to stay, but the automobile is only a novelty — a fad. — Advice from a president of the Michigan Savings Bank to Henry Ford’s lawyer Horace Rackham.
Thank you for explaining how a city is going to install half a million charging stations.

The people you should quote are the ones around here who criticize hydrogen or other potential fuel sources that will be viable (and cleaner) in our lifetimes.

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV
Thank you for explaining how a city is going to install half a million charging stations.

Once upon a time there were no gas stations. I simply showed you an example of what is starting to happen. Apparently you can't make the leap to where that might lead.
The people you should quote are the ones around here who criticize hydrogen or other potential fuel sources that will be viable (and cleaner) in our lifetimes.
Hydrogen is a dead end for passenger vehicles and will never amount to anything in our lifetimes.

Reactions: GSP and dgpcolorado
I take it you don't have a nickel mine in your backyard

Most of the harm caused by batteries comes from mining and refining. Actually recycling the materials is a much cleaner process. With enough batteries coming of age the recycling of batteries is going to become pretty huge.

There are always environmental impacts from any activity. A heavily control form of lesser pollution is vastly preferable to walking down a street and getting hit with clouds of exhaust constantly.

I take it you don't have a nickel mine in your backyard

This is a useless argument without some kind of lifecycle analysis showing types and total pollution over the entire use of each class of vehicle.

A mine has costs in terms of energy, runoff, and particulates. Oil drilling may use toxic fracking chemicals and release combustion products from excess methane. Or it could carry the risk of spills in offshore operations.

Any industrial activity has costs. I openly acknowledge this.

Maybe people like larger vehicles because they like larger vehicles.

Today I picked up 30 split rails, a corner post, end post, two 4' gates and a 50ft roll of mesh.
Then I went for a load of flowers, herbs, 2 trees and 5 bags of soil and 4 bags of concrete mix.

Next week: 2 yards of dirt, 2 yards of mulch.

The cost to deliver the dirt and mulch would be more than I pay in gas this month.

And I use my MS and a trailer. Many people only use their pickup, I mean USE, rarely. Many people can only imagine what they've seen, can't imagine using anything else. Some would need a 10 ton truck.

And if you happen to be in the landscaping business, yes, you might need a truck. I don't need one. And I don't pay your gasoline bill. It's your choice to make your footprint smaller, or to even think about the world you live in. Then you make other choices.