Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do people really want Tesla to fail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Erm, the "actual" projected date for Tesla FSD in that article was "End of 2017". Not too sure you picked the best possible article to support your argument.

Yah I saw that, and the other company's were in the 20-25 range mostly. In the land of rough the data was qualitatively supportive and contrasted greatly to the replied to article, esp Nissan.

Thank you for taking the time to read the link:)

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I sorta feel the way this thread is titled.

It seems like Tesla has to fight for every Inch. Sure, EM sets big goals, but aiming high has been a hallmark of American entrepreneurs. (Look at Amazon).

I mean, it’s cars and batteries. Why the hate???

I’ve loved my new MX for last few weeks, even with its tiny mess ups here and there.

I really hope the company succeeds beyond anybody’s expectations.

I don’t think it’s about wanting something to fail. I see it as more about betting against a charlatan.

When the bear argument consists only of name-calling, there isn't a better demonstration of its weakness.

Looking forward to the AWD and performance models of the M3 for next week.

What have you contributed to society?

upload_2018-5-11_21-26-3.png

upload_2018-5-11_21-28-23.png

upload_2018-5-11_21-28-43.png

Tesla Gets a Vote of Confidence as Supplier Orders Accelerate

Last edited:
This is a great topic and one which has made me ponder my own feelings towards Tesla (love my P85DL, but will almost certainly never purchase anything made by Telsa ever again).

I think you have hit the nail on the head with this one. I can't stand Musk. There are many ways to describe Musk, but liar is the most appropriate word. If Tesla fails, it will be because all of his lies catch up with him and drag the company down (eg lying about 691hp, lying about Model 3 production, lying about EAP/FSD). He doesn't make over-optimistic predictions. He knowingly lies.

You’re wrong.

Starting Model 3 production was a hyper optimistic goal. They hit it. Elon did not lie.

Hitting 5k/week by 12/17 was a hyper optimistic goal. They did not hit it. Once again, Elon did not lie.

Setting hyper optimistic deadlines is a proven technique for motivation (there is a great TED talk on this) and to drive employees to max effort. It has been a key ingredient in all of Elon’s companies successes.

Tesla is in a race against one of the greatest planetary threats civilization has faced. Hyper optimistic deadlines will be one of the key drivers of the speed of Tesla execution in this race.

The obvious answer is:

There is a massive misinformation and FUD campaign being waged against Tesla.

The list of enemies is long, but I suspect the fossil fuel industry. They have used this technique before and if I remember correctly, Tesla even proved the Koch brothers had budgeted a substantial amount towards this end.

I suspect the UAW has been behind the worker safety stories.

I was at a cocktail party last night, in the heart of liberal Tesla country (Northern California). One of our friends is a local TV news producer (decides what's news each day, what goes on the air). Someone mentioned my Model 3, and she said, "Aren't you worried about them going out of business? You don't use Autopilot, do you?!" [concerned look on face]

The long and short of it is that the negative narrative about Tesla has become—at least in the short term—the "prevailing wisdom" about Tesla. So a news director wouldn't feel smart running a story about how exciting Tesla is, or great the products are, or about how cool the technology is. Instead, they feel that the responsible thing is to warn people about the bad things that might happen.

If Tesla succeeds, they can still feel like they did the responsible thing by warning people. "Those were valid concerns," they might say.

On the other hand, if they put out a rosy piece about the company or its products and something bad happened, people might feel that the news company misled them. "Where was the press when this was happening?"

Even in California only a tiny fraction of the 40 million people here own a Tesla. If every Tesla ever produced was now located in California, it might crack 1% share of all cars, barely. Having been historically very expensive and linked to climate activism, there's a fairly sturdy contingent of people, even in California, that think of Tesla owners as privileged and holier-than-thou about saving the planet. I was recently talking to a senior executive from Oracle and she said she couldn't bring herself to become "a Tesla person." Make of that what you will.

So if you think about it from their perspective, there's very little reason for a news producer to post a positive piece about Tesla.

Hence why this forum should rally around each other and help each other and Tesla. The image of this forum in a sense is advertising. Maybe I am wrong...

The auto dealers are the largest local advertisers on television and in newspapers. Tesla doesn’t buy advertising. It can’t help but to skew the perspective of the local media.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.
—Upton Sinclair

The obvious answer is:

There is a massive misinformation and FUD campaign being waged against Tesla.

The list of enemies is long, but I suspect the fossil fuel industry. They have used this technique before and if I remember correctly, Tesla even proved the Koch brothers had budgeted a substantial amount towards this end.

I suspect the UAW has been behind the worker safety stories.

See “Merchants of Doubt”by Conway and Oreskes...

Reactions: kbM3