Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do people think Recaro is making the Next Generation seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure that's an accurate description of the black hole issues. I don't think we were ever able to ascertain the exact reasons the cars that wound up in the black hole wound up there.

We do know that there is and was a shortage of the Next Generation seats, but I don't think it's ever been categorically proven it was an airbag issue. There have been rumors about safety issues, and that Tesla wanted them to be safer, and there have also been things said about the port issues. But I don't think we know anything definitively.

As for the black hole cars, I'm pretty sure the consensus is that their issues were more than just seat issues.

Certainly that is my feeling. I think the initial emails from Jerome made note of seat issues but as time went on (and on) we got other emails about how slow it is to replace parts manually etc.

Certainly that is my feeling. I think the initial emails from Jerome made note of seat issues but as time went on (and on) we got other emails about how slow it is to replace parts manually etc.

The parts they had to replace manually were the seats.

The parts shortage was for the fixed seats.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure that's an accurate description of the black hole issues. I don't think we were ever able to ascertain the exact reasons the cars that wound up in the black hole wound up there.

We do know that there is and was a shortage of the Next Generation seats, but I don't think it's ever been categorically proven it was an airbag issue. There have been rumors about safety issues, and that Tesla wanted them to be safer, and there have also been things said about the port issues. But I don't think we know anything definitively.

As for the black hole cars, I'm pretty sure the consensus is that their issues were more than just seat issues.

Jerome's email specifically called out an issue with the airbags in the next gen seats.

Yes, his email indicates there may have been other issues, but the big holdup, labor crunch ("10x as much labor"), and part shortage was to pull out all of the problem next gen seats from the first run of P85D's and replace them with whatever seats they could get their hands on - either fixed next gen seats (which port issues caused a supply problem with), or previous gen seats.

This article says "Futuris Automotive is getting a new factory the size of three football fields in Newark, Calif., ready to rev up production of seats and headliners for Tesla"

http://www.wsj.com/articles/electric-car-pioneer-elon-musk-charges-head-on-at-detroit-1421033527

Futuris, currently leasing space on the floor of Nummi (I got to see them busily working during my factory tour with a big "Futuris" sign over their section), makes the old gen "nappa" and "performance" seats. Presumably the textile ones too, though I only saw leather ones being made when I toured.

Interesting to hear they are moving out. Tesla will eventually need all the space they have at Nummi to crank out 500k cars a year.

The configurator now shows the interior with next generation seats only in the front. The back seat is illustrated as the old version, even with the small headrests. The PDF for my car on My Tesla is also updated and looks the same with the old back seat.

I really hope this is only an error in the configurator.
next-gen_front_old_back.png

hmmm... same here. Thankfully I have saved the original pdf, but this is hopefully just a website glitch. I thought the headrests in the back where larger due to euroncap-testing and many customer complaints.

Anyway, if this turns out to be real I will demand a discount for those seats.

hmmm... same here. Thankfully I have saved the original pdf, but this is hopefully just a website glitch. I thought the headrests in the back where larger due to euroncap-testing and many customer complaints.

Anyway, if this turns out to be real I will demand a discount for those seats.

Yeah, I have the original PDF also, with the same wording that is on all of my other paperwork, "Black Next Generation Seats." PDF has the pic with front and back next gen from the day I reconfirmed the order in October. I was told not to expect a seat refit until Q2, however. I don't see how this could be a glitch on the website since the image of next gen front and the old style rear never existed in the design studio until now...

I also will demand compensation if they do not delivery on the next get rear seats by the end of Q2.

Yeah, I have the original PDF also, with the same wording that is on all of my other paperwork, "Black Next Generation Seats." PDF has the pic with front and back next gen from the day I reconfirmed the order in October. I was told not to expect a seat refit until Q2, however. I don't see how this could be a glitch on the website since the image of next gen front and the old style rear never existed in the design studio until now...

I also will demand compensation if they do not delivery on the next get rear seats by the end of Q2.
I noticed a few other glitches when playing around. Got a view of exec-seats without the left rear hearest among other things. From what I've seen of js-code and functionality of the design studio similar glitches have come before where settings have been missed. I believe the pictures in the studios are only layered and could easily have been ticked as "rear = standard when next gen front is chosen".

I will loose all faith if Tesla does this on purpose without any warning.

Last edited:
Picked up car yesterday and have the NG seats front and back. I think its is Recaro because the seats fit me so perfect ( I am 6 foot tall and weight 170 pounds) that it looks like the Germans did not take the "average American" weight into account :) :)

The configurator now shows the interior with next generation seats only in the front. The back seat is illustrated as the old version, even with the small headrests. The PDF for my car on My Tesla is also updated and looks the same with the old back seat.

I really hope this is only an error in the configurator.

I posted this in the "Tracking P85D next-gen seats delivery" thread, but I called Tesla Ownership a few minutes and they confirmed no more next-gen rear seats from now on. Apparently they are doing this based on feedback, so it must not have been very good...

EDIT - I started a new thread here to discuss this here:
Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours

Last edited:
I posted this in the "Tracking P85D next-gen seats delivery" thread, but I called Tesla Ownership a few minutes and they confirmed no more next-gen rear seats from now on. Apparently they are doing this based on feedback, so it must not have been very good...

EDIT - I started a new thread here to discuss this here:
Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours

I heard this too but I wasn't aware that this was official yet. I think there is going to be a communication campaign on this so not sure if that means than anyone who doesn't already have it, won't get it.

I heard this too but I wasn't aware that this was official yet. I think there is going to be a communication campaign on this so not sure if that means than anyone who doesn't already have it, won't get it.

In my case they said that they could still fulfill the rears but I could have the choice of not upgrading them and keeping the rear bench as it is (no refunds though).

As my rear seats will mostly be used by kids, I could care less. But I WOULD expect a discount if the rears are not going to happen. I can't imagine the entire cost of the upgrade was only for the fronts.

I initially though the same as you. However on the configurator, new orders shows next-gen seats (fronts only) still cost $3500.

(PS: I think you meant "I could NOT care less", otherwise it means you do care :wink:)

When is Tesla going to get its act together? First they launch next gen seats, then they ship cars without due to airbag glitch, then folks are not getting the rear next gen seats because Tesla decided that nobody liked them so they stopped shipping them, yet some did get them for the same price others are receiving only front seats... even though what people ordered clearly showed new rear seats also. Tesla then updates everyone's in-queue orders to reflect removal of next gen rear seats but without changing the price at all, essentially giving you less than what you thought?

Maybe I'm fuzzy on the details, but why does Tesla keep doing this back and forth nonsense? This is not good for Tesla's reputation and is giving me pause. They keep doing the same thing over and over again, so it's obviously not a concern for them, but from this side of things they are starting to appear somewhat incompetent. It also gives me pause that what you order is not what you will receive. That's not a good feeling to have when you buy a car in this class.

For me the new seats was a big reason for actually ordering the car in the first place. If they just change it like this without informing me I will be extremely disappointed.

So much nonsense from this company in terms of communication that its actually borderline scary. Who the hell goes through this process and actually approves it? And only a matter of weeks after several other comms disaster with seats, top speed and range?

Someone in Tesla needs to replaced rather soon. They clearly have no control over their communication towards customers.

For me the new seats was a big reason for actually ordering the car in the first place. If they just change it like this without informing me I will be extremely disappointed.

So much nonsense from this company in terms of communication that its actually borderline scary. Who the hell goes through this process and actually approves it? And only a matter of weeks after several other comms disaster with seats, top speed and range?

Someone in Tesla needs to replaced rather soon. They clearly have no control over their communication towards customers.

I doubt any of these changes occur without Musk's knowledge and approval. That's the first door we should be knocking on.

I am surprised that some people are so agitated about whether or not they get rear seats with somewhat bigger side bolsters and slightly taller headrests, or don't get them. It's not a big deal in the scheme of things.

At least Tesla appeared to be listening to feedback from those who received the Next Gen rear seats. If it was overwhelmingly negative, then stopping offering them would be the right decision.

Okay, now you can criticize me for giving Tesla a pass, for not caring about Tesla not communicating personally with every new owner who expected a slightly different rear seat, or whatever. Fire away...