Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do people Use MS/MX/M3/MY for Tesla's vehicles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BEFORE you say "the 'M' stands for MODEL duh!".....
Hear me out.....

/begin rant
Tesla S
Tesla X
Tesla 3
Tesla Y

Tesla Model S
Tesla Model X
Tesla Model 3
Tesla Model Y

Model S
Model X
Model 3
Model Y

Are we going to say MC and MR? (Model Cybertruck, Model Roadster?) Probably not because we do not call the OG Roadster MR or MoR......

So why has this "craze" of calling the vehicles M-whatever?

I am not going to list every other car manufacture, but I have yet to find one that abbreviates it to this way.......

So WHY?

/end rant

My guess is, because people want to shorten everything down, like there is some limitation on characters when you post on a website or something.

I think its really dumb to read something like " So I was going out to my MY...." but people absolutely do it.
Thank you....

the 'my MY' is high up there....

but I didn't know Tesla made an M3 i thought BMW did......:

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I am not a fan of the 'my MY' usage either. If I had a Model Y I'd never write MY, but that's me. I don't even like M3 much, but I can call my car the P3D- so that works. This abbreviation requires some explanation to non-Tesla owners and to Tesla owners too, come to think of it. I own one and had to ask initially why these characters were used like this, though I had a rough idea. Performance Dual Motor - PUP (another acronym) which is Performance Upgrade Parts. I've learned a lot just reading through posts and making sense of all the acronyms and initialisms.

Some people use phones and such so I suppose it's a little easier if you're using a tiny virtual keyboard to write M3, MY, etc.

It is imperative that one always list the model S, 3, X, and Y in that order when listing them all. :D

S3XY!

I am not a fan of the 'my MY' usage either. If I had a Model Y I'd never write MY, but that's me. I don't even like M3 much, but I can call my car the P3D- so that works. This abbreviation requires some explanation to non-Tesla owners and to Tesla owners too, come to think of it. I own one and had to ask initially why these characters were used like this, though I had a rough idea. Performance Dual Motor - PUP (another acronym) which is Performance Upgrade Parts. I've learned a lot just reading through posts and making sense of all the acronyms and initialisms.

Some people use phones and such so I suppose it's a little easier if you're using a tiny virtual keyboard to write M3, MY, etc.

It is imperative that one always list the model S, 3, X, and Y in that order when listing them all. :D

S3XY!

Was hoping someone would pick up on that SX3Y! purposely did that.....=]

the P3D I can kind of understand (sort of)....the M prior to everything to shorten model, yup, glad someone else agrees. I feel it has been some Youtube influencers that started that and their followers just kept doing it (i am NOT going to go searching for this origin), but it just feels like this would be one of those things

Was hoping someone would pick up on that SX3Y! purposely did that.....=]

the P3D I can kind of understand (sort of)....the M prior to everything to shorten model, yup, glad someone else agrees. I feel it has been some Youtube influencers that started that and their followers just kept doing it (i am NOT going to go searching for this origin), but it just feels like this would be one of those things

Triggered me, you did! Discombobulated, I was! :) The M3 is less egregious than MY. I always read it as 'my' but shouting. :D

I guess since I will always associate M3 with the proper car (BMW M3) I will NEVER ever...EVER get used to saying or reading a Tesla MODEL 3 as a M3....ever....

That ship has sailed here at TMC.. or the horse has been beaten, killed, beaten some more, buried, and then beaten again, lol).

There are a lot of people here that came from BMW though and for most of us "M3" is a BMW, just like "911" is a porsche, and "AMG" is a Mercedes. Every time that is mentioned, a bunch of people start talking about "its just forum speak" and "lighten up" and then even "tesla is the real M3" (rofl).

I refuse to type it myself (at least in relation to tesla). I love my model 3P, and picked it over the M3 I WAS going to buy (the real one). Still, even with that, a M3 is a BMW to me, but people here decided otherwise and its not worth the online argument.

While an M3 is definitely a BMW, referring to Tesla vehicles this way isn't a forum thing or a YouTube thing; Tesla does it themselves. There's a bit of back story behind this photo. I had ordered some wiper blades for my old Model 3. In addition to the set of blades I ordered, they also shipped me two huge boxes containing a total of 40 extra passenger side blades. They didn't quite believe me when I asked for a return label to send them back, so they asked for a photo.

upload_2020-10-8_20-53-47.png