Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do so many people misspell Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can only speak for myself. I type very fast without looking at the keyboard, and I have made this mistake quite a few times. It's a typo, not a spelling error. Sometimes the S and L get switched. Not sure why, except maybe it is because it uses the same finger on opposite hands and one hand is slower sometimes? (I do have a conditions that affects my nerves and reflexes). I usually catch it in edits, but not always..

I can only speak for myself. I type very fast without looking at the keyboard, and I have made this mistake quite a few times. It's a typo, not a spelling error. Sometimes the S and L get switched. Not sure why, except maybe it is because it uses the same finger on opposite hands and one hand is slower sometimes? (I do have a conditions that affects my nerves and reflexes). I usually catch it in edits, but not always..

That's what I thought, but you keep reading their post and they repeatedly spell Tesla as Telsa. There is no place in their post where Tesla is spelled correctly. No way they could've been typing too fast.

FWIW, at least I haven't heard it pronounced Telsa, yet.

I've always been a slightly dyslexic typer. Some times letters from one hand seems to get out before the other. :)

I tried changing Windows autocomplete in Windows 7 to change "telsa" to "Tesla", but that only seems to effect MS Office Apps like Word and Outlook and does not work in the text input windows of TMC in Firefox.

I'll try to be more careful in the future.

Maybe you should switch to a Dvorak keyboard...

Just as maddening ( to me ) are the people who mispell rogue as rouge. One of them is a scoundrel, the other one is red makeup.

That's what I thought, but you keep reading their post and they repeatedly spell Tesla as Telsa. There is no place in their post where Tesla is spelled correctly. No way they could've been typing too fast.

FWIW, at least I haven't heard it pronounced Telsa, yet.

You haven't been to enough car shows. I've corrected a number of people who called my car a 'Telsa'. Another popular mispronunciation is 'Tesler'.

Someday maybe people will get it right, maybe when it's as well known as 'Shivy' and 'Dorf'.

Sorry , I meant Chefy and Frod. Or is it Frodo?

Last edited: