Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do so many people put an S in front of 70D, 85 and 85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do so many people put an S in front of 60, 70D, 85 and 85D? Isn't it kind of pointless? Why say S70D? There is no P70D. So isn't 70D distinguishable enough? 60 isn't distinguishable enough, 85 etc...? I kind of understand for newbies to the Tesla world but for folks who've been around awhile to say it kind of makes me scratch my head.

Why do so many people put an S in front of 60, 70D, 85 and 85D? Isn't it kind of pointless? Why say S70D? There is no P70D. So isn't 70D distinguishable enough? 60 isn't distinguishable enough, 85 etc...? I kind of understand for newbies to the Tesla world but for folks who've been around awhile to say it kind of makes me scratch my head.

History. Dates back to before the Model S was even around, when there were only 2 types - standard and performance, and the 40/60 hadn't even gone into production yet. Tesla didn't badge any of the initial cars or have designations for them in the design studio; it was either "standard" or "performance".

So people got into standard practice of distinguishing standard from performance by abbreviating it S vs. P. Then Tesla introduced their designators as they started producing the 60 kWh pack: initially "P85", "85", and "60", then P85+... until we have today's picture.

That and old habits die hard.

So the new people to the forums may not understand it - but there is rhyme and reason behind it.

(We won't get into the confusion of overloading "S" to mean "signature" versus "special signature" versus just "Model S" in addition to "standard".)

I think I've only been putting the S only on the 85 thinking that it needs a letter . . .

P85
85D
P85D
70D

They all have letters! If you put just 85, it looks odd! IMHO!

But, I hear you completely. It would be inconsistent to put the S on the 85 . . .

I even did that below in my signature file!!!

Just be glad the letters and numbers weren't arranged differently or we'd all be discussing our PMS85 or PMS85D all over the news...

It's already bad enough that I see "BSD" when someone puts "85D". It's even worse when someone puts "85D 4.3 sec 0-60 time"; I have a bit of a flashback that nears aneurysm to "BSD 4.3".

I think TMC needs to appoint an official board with the purpose of defining the correct nomenclature for Tesla vehicles. I volunteer.

Here's one way it could be done:

[Model] [if applicable Performance model] [Battery] [if applicable dual motor drive]

Examples:

X85D (Model X, standard (non-performance) 85 with dual drive)

SP85D (Model S, performance, 85 with dual drive)

Yes I know the D for X is really not necessary, since all X will be D, and the D for P isn't either, since probably all P's in the future will be D but we have to remeber our heritage (like the P85 and P85+).

The use of S to mean "standard" will be gone quickly once the Model X comes in to play, the S will only mean Model S. I'm sure of this.

Or Signature as pointed out above but that got drowned out quickly.
Yup. There was a time when "S85" and "P85" could be signature or standard and production or performance. I guess we need more letters. Or some umlauts or somesuch.

I still get a chuckle because when I look up my P85Sig 5-digit VIN serial number on TMC it points to a post not for my car. (Reservation sequence number vs. vehicle VIN number confusion, I've presumed.)

brianman said:
I still get a chuckle because when I look up my P85Sig 5-digit VIN serial number on TMC it points to a post not for my car. (Reservation sequence number vs. vehicle VIN number confusion, I've presumed.)

I imagine it's the same for me. My VIN is lower than my sig sequence # was (I was one of the lucky waitlisters). Only difference is that there isn't an S1127 VIN to confuse with my waitlist number. I also had a P reservation number. Confusion all around!

So you could have a "Model S Special Signature Standard 85" or an SSSS85, which means you owned a Roadster and skimped on the Model S. You'd subsequently be probe-searched by all the TSA agents operating outside their legal airport jurisdiction.

Yup. There was a time when "S85" and "P85" could be signature or standard and production or performance. I guess we need more letters. Or some umlauts or somesuch.
I think that time has long passed. Most (all?) of the Signature owners seem to stress the "Sig" part, rather than leaving it to the S in S85 (see your own signature :wink:).

It seems we do need a "Proper Acronym Committee," though, or we're doomed to another SC SuperCharger/Service Center fiasco. :biggrin:

Because Model X.

Last edited:
Because Model X.

That'll just multiply the confusion, unless Model X's battery packs are completely different than Model S. You'll have the SS85D or XS85D. :)

And imagine the speculation on this forum when the Model 3 comes around. We might have the 385D... yowzers, 385 kWh battery pack, or Model 3 85 kWh pack?!

Which reminds me: I presume it was a Tesla factory employee wearing a "combined SX line" t-shirt onto the plane last week when I was flying back home. Didn't get a chance to talk to him.

History. Dates back to before the Model S was even around, when there were only 2 types - standard and performance, and the 40/60 hadn't even gone into production yet. Tesla didn't badge any of the initial cars or have designations for them in the design studio; it was either "standard" or "performance".

So people got into standard practice of distinguishing standard from performance by abbreviating it S vs. P. Then Tesla introduced their designators as they started producing the 60 kWh pack: initially "P85", "85", and "60", then P85+... until we have today's picture.

That and old habits die hard.

So the new people to the forums may not understand it - but there is rhyme and reason behind it.

(We won't get into the confusion of overloading "S" to mean "signature" versus "special signature" versus just "Model S" in addition to "standard".)

Even back then I thought it was kinda dumb considering people also used S before that for sigs and P for production.

*edit* Dave and Brian beat me to it.

I think in part because it removes any possibility of confusion. If someone just says "85", are they just being forgetful and leaving their additional classifications off? Are they talking to a point about all cars in the 85 range?

Saying S85 helps identify that you are talking specifically about that version of the car, not making a statement about all cars in the 85 battery range.

I think the addition of D kind of mitigates the problem so you can say 85D I guess but for none D models it becomes an issue of vagueness. When you tell someone you have an 85 as mentioned above, to someone who is not familiar with Tesla may not understand which 85 you mean.

But it also has merit in SEO, 85 is just vague. S85 is more concrete. But with the edition of D you can say 85D just fine. But some people just have the habit of doing S85D.