Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do so many Tesla owners back in to park?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually it's safer to back in according to the internet. Tesla owners usually are a safer bunch of drivers. So maybe that's why.;)

I think it's because we as drivers are used to it. I back into stalls and I also back into the garage. Feel like the batmobile is always ready to zoom away.

If the parking is on the right side and the space is narrow, it is easier to back into that space than head in. But that's about the only case I back in at shopping center. I head in because I need to use my trunk. I don't use the frunk at all. If you back in then your trunk is facing another car or the wall.

I back in at home because that's where my charger is located.

For me it's totally unrelated. I started backing in years before I got my Model Y. Got tired of trying to avoid the assholes parked across from my driveway as I backed out. So maybe it's just that Tesla owners are more likely to be older/more experienced drivers.

It seems to me that I see way more Teslas parked rear end first than other cars and not just at SCs. Is this because people are used to doing it at SCs and just do it all the time now? Because they are using auto-park? Or am I just imagining it?
I have done this for a long time, it’s safer in parking lots In particular. In the Tesla even more so because it has good reversing cameras.

I assume people just opening their eyes because of the Supercharger thing.

I've not particularly noticed it with Teslas, but it is certainly a Boston thing. Can't tell you how often I've sat and waited on a parking ramp while someone gees and haws back and forth four times in their effort to put a six foot wide car into a 9 ft wide spot, when they presumably could just have driven straight in going forward.
I don't buy the "safer" thing at all (is there data?). To me it makes complete sense to pull in forward so you can see both all the obstacles and where the corners of your car are in the tight confines of the parking space, and then backing out into the giant empty space in the aisle behind you.
Of course there's plenty of evidence that many/most people have no clue of where their car is in space or relative to anything else. Watching the parallel parking follies out the office window was proof of that!