Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do some race cars run staggered wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have a rear wheel drive-system then you will want stagger (wider tires) for more rubber onto the road for better grip, small in the front for better handling, and lighter wheel in the front. Same can also be applied for front wheel drive, but less handling and you lose turning radius.

So it all depends on your car application. If your just using your tesla as a daily driver, stick with just OEM as if you do not properly setup your car correctly you may risk inefficient/imbalance of your car.

As has been said, it can really come down to the needs of the particular car, setup, and intended load distribution.

You'll see a porsche with huge rear tires compared to front which works out about uniformly in Tire/Weight ratios. But on something like a FWD race car, you may see square even though they have high weight differences. This does two things, first tires can be rotated. Second with excess rear grip you can force the rear to do more work with biasing total weight transfer to the rear and is why you see AWD and FWD car tri-podding a lot. My car is literally set up to turn on 3 wheels.

On something like a tesla with 50/50, I wouldnt run a stagger at all cause tire rotation. But you could certainly make it work and I would likely be faster if effectively used.

If you have a rear wheel drive-system then you will want stagger (wider tires) for more rubber onto the road for better grip, small in the front for better handling, and lighter wheel in the front. Same can also be applied for front wheel drive, but less handling and you lose turning radius.

So it all depends on your car application. If your just using your tesla as a daily driver, stick with just OEM as if you do not properly setup your car correctly you may risk inefficient/imbalance of your car.

huh

Reactions: OUengineer
For simpler terms to understand. wider tires = more traction.
Not really - until some point. If you have larger tire it stays colder and there is always optimal temperature for maximum grip.

At some size it reaches optimal grip from tire to pavement pressure, but it mostly matters during turns.

So wider tires can give less traction easily as well.

There's this to consider too:
Tyrrell-P34-ft.jpg

“We know that square setups are generally best for our cars”

I agree with this statement.

Wait, don’t all tesla models have a staggered setup on the performance model?!

It's for bragging rights, ego, and marketing. Staggered rims really don't offer any performance enhancement until the very edge of the performance envelope, which most people never even approach in street legal cars. You might notice a different with staggered track tires on a track, but normal driving on regular streets, I don't think staggered tires offer any advantages.