TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why do the front heated seat controls deserve so much room on the UI?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by SDKoala, Jun 29, 2018.

1. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

Here's where I'm sure I'm going to tick off all the cold weather owners out there, but being the summertime, perhaps it won't be as divisive as it could be in the middle of the winter.

Does anyone else find it strange that the driver and front passenger heated seat controls take up so much valuable screen real estate? Is there really a need for these to be present on the home screen all the time? I'd trade those controls for larger HVAC buttons in a heartbeat. I know there are people who "set it and forget it" as evidenced by another thread a few weeks back, but I think most of us can agree that adjusting the HVAC controls with the tiny arrows is more difficult than it should be while driving. I'd bet adjusting the HVAC controls is way more common in the overall owner population than controlling the heated seats too.

All the other buttons along the bottom of the screen at least make sense. Some are frequently used (car settings, phone, music, HVAC). Others might not be used often, but are vital to safety if needed (front and rear defrost), so I have no problems with them being there. The front passenger volume control I accept because there's no other way for the passenger to make that adjustment. But the front heated seat controls are non-vital and could easily be in the HVAC sub-menu with the rear heated seat controls.

Sorry, small percentage of people who park outside in the winters, you'll have to suffer through a couple of extra taps to turn on your heated seats the few months of the year when you actually need it. You're probably already pre-warming your car, so it won't be too bad. Plus, it shouldn't be hard for Tesla to add a remote command to turn on the heated seats and you should be asking for that anyway.

Some of this is tongue-in-cheek, but it speaks to UI design choices that don't seem to consider actual function or user interaction. Better question is, what's going to take up those heated seat button spots in the non-PUP Model 3? We can probably expect a change involving those buttons at that time to keep the UI from becoming fragmented between the PUP and non-PUP versions, so may as well do it now. Even better, give us a customizable layout!

Bring on the disagrees...

(And yes, I submitted this suggestion weeks ago to Tesla, but they pretty much don't respond to small things like this from one person.)

2. bpjod

bpjod Member

For purposes of range, you want to prioritize seat heaters over heating the interior of the car when it's cold. They work more quickly and use significantly less energy. As for non-PUP cars, they'll still have those buttons as they come with heated front seats too.

3. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

I believe the front seats are still heated on the non-PUP. Just does not have the rear seats heated.

4. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

A little aside from the point, but since you both brought it up, where did you see that front heated seats will be standard? Nothing on the Tesla website says that front heated seats are going to be included in the standard model and they make it a point to specify that the premium package includes heated seats.

Model 3

5. bpjod

bpjod Member

From Model S description of PUP: "Heated seats throughout the cabin". We know that it comes with front heated seats in non-PUP config.

From Model 3 description of PUP: "Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout". It may be a leap, but my presumption is that throughout would be more applicable to the "premium heated seating" than the "cabin materials", much like on the Model S description of heated seats throughout. My suspicion is that there are front heated seats on the Model 3 from their wording.

There are a few other reasons I presume this to be true as well. Firstly, the impact on range of using the cabin heater vs. heated seats is huge. Tesla is not that dumb. Secondly, all other BEVs have heated front seats in their basic configuration IIRC, so why would the more expensive Tesla offering not. Thirdly, the Model 3 at release had the front seats fully operational, but it took them a number of months (winter months at that!) to activate the rear heated seats. Makes me believe the front heated seats were a feature that all trims of the Model 3 are to have, but since the rear seats are only a subset of cars, their controls were given a lower priority and were released in a later software update.

So they haven't directly said that the standard trim will have heated front seats, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I have bumped those seat heater "buttons" by mistake a few times. I wish they were under a sub-menu so they didn't turn on as easily.