Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do the headlights flash in sentry mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do the headlights flash in sentry mode? Is it that the front camera is not good enough to pick out features of wrong uns?
When at work I rent a flat with herringbone parking outside, nose in to the footpath. Consequently if I enable sentry then I get up to 40+ videos of startled pedestrians staring at a car that’s just flashed at them.

Reactions: positiv
Pretty pointless really isn’t it? They don’t flash if it’s side or rear cameras I don’t think …. or do they?
Either way it’s now had to be switched off as it’s just attracting attention in those circumstances🤷🏼‍♂️

It deters people from sitting on the bonnet (at least sometimes). One of the first Sentry Mode recordings I had showed a couple having a chat in front of the car at night and obviously after a few drinks ... the guy starts shuffling backwards towards the front of the car as he's chatting, then suddenly straightens up with a start and turns round as the car flashes. Fortunately the chat with his female companion was ultimately more interesting and they both just pointed and then moved a little further away to continue their conversation. Job done I would say!

Upvote 0
It deters people from sitting on the bonnet (at least sometimes). One of the first Sentry Mode recordings I had showed a couple having a chat in front of the car at night and obviously after a few drinks ... the guy starts shuffling backwards towards the front of the car as he's chatting, then suddenly straightens up with a start and turns round as the car flashes. Fortunately the chat with his female companion was ultimately more interesting and they both just pointed and then moved a little further away to continue their conversation. Job done I would say!
Fair enough if you can park where there’s little foot traffic. Unfortunately where I’m parking it’s the pavement equivalent of Monday morning M1. I thought I’d give it a go after a very nice person drove into the space next to me and dented the rear wheel arch then buggered off😡. However I’ve come to the conclusion I never had sentry on any other car, never bothered about an odd car park scuff so why am I now🤷🏼‍♂️. Turned sentry off, I’m not going to get turned neurotic about a car 🤣.

Upvote 0
Fair enough if you can park where there’s little foot traffic. Unfortunately where I’m parking it’s the pavement equivalent of Monday morning M1. I thought I’d give it a go after a very nice person drove into the space next to me and dented the rear wheel arch then buggered off😡. However I’ve come to the conclusion I never had sentry on any other car, never bothered about an odd car park scuff so why am I now🤷🏼‍♂️. Turned sentry off, I’m not going to get turned neurotic about a car 🤣.

park the other way around?

Upvote 0

Same here really ... I rarely park anywhere that it's particularly necessary (famous last words), and certainly not at home, but it's nice to know it's an option if I'm overly concerned.

Upvote 0
Ha!

First time sentry alert on first occasion I ever set sentry. One evening with on street parking when at a restaurant found there was an alert on my return. Watched the footage. Saw a small group of teenagers at a distance spot the Tesla as they walked towards it down the street as one pointed at it.

One youth ran forward and sat on the nearside wing by the headlight and triggered the light flash. Cue much laughter from them as they walked past.

No damage done and the young folks obviously knew the car and it's capabilities :D
I laughed myself when I saw it!

Upvote 0
Ha!

First time sentry alert on first occasion I ever set sentry. One evening with on street parking when at a restaurant found there was an alert on my return. Watched the footage. Saw a small group of teenagers at a distance spot the Tesla as they walked towards it down the street as one pointed at it.

One youth ran forward and sat on the nearside wing by the headlight and triggered the light flash. Cue much laughter from them as they walked past.

No damage done and the young folks obviously knew the car and it's capabilities :D
I laughed myself when I saw it!
Yep, it's no magic answer but it does let people know they are being monitored so unless they are just hopeless cases there's a chance they'll move on.

Upvote 0