Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do you use TeslaFi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have used it for the full trial period and just signed up for the year. The service has lots of very cool data and likely need reporting or CSV extraction function.
However, it really helps and shines with charging and driving efficiency and getting details on your trips. For example the same trip in colder weather had lower efficiency than in warmer weather. This can help with estimating where to charge based on temp. Based on the data TeslaFi has, for each vehicle this could also become a predictive function. Seems like basic math. I’d be willing to help.

Couldn't find anyone else's referral code, so I used this one from nearly a year ago. Thanks, @kvandivo !

If anyone wants to try it and get extra time on their trial, use referral code

kvandivo

(I get a month of use out of it, too.. but I get more out of knowing that a useful website will be more likely to survive)
"Your referral code was found and your trial was extended an additional 2 weeks!"

Thanks Dre78. I'm still a very avid user of TeslaFi and have some pretty neat data. I have every single mile of travel since purchase recorded and just today I was wondering to myself how cold it was when I took a particular trip last winter, and I was able to easily look up the drive on TeslaFi and see that it was a lot warmer (20 degrees) than I thought, and I had a pretty good wH/mile rating!

Also, there's my continuing favorite data graph, attached... It's really cool to be able to see real world data based on how I drive my car, because that really increases the reliability factor of data, for me.

upload_2019-1-29_12-33-12.png

This is exactly what I was talking about. It's amazing to see my car's efficiency to be lower during lower temps, but it allows me to plan longer trips and charge-ups sooooo much easier. For example if we are driving over 200 miles to a destination and its under 50F out, I know to top off at most after 180-200 miles of driving. Given that we start with full battery and are driving at 70% efficiency in the winter. Bam!!!! Life made easy.

Reactions: Arctic_White
is anyone concerned that you need to provide your tesla.com username and password to the teslafi however?

You don't have to trust them with username/password if you provide them with an API token. That turned out to be easy for me, obtainable with a curl command:

On my Mac:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
curl --data @./req.json -X POST \
  --user-agent "mojotesla/1.0" \
  --header "Content-Type: application/json" \
  "https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token?grant_type=password" \
  | python -m json.tool

In req.json:

Code:
{
  "grant_type": "password",
  "client_id": "<client_id>",
  "client_secret": "<client_secret>",
  "email": "[email protected]",
  "password": "mypassword"
}

A little documentation reading for the tesla-api package by Tim Dorr will turn up the API client ID and client secret.

You might also find several "Tesla API token generators" if you google for that. Then you can feed TeslaFi with a token and a refresh token instead of handing over your tesla.com credentials.

It's not a bad idea to keep your credentials to yourself, no matter how much you trust the guys at TeslaFi. When I look at all of the purchase and financial documents that are stored in my Tesla account, I was happy to use an API token instead.

Mojo

I like it because it gives me a record of travel. I really like the temperature chart where I can see where things are most efficient. I like the additional detail I get on the firmware versions by actually being a member. I like seeing how much I've charged at each charger and how many kwh I've actually consumed. I like seeing how much drain I'm getting while idling and while sleeping.

Those come to mind.

If anyone wants to try it and get extra time on their trial, use referral code

kvandivo

(I get a month of use out of it, too.. but I get more out of knowing that a useful website will be more likely to survive)

used your code, thanks!

Don't know what you consider significant, but he is always adding new features concerning new data that is being sent from the API for the car and you can filter/sort on all the new data.

He's also recently added the ability to have teslafi automatically turn on sentry mode at home/non home, recognized/unrecognized areas.. stuff like that. (I like this feature quite a bit).

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
The Alexa skill/integration doesn't have anything to do with the car itself, per say. The integration just lets you 'ask Alexa' about things that you were normally need to go to the teslafi website to see. You can say 'alexa, ask my car what the range is' or things like that, and alexa will query teslafi and verbally tell you what you'd otherwise need to go to the teslafi website to see.

Some...whippersnapper having just acquired a Model 3, complained ...Teslafi is a service that Tesla themselves SHOULD provide for free.
Well at 48 years of age and a conservative at heart I can’t say I disagree with him.

The goal should be to provide a product and service so revolutionary that the shock and awe of the technology will drive consumers flocking to your dealership.

The Teslafi is just another layer of the customer experience that would enhance the driving experience...

Look at what apple has done with their eco-system of products...Tesla should take note.

I tried out TeslaFi and I normally like having a ton of data available, but I didn't see an immediate benefit to having all of this information.

If you use TeslaFi, what do you like about it? What are cool things you can do with this data that I'm not thinking about?

I can't thank Teslafi enough for a lot of things, sure its a tad ugly UI but the features I use the most are
*Alexa integration, I can voice command my car to do the stuff
* Web access controls, many times my phone was away or on charger and I want to turn on sentry mode because some idiot approached my car, click works.
* Lifetime Map, This map shows me what part of the city I drive on, its has no instant benefit but really comforting to know your habits
* Location tracking, I know where my car have been in every date and time, this could be evidence in court or a memory reminder to track back my steps when I lose something, its also a good test if I ever give my car to wife or Co worker etc.
*Cost per trip history, that's MEGA cool to know and a selling point when I tell people it costs me 8 cents to get to work

The Alexa skill/integration doesn't have anything to do with the car itself, per say. The integration just lets you 'ask Alexa' about things that you were normally need to go to the teslafi website to see. You can say 'alexa, ask my car what the range is' or things like that, and alexa will query teslafi and verbally tell you what you'd otherwise need to go to the teslafi website to see.

Ask my car to turn on the air conditioner ❤️