Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do you use TeslaFi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, would you say it's the best or are any alternatives better?

I honestly can't say. When I got my car at the end of December 2017 there weren't too many alternatives available then, so I had a TeslaFi account waiting and ready to go when I first sat down in my car in the showroom. I logged into TeslaFi right then, and have a record of every mile driven since (assume the API wasn't acting up, or I was in a no-signal area, etc).

So, all this to say that I've been happy enough with what TeslaFi offers that I haven't felt compelled to try out all of the alternatives.

Reactions: m3gt2
I honestly can't say. When I got my car at the end of December 2017 there weren't too many alternatives available then, so I had a TeslaFi account waiting and ready to go when I first sat down in my car in the showroom. I logged into TeslaFi right then, and have a record of every mile driven since (assume the API wasn't acting up, or I was in a no-signal area, etc).

So, all this to say that I've been happy enough with what TeslaFi offers that I haven't felt compelled to try out all of the alternatives.

That's perfect that you so much

Thanks, would you say it's the best or are any alternatives better?
This question poses much more than meets the eye. You can compare the various alternatives feature-for-feature, and there are threads with comments from users about most of the more popular tools. One thing you cannot do: easily move from one tool to another at any time during the life of your vehicle. None of the tools has the ability to import data from another tool. So if, say, you use Tool #1 for 6 months then decide you like Tool #2 better, switching to Tool #2 will not include any data recorded by Tool #1. Yes, you can download the data into a spreadsheet, but then you’re doing all the calculations on your own and not within the Tool. Examples where this impacts: any trend data over time like battery life, battery performance vs. temperature, etc.

Two suggestions: pick the tool you like best today because you’ll likely use it for the life of the car, and get a tool as early into your vehicle ownership as possible to include the most lifetime data. I like TeslaFi because it gives me a plethora of info detail that, while not always necessary, is a very nice-to-have over time. My Model 3 delivered 07/18 has had TeslaFi since only shortly thereafter and for $50/year the recorded data is just fascinating to me (yeah, I know, sorry).

Also, for anyone desiring a promotion code, here’s one: SalisburySamSays
Or use this link: https://www.teslafi.com/signup.php?referred=SalisburySamSays

In either case you will get an extra two weeks added to the standard two-week trial period when you sign up using that code.

This question poses much more than meets the eye. You can compare the various alternatives feature-for-feature, and there are threads with comments from users about most of the more popular tools. One thing you cannot do: easily move from one tool to another at any time during the life of your vehicle. None of the tools has the ability to import data from another tool. So if, say, you use Tool #1 for 6 months then decide you like Tool #2 better, switching to Tool #2 will not include any data recorded by Tool #1. Yes, you can download the data into a spreadsheet, but then you’re doing all the calculations on your own and not within the Tool. Examples where this impacts: any trend data over time like battery life, battery performance vs. temperature, etc.

Two suggestions: pick the tool you like best today because you’ll likely use it for the life of the car, and get a tool as early into your vehicle ownership as possible to include the most lifetime data. I like TeslaFi because it gives me a plethora of info detail that, while not always necessary, is a very nice-to-have over time. My Model 3 delivered 07/18 has had TeslaFi since only shortly thereafter and for $50/year the recorded data is just fascinating to me (yeah, I know, sorry).

Also, for anyone desiring a promotion code, here’s one: SalisburySamSays
Or use this link: https://www.teslafi.com/signup.php?referred=SalisburySamSays

In either case you will get an extra two weeks added to the standard two-week trial period when you sign up using that code.
I agree completely on all these points. I too got TeslaFi < 1 month after getting my Model X back in September '17 and love being able to look at the full historical dataset in TeslaFi.

It's nice to be able to reference TeslaFi without even saying the name...

Last night was at dinner with some people that somehow didn't know we had gotten a Tesla almost 2 years ago. During the conversation, I told the guy that if he was interested, I could actually pull up a Google map of every mile I've driven the thing since purchasing it. He (no doubt) assumed I was talking about the car itself and not TeslaFi, but there wasn't much point in muddying the water right then.

TeslaFi for the win.... again...

Reactions: BridgeMojo
omg if you're that young and immature to go after the generation that invented the computer and the internet.. go sell your Tesla, stop using the internet, and live in a cave.. peasant. :mad: Or take your kiddy trolling to Tiktok. not a science forum

To be fair, this GenXer started it. Several posts ago, I’d mentioned that some “entitled...millenial whippersnapper” had whinged about how Tesla should be providing TeslaFi’s services for free.

I use it to pull charge records to calculate our total electric vehicle charging cost since I have to pay roommates that share of the electric bill.

I also just started using the scheduling feature which has worked really well to wake my car up in the morning and turn on the HVAC, and the same when I’m about to leave work.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
@kvandivo Thanks for the use of your code for TeslaFi. I just took delivery of my Model S after Christmas and should have started using the tool right away. About 800 miles not recorded, but oh, well. It won't matter so much in the long run. We've been having cold weather here in Minneapolis (zero degrees F and below zero) and my efficiency is pretty low, especially with my 8 mile commute.

I wish there were a way to get the trip data out of the API, like the kWh used, but I don't see it listed in GitHub docs. I've got Trip B set as Lifetime trip.

yup, same for me.

Here's my early efficiency data, starting in the dead of winter. It can only get better from here, right?

Annotation 2020-01-17 143854.jpg

Reactions: Arctic_White
It WILL get better. I drove my car home from the showroom in -4F weather, and wondered what I'd gotten myself into. But, you learn to expect about 60% efficiency when it gets that cold and you just roll with it. (see what I did there?)

Here's the graph of 45,227 miles on a pre-Raven, MS 100D.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-17_15-18-2.png
    upload_2020-1-17_15-18-2.png
    163.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited: