Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does accelerating fast use more energy than accelerating slowly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably of no relevance to this conversation, but just in case:

If I disengage TACC there is a slight delay before Full Reg, which gives me time to sort out my accelerator foot position to smoothly take over from TACC. Similarly if I lift off accelerator pedal there is a slight delay before Full Regen is engaged (perhaps the amount of regen is smoothly increased to Full over a short period)

If I engage Neutral, coast a bit, and then re-engage Drive the Full Regen starts instantly (so for smooth driving I have to guess the throttle pedal position ahead of selecting Drive)

Dunno if any of that has any bearing on how much energy, if any, is being used by the motor when coasting in Neutral?

@sorka,

I had to get a faster canbus analyzer to capture all the frame ID's I needed for the coast down data. It looks like the inverter shuts down about 2 seconds after the car is put in neutral while coasting. I don't know what happens if you are modulating the pedal to maintain zero kw.

@sorka,

I had to get a faster canbus analyzer to capture all the frame ID's I needed for the coast down data. It looks like the inverter shuts down about 2 seconds after the car is put in neutral while coasting. I don't know what happens if you are modulating the pedal to maintain zero kw.

I'll include the raw files which will have all the data channels and a cave export with all of the channels.