Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does car occasionally auto lock with phone inside?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is only the second time the car auto locked the doors with the phone inside (both time while plugged in at SC). I’m curious why? Both times the hatch was open, so it was just an easy climb in. But I’d like to not be accidentally locked out when I forget the phone in the car.
Also, anyone know if one of those magnetic key boxes interfere with functioning of the key card?
Thanks

A magnet such as for attaching a Hide-A-Key box would not interfere with the Tesla key card. The Tesla key card contain an RFID chip and does not rely on a magnetic strip. I have a Hide-A-Key box on my refrigerator and it is much too small to hold the Tesla key card.

You should investigate why the Tesla Model Y is not reliably detecting your phone. Where are you storing your phone inside the vehicle when the Tesla auto locks?

Always have a key card in your possession; add a second phone as a key.

What model phone?

Do you have any 3rd party powered USB devices installed such as a powered USB hub?

Further to this, do you ever have problems with the car not unlocking for you upon walking up and trying the door handle? That can happen when the phone's operating system decides to shut down the Tesla app services running in the background and there are settings you can try (depending on phone model) that help reduce this from happening. I'm wondering if that's what's happening in these instances as well, maybe.

That happened to me, once, but I opened the app and unlocked the car on the app. From that point, it worked.

Another thread led me to this website: https://www.teslaring.com/ which looks like an awesome idea.
I got one of those rings and I really like it. I now wear it as my wedding ring. It's nice having the back up and I'm in the habit of using it to lock the car (I know it's supposed to lock automatically .... yep, I'm paranoid but I know that you are really watching me :cool:).

Reactions: Saxgod