Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Does EAP Brake So Late When Stopping In Traffic???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NEW 2023 Model Y Came with EAP for 30 Days

Using AP/EAP in city traffic on long multi-lane roads with lots of red lights. EAP always stops, but it often brakes so late when there is a vehicle directly in front of me that I’m worried some moron behind me will crash into the back of me if he/she is not paying attention. This doesn’t really happen (late braking) when the vehicle in front of me is already stopped at the red light; it seems to be only when the vehicle immediately in front of me is slowing for the red light ahead of me.

QUESTION: How can I adjust this late braking with AP/EAP????? I don’t see a setting for that.

Reactions: jiehan
Unfortunately EAP doesn’t work. It wasn't designed for anything. Inexpensive Fords and Kias can AutoPark. Tesla’s can’t because they wanted to save money by getting rid of radar and uss similar to the cheap move of removing passenger side lumbar support control and by placing fake caliper covers on the MYP rear brakes. It's all about money and taking advantage of a well-intentioned fan base that has fallen for lies, continual goal post moving and misinformation.
Once again, AP/EAP is not designed to be used in non-highway environments. Simple as that...
Respectfully, EAP is not designed to be used, period. Because it literally cannot be used. Those that paid for EAP either need to get full functioning EAP as promised, new hardware installed that actually functions or refunded the full amount plus interest. It’s been over 6 months with no functionality. EAP is currently a $6000.00 loan to Tesla and has been for over half a year.

Reactions: legendsk
Upvote 0
I paid for EAP. NoA, Autosteer, Auto Lane Change and Autopark all work fine for me on a daily basis.
I've tried Summon once in my driveway. It's just a parlor trick for me. If I was unable to get into my car in a parking lot because another squeezed me in, I'd try it again. I've never tried Smart Summon, as that seems ridiculous in SoCal parking lots with numerous impatient and speeding drivers. Hell, I hate to manually drive through most parking lots, because people are basically idiots.

2022 Model 3 LR EAP

Upvote 0
NEW 2023 Model Y Came with EAP for 30 Days

Using AP/EAP in city traffic on long multi-lane roads with lots of red lights. EAP always stops, but it often brakes so late when there is a vehicle directly in front of me that I’m worried some moron behind me will crash into the back of me if he/she is not paying attention. This doesn’t really happen (late braking) when the vehicle in front of me is already stopped at the red light; it seems to be only when the vehicle immediately in front of me is slowing for the red light ahead of me.

QUESTION: How can I adjust this late braking with AP/EAP????? I don’t see a setting for that.
You got 30 day EAP free? I didn't !!!
Where are you located?

And you are correct, I use AP a lot, and am always worried about getting rear-ended.

Whenever I am approaching stopped cars, I tend to turn off AP (up click of drive stalk, or tapping brakes) and manually gently back off from the accelerator.

The super hard braking that AP does is wasteful as it usually generates a gray bar on the left of green regen bar.

I assume grey bar on left of green bar means regen braking wasn't enough and AP had to use physical brakes.

AP would be much better if it starts gently slowing down when it "sees" stopped cars 300 ft away, that's how most people drive.

Upvote 0
You got 30 day EAP free? I didn't !!!
Where are you located?

And you are correct, I use AP a lot, and am always worried about getting rear-ended.

Whenever I am approaching stopped cars, I tend to turn off AP (up click of drive stalk, or tapping brakes) and manually gently back off from the accelerator.

The super hard braking that AP does is wasteful as it usually generates a gray bar on the left of green regen bar.

I assume grey bar on left of green bar means regen braking wasn't enough and AP had to use physical brakes.

AP would be much better if it starts gently slowing down when it "sees" stopped cars 300 ft away, that's how most people drive.
I’m in Idaho. I often manipulate the following distance by clicking and holding (to the left) the right scroll wheel. This moves the following distance all the way to the MAX 7, which helps dampen the late braking when approaching red lights.

Upvote 0

It literally can't. I don't think the camera resolution is good enough on HW3. 1280x960. There aren't enough pixels to make a sufficiently certain identification at long distances.

Humans have better eyesight in their foveas and better algorithms as well.

Upvote 0
Even from the point the computer displays a stopped car ahead to begin a gentle slowdown would be a big improvement.

It can see that there is a car, but with vision, unlike radar, it needs a number of successive frames, as well as enough resolution to see differences in size with some accuracy, to determine the car's velocity with sufficient accuracy. Radar gives velocity with doppler shift directly.

Most of the time the car ahead is not decelerating so it needs a certain confidence of a sufficiently large velocity difference---otherwise there'd be lots of new phantom braking.

I'm not disagreeing with you and the undesirability of its behavior.

Humans have better resolution and better ability to judge context and distinguish brake lights from running lights.

Reactions: KArnold
Upvote 0
It literally can't. I don't think the camera resolution is good enough on HW3. 1280x960. There aren't enough pixels to make a sufficiently certain identification at long distances.

Humans have better eyesight in their foveas and better algorithms as well.
Well that's for a full color pixel right? They always talk about how they train on "photon counts", so I assume that means they're exploiting the subpixel arrangement of the camera sensor and skipping any post processing.

Upvote 0