Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does everyone say the S drives the same X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did a swap overnight S for the X and I didn't feel that they were similar in anyway. The X felt much heavier even more when going from an ICE Sedan to Crossover/SUV. Also cornering was much much worse. Both the S I drive and the X were 2018 models. I do realize its the same wheelbase, lower frame, etc. But does anyone else feel the same?

Totally agree. We originally wanted an X, but got an S because the wait was too long. After driving an X last year, we are very happy that we got an S.

I do wish there was a suspension option for better handling though. The S really leans too much IMHO.

Absolutely not the same. The X is much higher, the driving dynamics are much different. But, the steering feel is like the S's, the suspension feels about the same to me, the brakes feel about the same. So yeah, I do feel the X drives like the S, just a bigger, higher, S.

Reactions: P85_DA
The Model X is the third best car I’ve ever driven. I prefer the model S and then the Model 3 over the X. The X definitely feels more top-heavy when cornering, which makes sense because it is.
We have a 2018 MS 100D and a Model 3 LR RWD.
I have driven many Xs.
Could have bought either car to replace my first Model S.
The X was tempting...
The X has lmore tech in the PUP
Front door pockets are a plus as well.
The S drives and handles dramatically better than the X.
The biggest advantage of the X is ease of entry and exit.
So those who are size challenged, that seems to be the deciding factor.
Also for families with kids that need more than a five passenger capacity or require a tow hitch the X is the right choice.
The S is definitely trickier to get in and out of.
The X’s automatic opening and closing front are doors super cool.
The cargo space in the S is amazing.
The capacity is better than I had in my Highlander hybrid.(I never overloaded either to the point where I couldn’t see out the rear window)
Completely unimpressed/disappointed with the cargo space of the X compared with the S.
Also, you do sacrifice quite a bit of range and power with a 100D X vs S.
Nothing beats 301 miles on a 90% charge in my Model S100D.
Never needing to charge beyond 90% at superchargers on long trips is a real timesaver and will definitely curb battery range degradation.

Some would say the X handles like a S with 7 people in it.

The X is also designed to tow 5,000 lbs, is much easier to enter and exit and has those falcon wing doors.

It is just a heavier vehicle and designed to appeal to a different buyer.

On the same note, the Model 3 is much lighter than the Model S and handles much crisper with a more nimble feel.

They are not designed to compete with each other, but appeal to a different buyer.

I love my 90 D S on coils. Tried an X and agree with above but not surprising to me. Would love to have one for the family, but the S is that now and I don’t regret. The 3 PD sounds like it should be most fun to drive, but it wouldn’t take three kids, wife, dog, and in laws road trippin’....

I have noticed one weird thing after going from an S (for 5 years) to an X: When I back into a parking spot, I used to be able to whip straight in with my S and got quite good at it. Even after 4.5 months with my X I am still "overshooting" the spot when I back in and have to pull forward and straighten out. Same spots I used to back my S into. The S and X have virtually identical lengths and wheelbases, so I'm not sure what the difference could be. I think the X cockpit is a bit further forward than the S and maybe that slightly different perspective is what's causing it. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's weird (to me) nonetheless.

I just did a swap overnight S for the X and I didn't feel that they were similar in anyway. The X felt much heavier even more when going from an ICE Sedan to Crossover/SUV. Also cornering was much much worse. Both the S I drive and the X were 2018 models. I do realize its the same wheelbase, lower frame, etc. But does anyone else feel the same?

Im not sure anyone who owns both actually thinks that. My X and S are night and day in terms of the drive. The S is far more fun to drive. Easier to fling around and faster acceleration.

Perhaps people are talking about the ergonomics? They share the same layout, so they drive the same in terms of where everything is located. But the seating position makes a big difference. The X is much more comfortable for me