Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does MCU2 have a working browser?

viper2ko

Aug 30, 2017
USA
No one seems to talk about this. Will MCU 1 get an update or is this the big upgrade Elon was referring to about the browser

Reactions: Lex

Derek Kessler

Apr 15, 2016
Cincinnati
As far as I know, MCU2's browser app is not significantly different, if at all, than the one on MCU1. What makes all the difference is the power of the MCU2 CPU — save crappy code, just run much faster.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike

Krash

Data Technician
Apr 18, 2017
Intermountain US
No, it is different. Check out the HTML5Test results for each. They might bring MCU1 code up to parity though.

Benchmark scores are like 10x different, but that only means like 2x in real time.

Last edited:

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
Why’s browser at all. A waste of development
When you have no apps (the SDK Elon promised is not coming, even Elon say that he "kinda thought of it" and decided against it a few years later), and no phone integration, this is the only alternative for things like Waze.

Lex

Apr 23, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Many models out there allow video playback at least from local sources eg. DVD on dash screen while in Park. I agree there should be no video playback during driving, period, but I frequently use my car in Park.

There must be other reasons for blocking, from internet at least eg. opens up more avenues for hack attacks, but maybe one day from USB stick in Park, or from the authorized sites eg. Tesla / SpaceX channels, YouTube ? I'd rather have a waypoint and be able to swipe away a certain street in NAV first though. It's a car first for me, there are other devices for other things.

Astraviel

Mar 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
At first I thought I would be irritated at not getting the new MCU, but I use the MCU so rarely it hasn't even bothered me. Outside of changing settings and telling the car where to go on the GPS and picking a radio station I barely use it.

Reactions: Lex and pilotSteve

Lex

Apr 23, 2015
Toronto, Canada
At first I thought I would be irritated at not getting the new MCU, but I use the MCU so rarely it hasn't even bothered me.
I agree, it's a decent experience today, but I use mine all the time, and even then I'm rarely waiting around, it does all that it needs to do, though I sure do want to get the updated browser (a nav waypoint and ability to swipe-away an unwanted road but that's just my own wish list).

To be honest I imagined I'd set aside funds for a "CPU upgrade" as soon as it became available, and I almost got to the 3 year mark, so that's pretty impressive, considering what it is really is a "mobile entertainment and navigation computer + climate and vehicle and control system".

I'm comfortable knowing there will be Nav, browser, and other updates, based on what's been reported so far (and my experience).

jelloslug

Jul 21, 2015
Greenville, SC
At first I thought I would be irritated at not getting the new MCU, but I use the MCU so rarely it hasn't even bothered me. Outside of changing settings and telling the car where to go on the GPS and picking a radio station I barely use it.
I like the latest and greatest but I want to see the performance of the new software before I drop thousands on a new MCU.

Astraviel

Mar 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I like the latest and greatest but I want to see the performance of the new software before I drop thousands on a new MCU.
Having the latest and greatest is hard with cars unless you want to lease forever, which of course is an option if you really want the latest and greatest all the time.

Naekuh

Feb 12, 2018
Los Angeles
My car has the new browser and i'll be honest with you...
Its nothing special.

Its a really dumb down browser, and honestly your better off browsing on your phone or a tablet if you intend to sit in your car and browse the web.

Sure you can look stuff up quick, but again its very limited in what it can do.
Your seriously not missing out on much if you dont have the new browser, the real prowess in the new MCU comes from the map rendering, and vector'd maps.

But the new MCU also brings in a lot of headaches, like GPS breaking, or not connecting to Wifi, or not being able to use summon on your phone APP, also not being able to soft reset...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC