TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why does MCU2 have a working browser?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by viper2ko, Mar 31, 2018.

1. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

No one seems to talk about this. Will MCU 1 get an update or is this the big upgrade Elon was referring to about the browser

• Like x 1
  2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

As far as I know, MCU2's browser app is not significantly different, if at all, than the one on MCU1. What makes all the difference is the power of the MCU2 CPU — save crappy code, just run much faster.

• Disagree x 1
  3. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Why’s browser at all. A waste of development

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 3
  4. Krash

Krash Data Technician

#4 Krash, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    No, it is different. Check out the HTML5Test results for each. They might bring MCU1 code up to parity though.

Benchmark scores are like 10x different, but that only means like 2x in real time.

5. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

Is it really that much better? I haven't seen much on it.

6. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

Theres videos comparing the two. The difference is unreal. Browser actually works and is usable

7. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

When you have no apps (the SDK Elon promised is not coming, even Elon say that he "kinda thought of it" and decided against it a few years later), and no phone integration, this is the only alternative for things like Waze.

8. f3honda4me

f3honda4me Member

Yea the browser speed is way faster. It is a newer browser version too.

9. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Supposedly, the new browser will be added to the old MCU. It will be on Tesla Time though so who knows when...

• Like x 1
  10. ChicagolandMX

ChicagolandMX Member

Will flash or video play on new browser?

11. Krash

Krash Data Technician

No. And video probably will not be enabled while Tesla pays for the data. And flash is blocked on the newest desktop browsers for security reasons so unlikely it gets added.

12. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

No, video playback is illegal in most, if not all states in the US where it's visible to the driver.

• Like x 1
  13. Lex

Lex Member

Many models out there allow video playback at least from local sources eg. DVD on dash screen while in Park. I agree there should be no video playback during driving, period, but I frequently use my car in Park.

There must be other reasons for blocking, from internet at least eg. opens up more avenues for hack attacks, but maybe one day from USB stick in Park, or from the authorized sites eg. Tesla / SpaceX channels, YouTube ? I'd rather have a waypoint and be able to swipe away a certain street in NAV first though. It's a car first for me, there are other devices for other things.

14. Astraviel

Astraviel Member

At first I thought I would be irritated at not getting the new MCU, but I use the MCU so rarely it hasn't even bothered me. Outside of changing settings and telling the car where to go on the GPS and picking a radio station I barely use it.

• Like x 2
  15. Lex

Lex Member

I agree, it's a decent experience today, but I use mine all the time, and even then I'm rarely waiting around, it does all that it needs to do, though I sure do want to get the updated browser (a nav waypoint and ability to swipe-away an unwanted road but that's just my own wish list).

To be honest I imagined I'd set aside funds for a "CPU upgrade" as soon as it became available, and I almost got to the 3 year mark, so that's pretty impressive, considering what it is really is a "mobile entertainment and navigation computer + climate and vehicle and control system".

I'm comfortable knowing there will be Nav, browser, and other updates, based on what's been reported so far (and my experience).

16. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I like the latest and greatest but I want to see the performance of the new software before I drop thousands on a new MCU.

17. Astraviel

Astraviel Member

Having the latest and greatest is hard with cars unless you want to lease forever, which of course is an option if you really want the latest and greatest all the time.

18. Naekuh

Naekuh Member

My car has the new browser and i'll be honest with you...
    Its nothing special.

Its a really dumb down browser, and honestly your better off browsing on your phone or a tablet if you intend to sit in your car and browse the web.

Sure you can look stuff up quick, but again its very limited in what it can do.
    Your seriously not missing out on much if you dont have the new browser, the real prowess in the new MCU comes from the map rendering, and vector'd maps.

But the new MCU also brings in a lot of headaches, like GPS breaking, or not connecting to Wifi, or not being able to use summon on your phone APP, also not being able to soft reset...

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1