Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Model 3 charge at 32 amps and not 40 like my S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not anymore. Even new S&Xs come with the Gen2 UMC that only supports 32 amps now. (You have to get a HPWC or old Gen1 UMC to get more than 32 amps now.)

There is also an option for a "corded mobile connector" with a fixed NEMA 14-50 plug: Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector

It mentions the "integrated 240 volt 50 amp rated plug for high power output" so I assume it can charge continuously at 40 amps.

It's listed as "Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector", but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a Model 3 as well.

I've only ever charged our Model 3 with our juicebox Pro + J1772 adapter and it charges at 40 amps and 36 mph. I didn't realize the Gen2 UMC could only charge at 32 amps until I started looking at the Gen2 adapter options at the Tesla web site and noticed that the max charging rate was only listed as 30 mph.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311 and McRat
There is also an option for a "corded mobile connector" with a fixed NEMA 14-50 plug: Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector

It mentions the "integrated 240 volt 50 amp rated plug for high power output" so I assume it can charge continuously at 40 amps.

It's listed as "Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector", but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a Model 3 as well.

I've only ever charged our Model 3 with our juicebox Pro + J1772 adapter and it charges at 40 amps and 36 mph. I didn't realize the Gen2 UMC could only charge at 32 amps until I started looking at the Gen2 adapter options at the Tesla web site and noticed that the max charging rate was only listed as 30 mph.
I use the Corder Mobile Connector for my Model S at 40 amps. I wanted a permanent setup in my garage and did not want to go with the Wall Connector or the mobile connector that came with the car.

• Informative
Reactions: wraithnot
It's quite simple. Tesla is cheap-assing anyone who buys a standard battery. In addition to less miles, they also cut you back with a reduced charge rate capability at anything other than a supercharger. That's right, your maxed-out HPWC will only charge a standard battery 3 at a dismal 32 amps. Because you didn't buy the $9000 big battery, which contains roughly $7000 in SHEER PROFIT for Tesla. So you must pay the penalty for not paying Tesla.

There's no other legitimate reason for giving us a weaksauce 32 amp charging cord. Other EV manufacturers will use this as reasons to buy their cars instead of 3's. Tesla could at least give us a high-amp charger option like they used to do on the S with dual chargers, even though the $2000 cost for that was also ridiculous.

It's quite simple. Tesla is cheap-assing anyone who buys a standard battery. In addition to less miles, they also cut you back with a reduced charge rate capability at anything other than a supercharger. That's right, your maxed-out HPWC will only charge a standard battery 3 at a dismal 32 amps. Because you didn't buy the $9000 big battery, which contains roughly $7000 in SHEER PROFIT for Tesla. So you must pay the penalty for not paying Tesla.

There's no other legitimate reason for giving us a weaksauce 32 amp charging cord. Other EV manufacturers will use this as reasons to buy their cars instead of 3's. Tesla could at least give us a high-amp charger option like they used to do on the S with dual chargers, even though the $2000 cost for that was also ridiculous.

What’s the connection to the Standard range battery? They’re shipping these 32A capped charge cords with Long range Model 3s as well as Models S and X. Faulty logic.

Not buying your logic.

You can still buy the older version CMC with hardwired 14-50 if you wanted to for $520:
Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector

There's also a 72A capable wall connector for $500:
Model S/X/3 Wall Connector

There was already discussion of the reason for the move to 32A, and most likely reason is that the 40A is a safety issue. Canada already banned the 40A version presumably because many houses have 14-50 wired to 40A breakers/circuits (in which case 32A is the appropriate safe charging limit). The US is similar too. There's also talk that the old UMC wasn't reliable at 40A.
New UMC 14/50 limited to 32 amps... WHY?!

As already mentioned, even the LR and the Model S/X is getting the gen 2 UMC, not just the Model 3 SR.

Whatever it is it's still a ton better than any of the other competitors, many of which still only come with a 110V EVSE.

I think you get the bigger 48 amp charger in the car (not the charging cord) with the big battery, an HPWC would be able to take advantage of the bigger charger in the car.
You are talking about a completely different subject then. The OP is talking about their LR charging only at 32A and the reason is because the gen 2 UMC is 32A.

No one has a SR yet.

Other EV manufacturers will use this as reasons to buy their cars instead of 3's.

How exactly will they when they don't have a faster charge rate than the Model 3 SR? The Chevy Bolt and BMW i3 both have the same 32 amp charger as the Model 3 SR, and the Nissan Leaf has a slower 27.5 amp charger. As far as supplied mobile connectors, the competition don't supply any 240 volt mobile connectors, only a 120 volt useless one.

Other EV manufacturers will use this as reasons to buy their cars instead of 3's.

"Dammit, it's gonna take 8 hours instead of 6 to charge my nice-looking, comfortable, sporty EV with lots of cool stuff while I sleep? F that, I'm going to buy a weirdo derp pod with the enjoyability of economy class air travel on a budget airline instead!"

…said nobody, ever.

I bought one of those and can confirm it will charge a LR Model 3 at 40amps 240V ( 9.6kW )