Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Model 3 need CCS/CHAdeMO adapter? This is why.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier this month, I finally got some use out of the CHAdeMO adapter that we've owned for the past two years or so. It was quite handy to be able to fast charge in a town (Palmdale, CA) that lacks Tesla Superchargers. We were staying overnight and lacked the ability to charge at our accommodations. We needed a 90% charge on our Model S 85 before leaving town, as we were planning to caravan with a group the next day and wouldn't have time to stop at a Supercharger.

While this might have been a bit of a corner case, the point is that you never know when it might come in handy to be able to charge at a non-Tesla location.

On a somewhat related note, I'm in favor of using a Tesla Wall Connector at home so that the UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) can always stay in the car. We've had Tesla owners come to our house to charge (we're in PlugShare) because they forgot their UMC at home and found themselves unable to charge at their rented cabin up here in the mountains.
Kinda digging this one up, but if you ever stay in Palmdale again, Element by Marriott has two Tesla chargers for customers to use. I see Tesla's there all the time.

Meaning they don't police them. There is a destination charger in Monterey I used to frequent as I was usually there long enough to fill up for the return trip. The only signage was Tesla Charging Only. Yay!

They finally put up a sign saying Employee Charging Only so it's no longer full all the time. The Volta free charging people have their headquarters near me and they must go thru the same thing, as their employee lots with charging are now turned off at the end of the business day. Free power is rarely free.

-Randy

Kinda digging this one up, but if you ever stay in Palmdale again, Element by Marriott has two Tesla chargers for customers to use. I see Tesla's there all the time.
Yes, Tesla destination chargers are great, and I believe other hotels in that area also have them. But if you have to make last-minute reservations and options are limited, if you're staying at someone's house without charging, or if you're staying at a National Park or Forest Service campsite (as we often do), it's helpful to have fast charging options.

Yes, Tesla destination chargers are great, and I believe other hotels in that area also have them. But if you have to make last-minute reservations and options are limited, if you're staying at someone's house without charging, or if you're staying at a National Park or Forest Service campsite (as we often do), it's helpful to have fast charging options.
Totally agree. They are supposed to be putting in a Supercharger here sometime according to Tesla but don’t know when or where. Just somewhere in Palmdale