Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does my car hate NPR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I listen to only one radio station in my car: 89.1, the local NPR station. I use streaming for music.

For years all was well.

In the last few months the car constantly defaults to a non-station, 96.7.

I change the station to 89.1 (my only "favorite" station), then when I leave the car and come back it's again dead air on 96.7.

Any idea what's going on? I tried rebooting and that fixed it for one drive (and I saw "89.1" in that white square in the upper left hand corner for the first time in months) but the next time I got in the car it was back to 96.7.

1650030807386.png

I listen to only one radio station in my car: 89.1, the local NPR station. I use streaming for music.

For years all was well.

In the last few months the car constantly defaults to a non-station, 96.7.

I change the station to 89.1 (my only "favorite" station), then when I leave the car and come back it's again dead air on 96.7.

Any idea what's going on? I tried rebooting and that fixed it for one drive (and I saw "89.1" in that white square in the upper left hand corner for the first time in months) but the next time I got in the car it was back to 96.7.

View attachment 793924
It's a conservative?

My only theory is - is it possible you have poor reception for 89.1 and rather than play static, the car is hunting for a new station or defaulting to something? Does it do this regardless of where your car is parked?
Nope, 89.1 comes in great. It worked normally for years, this is a new problem in the last few months.
It's either a hardware problem, a software bug, or a software state problem. It's worth trying the power-cycle reset per the Owner's Manual.

If that doesn't work, I'd make a service appointment.

I'd add a joke but have no ideas better than "Twitter Radio."
That was the rebooting that I tried. It worked for one drive and then went back to 96.7.

I have the converse problem, I can tune my local NPR station on the radio 88.1, but the TuneIn livestream just gets a loading error for the past three years. The reason I'd prefer the TuneIn is that I do get some static on the FM radio, being not close to the broadcast antenna.

One reason I'm hesitant to do the MCU2 upgrade, I'd lose FM. Sure, with the hardware upgrade the TuneIn livestream will 99% probably work again on MCU2, but if they can't even figure out what's wrong on MCU1 let alone fix it (I did have a service request but they couldn't do anything but confirm the failure), it could fail on MCU2 too.