Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does my extension cord strategy fail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying put together an extension cord strategy that provides flexibility while minimizing components.

My thought was to start with a 30 ft, 14-50 extension cord - this would allow connection at a 14-50 outlet using the Tesla 14-50 adapter on the mobile charger. Testing this configuration resulted in successful charging.

I then thought that I could use this same extension cord for 5-15 charging by using a 5-15M to 14-50F adapter > 14-50 extension cord > Tesla 14-50 adapter on the mobile charger. When I put this combination together, the mobile charger will not light up. I have tried both GFCI and non-GFCI 120v outlets.

Why does the mobile charger not operate in this scenario?

Seeking to learn. Thanks.

The 14-50 adapter on the mobile charger is programmed to pull 32A I think and the fact you have it plugged in to a 5-15 doesn't allow it to do so. In order to make your configuration work I believe you would need a 14-50M to 5-15F adapter at the end of the extension cord and then use a 5-15 adapter to the mobile charger. But at that point you might as well just get a regular 5-15 extension cord.

I've been trying put together an extension cord strategy that provides flexibility while minimizing components.

My thought was to start with a 30 ft, 14-50 extension cord - this would allow connection at a 14-50 outlet using the Tesla 14-50 adapter on the mobile charger. Testing this configuration resulted in successful charging.

I then thought that I could use this same extension cord for 5-15 charging by using a 5-15M to 14-50F adapter > 14-50 extension cord > Tesla 14-50 adapter on the mobile charger. When I put this combination together, the mobile charger will not light up. I have tried both GFCI and non-GFCI 120v outlets.

Why does the mobile charger not operate in this scenario?

Seeking to learn. Thanks.
The problem is that Tesla uses the Line-Line on the 14-50 to get its power from 240V.
When you try and use a regular 14-50 to 5-15 adapter, the 5-15 is powering the line-neutral.
This leaves the Tesla adapter trying to draw power from the line-the same line, which is nothing.

If you want to do this, EVSEadapters sells a 5-15 to 14-50 adapter for EV use only.

Yes. I bought a couple adapters from EVSE as @MattM24 mentioned above. All worked great. Though I actually have never used these. It was more of an experiment/learning process for me. I ended up buying a regular 5-15 extension cord for use with normal house outlet, and will use the 14-50 extension cord with proper adapters if I ever need to go higher. That hasn't happened in over two years of owning the car. But, I did learn some stuff along the way.

Reactions: MattM24