Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does my MX start charging during unscheduled times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mikevbf

Feb 11, 2012
vermont
I just changed my electric rate plan to get off peak cheaper charging. So I set my charger to charge at 2AM, but the car starts charging when I plug in at other times such as 7pm tonight. I read the manual and found the part where if the car misses it scheduled charge, it will start charging any time with in 6 hours of that time when plugged in. But, it did charge at 2am and 7 pm is more than 6 hours from scheduled time, so it should not have started charging. How can I fix this, so my car chargers only when I want?

It will pull some current (not full charging current) if you are just sitting in the car with climate on and it's plugged in.

Beyond that, I've never had that problem. I'd double check the schedule settings. Also make sure the car knows where it's at, since charging parameters are location based.

It will pull some current (not full charging current) if you are just sitting in the car with climate on and it's plugged in.

Beyond that, I've never had that problem. I'd double check the schedule settings. Also make sure the car knows where it's at, since charging parameters are location based.

It has charged more than 40 miles when I was not paying attention. Maybe it has something to do with it not knowing it's in my garage or that it thinks I want to schedule charge somewhere else. How would I check that?

The scheduled setting attaches to a location when you turn it on. The most probable thing is that it is a little off in figuring out its position, and it doesn't quite see itself at that same exact location. You might need to set it once or twice again if it think it is off by a little bit.

• Helpful
Reactions: mikevbf
I thought I had solved it by reconnecting to wifi, but my MX will still start charging at unscheduled times if I plug it in before locking the car. The only sure way to not start charging as soon as I hook it up is to lock the car before connecting it. I have to use the key fob to unlock the charge port. By connecting this way so far it has stuck to scheduled to charging. Until I figure anything else out, this will have to be my routine if I do not want to pay double for accidentally charging my MX during peak hours. If anyone else has had this experience or any suggestions, I would love to hear them.