Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does recirc keep going back to auto?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I prefer that everything be on auto but recirc locked ON. Contrary to what Tesla service claims, recirc ON prevents my cabin filter from getting stinky so I like to have it on. So I press Auto and after that, press the recirc button until it is dark blue: should be on. Typically it stays that way for a few days but eventually it'll be a "gauze/lighter" blue indicating it's back on the auto setting. Is there a trick for turning it on and KEEPING it on? It seems like it goes back to auto after sitting in a hot parking lot where it has to blast full AC when I get in the car: that might be the trigger that kicks it back to auto.

Mike

So when the AC is off and you first put it into auto, everything is auto, seat heaters, temp, fan speed, recirculation. When the car thinks it's time to put on recirculation the recirculate button will be a light blue.

After initially setting the AC to auto, if you manually turn on the recirculate once, it'll be a solid blue colour and it'll remain on recirculate, everything else temp, fan speed etc. will still be in auto.

The next time you turn off/on the AC again or tap the auto button off/on it'll go back into full auto everything again.

Reactions: pipp
So when the AC is off and you first put it into auto, everything is auto, seat heaters, temp, fan speed, recirculation. When the car thinks it's time to put on recirculation the recirculate button will be a light blue.

After initially setting the AC to auto, if you manually turn on the recirculate once, it'll be a solid blue colour and it'll remain on recirculate, everything else temp, fan speed etc. will still be in auto.

The next time you turn off/on the AC again or tap the auto button off/on it'll go back into full auto everything again.

I understand that is what is supposed to happen. But that's not how it works. Put it in auto, tap recirc so it is solid blue, never touch the HVAC controls again and a day to a few days later, open the HVAC controls and recirc is back to gauzed blue (auto). I don't know what triggers it but it will happen without turning HVAC off or even opening the HVAC controls.

Mike

Hm perhaps a software update has altered the behaviour. Or perhaps cabin preconditioning, keep climate on, dog mode, camp mode or turning on the climate control via the app somehow toggles the setting? Just throwing out some possible ideas incase you used any of these features during that period.

Hm perhaps a software update has altered the behaviour. Or perhaps cabin preconditioning, keep climate on, dog mode, camp mode or turning on the climate control via the app somehow toggles the setting? Just throwing out some possible ideas incase you used any of these features during that period.

Something along those lines is what I was thinking. I'm going to try different settings to see what triggers it. I do have cabin overheat protection enabled (fan only). But I don't know if that affects it because that is on all the time and the car can go several days/drives and be fine but on the third day (for example), it goes back to auto. I can't rule it out though because I can't prove it got hot enough in the cabin to trigger COP: maybe that only happened on that third day. I'll keep an eye on it.

Mike