Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does sentry mode keep turning itself on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I'm experiencing about 30 miles per night rundown of battery.
I can only think it's sentry mode.
But when I switch off sentry mode, it always comes back on again and I have no idea why?
Does anybody else have this problem?
Any help gratefully received.

Hello,
I'm experiencing about 30 miles per night rundown of battery.
I can only think it's sentry mode.
But when I switch off sentry mode, it always comes back on again and I have no idea why?
Does anybody else have this problem?
Any help gratefully received.

Make sure you dont have the setting in the car to turn on sentry mode automatically on.

Sentry mode should not burn down 30 miles per night. I lost about that much parked at the airport for nearly a week with sentry mode enabled. Something else is keeping your car awake. Do you have third party apps in your phone? Do you keep your phone in the house close enough to the car that it can stay connected and wake the car? Maybe you have heat protection enabled with the A/C on all night?

Sentry mode should not burn down 30 miles per night. I lost about that much parked at the airport for nearly a week with sentry mode enabled. Something else is keeping your car awake. Do you have third party apps in your phone? Do you keep your phone in the house close enough to the car that it can stay connected and wake the car? Maybe you have heat protection enabled with the A/C on all night?

Actually, yes it can. Sentry mode can use 1-2 miles per hour, so that is well within the normal "sentry mode 24 / 7" usage. I would challenge that you only lost 30 miles for a week, not plugged in, with sentry mode actually enabled 24 /7. That is the only report of this I have ever seen.

Actually, yes it can. Sentry mode can use 1-2 miles per hour, so that is well within the normal "sentry mode 24 / 7" usage. I would challenge that you only lost 30 miles for a week, not plugged in, with sentry mode actually enabled 24 /7. That is the only report of this I have ever seen.
Sentry Mode turns off when the battery drops to 20% SOC, so that might be why they only lost 30 miles. I agree that Sentry uses 1-2 miles per hour.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
How close to the car does the phone need to be to keep it awake?

My bedroom is directly over my garage. The garage has 12' ceilings, so at night my phone is 10-15' above the car. I only lose about 1 mile of range overnight.

Sentry mode absolutely can use 30+ per day. There's no way you can have Sentry mode on for a week and use 30(unless your state of charge got down to 20 percent).

Sentry mode absolutely can use 30+ per day. There's no way you can have Sentry mode on for a week and use 30(unless your state of charge got down to 20 percent).
My report is from my memory of the situation a few months ago. Memory can be faulty and I don’t have a record of the actual data. I do remember being pleasantly surprised at how little energy was consumed over 5 days.

I apologize if I am misleading anyone. That is not my intent.

My report is from my memory of the situation a few months ago. Memory can be faulty and I don’t have a record of the actual data. I do remember being pleasantly surprised at how little energy was consumed over 5 days.

I apologize if I am misleading anyone. That is not my intent.
To update your memory you should leave Sentry mode on at home overnight and report back! I know my memory needs jogging these days too......

I have the same problem on my MY, but only since the latest sw upgrade to 2022.44.25.1 The release notes states something about adjusting the sensitivity of the sentry mode by using only sensors. Since then, default setting seems to be always on which is annoying

you are very lucky if Tesla simply consuming only 30miles for 1 week. My Model y 2023 long range consumes nearly 15 miles per night with sentry mode on. is this normal for most of the people ?

Sentry mode should not burn down 30 miles per night. I lost about that much parked at the airport for nearly a week with sentry mode enabled. Something else is keeping your car awake. Do you have third party apps in your phone? Do you keep your phone in the house close enough to the car that it can stay connected and wake the car? Maybe you have heat protection enabled with the A/C on all n

There is a bug with
I have the same problem on my MY, but only since the latest sw upgrade to 2022.44.25.1 The release notes states something about adjusting the sensitivity of the sentry mode by using only sensors. Since then, default setting seems to be always on which is annoying
I noticed this bug too. While at HOME, if I change the sentry mode setting from OFF to ON with checkmark IGNORE HOME enabled, sentry mode is active and recording while at HOME. If I drive away from HOME and later return to HOME, sentry mode will properly IGNORE HOME and be disabled. So, apparently this is a workaround for this bug and saves main battery drain from overnight Sentry Mode being active at HOME.

This is a problem when you need to remove the storage device from the car's USB port. As there seems to be no way to Eject the flash drive or SSD without corrupting the drive format. Before the V10 update, there was a sentry mode Icon at the top of the center display screen for temporarily disabling Sentry Mode. Now, I need to disable Sentry Mode from the Controls-Security menu. At least I have never found a new shortcut for that.

I just installed update 44.25.2, but haven't tried disabling Sentry Mode yet. So maybe they fixed this bug already. Something weird about Superchargers Icons not showing up on the map when dismissing the available Superchargers List.

This is a problem when you need to remove the storage device from the car's USB port. As there seems to be no way to Eject the flash drive or SSD without corrupting the drive format.
Switch to playing stored videos. It is at least no longer writing to the flashdrive.
Besides that I find safer to format the drive with ext4 filesystem (Linux), it is journalling filesystem so any interruption is correctly recovered when plugging it back (to either Tesla or PC). I sure also always do filesystem check (e2fsck) when I plug it to PC but I do not remember I did ever see any filesystem corruption.

Maybe a bug? I would clear and remove your HOME address in the map settings. Disable sentry. Then set your home address one more time and enable sentry and make sure that the option to not enable sentry when home is selected.

Also, make sure you are on the right profile. I remember running into something similar when we first got the car and had to do this to do a soft reset to define what home was.

Sentry Mode popping back on is an issue for me too & started after an update.
I have not been able to fix until I tried Kokukenji's method. SM stayed on until I unclicked 1. Work 2. Favorites. I left SM off for home. If this works, it does not ultimately solve this issue which hopefully Tesla will address.