Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does TACC remain active after FSD steering wheel disengagement ?(which is not safe IMHO)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Often you disengage from FSD beta as it does crazy things with both steering and acceleration. But disengaging with steering wheel leaves TACC on, which I find very annoying and potentially dangerous. So I now have this automatism where every time I disengage with the steering wheel, I shift up the gear stalk up at the same time to disengage TACC. But this automatism put my in a very dangerous situation today: the car was waiting for an unprotected left turn, then it started a move while a car was coming in the opposite lane. So I took back control with both steering wheels and brakes to stop, and I mechanically shifted the gear stalk up… but doing so while stopped with my foot on the brake, it actually engaged the Reverse! I got then ready to accelerate hard to fit in a tight cap, but with the Reverse on and with one car just behind me!! Fortunately at the last second I wondered why the back camera was on, and I realised I was on Reverse, but this was a dangerous near miss.
So the other question is: is it safe to use the gearing stalk both for switching gears and also activating/disengaging TACC/FSD?

Does anyone has similar concerns?

You’ll find people with varying opinions on how this should be. I’m used to only disengaging FSD beta (or AP) using the stalk only, but that’s because I rarely ever use TACC (without autosteer). That’s my automatism, but I’ve also gotten used to not using the stalk to disengage if I hit the brake pedal, exactly because that also disengages both autosteer and TACC (both in production AP and FSD beta)

You might want to try disengaging with the brake and wheel. Brake aways disables everything. In most cases, I want TACC to stay on because If you're on the freeway and you have to turn the wheel, you don't also want it to brake without you intending it to, which is what would happen if TACC didn't stay engaged.

By the way, this is not a beta thing - it's how autopilot works and always has.

Often you disengage from FSD beta as it does crazy things with both steering and acceleration. But disengaging with steering wheel leaves TACC on, which I find very annoying and potentially dangerous. So I now have this automatism where every time I disengage with the steering wheel, I shift up the gear stalk up at the same time to disengage TACC. But this automatism put my in a very dangerous situation today: the car was waiting for an unprotected left turn, then it started a move while a car was coming in the opposite lane. So I took back control with both steering wheels and brakes to stop, and I mechanically shifted the gear stalk up… but doing so while stopped with my foot on the brake, it actually engaged the Reverse! I got then ready to accelerate hard to fit in a tight cap, but with the Reverse on and with one car just behind me!! Fortunately at the last second I wondered why the back camera was on, and I realised I was on Reverse, but this was a dangerous near miss.
So the other question is: is it safe to use the gearing stalk both for switching gears and also activating/disengaging TACC/FSD?

You are pushing the gear stalk up too far to disengage. Halfway up is all that is needed to disengage any ADAS function. A half push will put the car into Neutral if no ADAS functions are engaged, though it must be held there for a second if the car is already in drive.

If mistakenly put into Neutral, you only have to worry about rolling down a hill. Much better that unexpected reversing!

Regarding the issue of steering wheel input not disabling TACC, I have mixed feelings. Although it seems like any control input other than accelerator should disable all ADAS functions, If one is using basic autopilot, keeping TACC active when changing lanes is quite useful. But having different behavior at different times can be confusing to the driver.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Yes, it's annoying. Likely already reported to Tesla a lot, but so far, they haven't budged on this functionality. They did make a compromise change in an earlier version of FSDb. When you disengage with the wheel, instead of the two-tone disengaging chime, you only hear the first tone. Then if you disengage TACC, you hear the 2nd tone. I found this helped me a lot. But I would still prefer no TACC.

I don't agree with the suggestions to disengage with the brake or the stalk. Those might be appropriate in some situations, but if my car is making a steering error, like crossing a double-yellow or about to hit a curb, I'm going to use the wheel first.

I would encourage new testers to report the issue to Tesla if it bothers you. fsdbeta [at] tesla [dot] com.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I always found it a little dangerous too.

You either think it’s completely off and then suddenly realize oh *sugar* speed is still set.

Or you know speed is still set and think steering is still auto too and suddenly you realize oh *sugar* it’s not steering.

Maybe if they canceled together I’d find that even more uncomfortable. Don’t know. Like if I take over to avoid something I might not like that it slowed down on me. Especially with regen.

I agree--one my car (refresh S), I have the one-click option set up up enables/disables TACC and AutoSteer at one time, so there is no confusion--either the car is in control or I am.

Reactions: mtapes
Yes, it's annoying. Likely already reported to Tesla a lot, but so far, they haven't budged on this functionality. They did make a compromise change in an earlier version of FSDb. When you disengage with the wheel, instead of the two-tone disengaging chime, you only hear the first tone. Then if you disengage TACC, you hear the 2nd tone. I found this helped me a lot. But I would still prefer no TACC.

IIRC, that new single tone when disengaging autosteer only (and TACC is still active), is due to a NHTSA “recall” that was resolved with only a software update.

I don't agree with the suggestions to disengage with the brake or the stalk. Those might be appropriate in some situations, but if my car is making a steering error, like crossing a double-yellow or about to hit a curb, I'm going to use the wheel first.

Like I said, everyone has their own opinion/workflow/preferences when it comes to driving/disengaging AP/FSDb, etc.

Personally, I’m engaging FSDb/AP for most of my drives and I almost never disengage using the wheel. I always use the stalk, and some emergency situations I’m using the brake pedal. In the curb situation you mention, because my right hand is always resting just under the right stalk my muscle memory half taps up as I steer away. When using the stalk, I typically am compensating by starting to press the accelerator pedal so other drivers don’t perceive a change in my speed or see brake lights.

Reactions: BitJam and Big Earl
I agree--one my car (refresh S), I have the one-click option set up up enables/disables TACC and AutoSteer at one time, so there is no confusion--either the car is in control or I am.
Same car, seems that with the double click option set one click turns off fsd, leaves on TACC, so after reading your comment I went to change my setting to single click, but reading the instruction on the information part of setting the switch it states that with the double click setting activated , both will cancel with one click. “If the button is pressed once Auto steer or tacc is active both features will cancel”

Same car, seems that with the double click option set one click turns off fsd, leaves on TACC, so after reading your comment I went to change my setting to single click, but reading the instruction on the information part of setting the switch it states that with the double click setting activated , both will cancel with one click. “If the button is pressed once Auto steer or tacc is active both features will cancel”
Should have been more clear--when I intervene by grabbing the wheel, both AutoSteer and TACC disengage. I did not like have manual control of the wheel, but the car still controlling speed. When I first got the car, I had double-click set up, but encounter a couple of situations where that was less than great.

Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 10.21.24 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Not to point out the obvious here - but every single car I've ever driven that has cruise control will cancel cruise with either the brake pedal or whatever method it used to engage in the first place. Not one of those cars ever used a steering wheel to disengage.
Tesla made sure to add a different method to engage a different feature to avoid confusion with a standard method of disengaging cruise.

What consequences? You don't have to brake hard, a light tap will do it. The only consequence is that your brake light might come on for a fraction of second.
A brake check is an alert to the driver behind you to take caution and slow down. Most drivers will do so and carry on with their day. Other drivers… not so much. For some of those, being brake checked is a significant emotional event that demands response.

It is no joy to be on the wrong side of a retaliatory response.