Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does TACC remain active after FSD steering wheel disengagement ?(which is not safe IMHO)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should have been more clear--when I intervene by grabbing the wheel, both AutoSteer and TACC disengage. I did not like have manual control of the wheel, but the car still controlling speed. When I first got the car, I had double-click set up, but encounter a couple of situations where that was less than great.

View attachment 815841
ok, further, when on navigate on autopilot, when on the freeway of course, touching the blue icon, which turns grey, seems to me it switches to TACC, I use this to have it not continually try to change lanes, also I think it will not then follow the route, go to an exit, but not sure about that part.
I tried this when on FSDbeta, off the freeway, that is clicked on this same blue icon, which then turned grey, but it still wanted to follow the route, that is make the next turn etc. any idea about this, can't find any instruction relevant to either?

Last edited:
Should have been more clear--when I intervene by grabbing the wheel, both AutoSteer and TACC disengage. I did not like have manual control of the wheel, but the car still controlling speed. When I first got the car, I had double-click set up, but encounter a couple of situations where that was less than great.

View attachment 815841

wonder why this option doesn't exist for my car (Model 3)...

Reactions: mtapes
ok, further, when on navigate on autopilot, when on the freeway of course, touching the blue icon, which turns grey, seems to me it switches to TACC, I use this to have it not continually try to change lanes, also I think it will not then follow the route, go to an exit, but not sure about that part.
I tried this when on FSDbeta, off the freeway, that is clicked on this same blue icon, which then turned grey, but it still wanted to follow the route, that is make the next turn etc. any idea about this, can't find any instruction relevant to either?

The FSD Beta settings are completely separate from the navigate on autopilot settings. I presume this is because, for now, they are completely separate code bases (per Elon) and they haven't yet merged the two (or more precisely replaced NoA with FSD code).

So for now, the only settings you have in FSD Beta (aka "automatic driving on city streets"), is Chill/Average/Assertive in the beta settings. You can't disable/alter lane changes or set follow distance for FSD Beta. Hopefully this will be the case in the future, but for now, it's beta/incomplete/test code so we have to work within the limitations

Often you disengage from FSD beta as it does crazy things with both steering and acceleration. But disengaging with steering wheel leaves TACC on, which I find very annoying and potentially dangerous. So I now have this automatism where every time I disengage with the steering wheel, I shift up the gear stalk up at the same time to disengage TACC. But this automatism put my in a very dangerous situation today: the car was waiting for an unprotected left turn, then it started a move while a car was coming in the opposite lane. So I took back control with both steering wheels and brakes to stop, and I mechanically shifted the gear stalk up… but doing so while stopped with my foot on the brake, it actually engaged the Reverse! I got then ready to accelerate hard to fit in a tight cap, but with the Reverse on and with one car just behind me!! Fortunately at the last second I wondered why the back camera was on, and I realised I was on Reverse, but this was a dangerous near miss.
So the other question is: is it safe to use the gearing stalk both for switching gears and also activating/disengaging TACC/FSD?

Does anyone has similar concerns?
Yes, and I've posted about this poor behavior here (and sent an email to the FSD beta team, which I encourage others to do).

I think the rationale is that this is the same as the EAP/NoA behavior on roads, and it certainly could be somewhat dangerous for the car to suddenly slow down on a freeway just because you tugged the steering wheel. However, the opposite is true of FSD, and this is a huge mistake by Tesla imho.

Often you disengage from FSD beta as it does crazy things with both steering and acceleration. But disengaging with steering wheel leaves TACC on, which I find very annoying and potentially dangerous. So I now have this automatism where every time I disengage with the steering wheel, I shift up the gear stalk up at the same time to disengage TACC. But this automatism put my in a very dangerous situation today: the car was waiting for an unprotected left turn, then it started a move while a car was coming in the opposite lane. So I took back control with both steering wheels and brakes to stop, and I mechanically shifted the gear stalk up… but doing so while stopped with my foot on the brake, it actually engaged the Reverse! I got then ready to accelerate hard to fit in a tight cap, but with the Reverse on and with one car just behind me!! Fortunately at the last second I wondered why the back camera was on, and I realised I was on Reverse, but this was a dangerous near miss.
So the other question is: is it safe to use the gearing stalk both for switching gears and also activating/disengaging TACC/FSD?

Does anyone has similar concerns?
I know this is semantics but I didn't read anyone else giving you this advice...

To disengage FSD Beta you press up "one notch" on the stalk, not fully. It takes some finesse and a new behavior but it's no different than using the blinkers in a Model 3 or Y :).

Reactions: Big Earl and BitJam
I know this is semantics but I didn't read anyone else giving you this advice...

To disengage FSD Beta you press up "one notch" on the stalk, not fully. It takes some finesse and a new behavior but it's no different than using the blinkers in a Model 3 or Y :).
I tested this again today and it still is the expected behavior... However, I don't see any documentation or other people mentioning to only press up slightly and not all the way 🤷‍♂️

Brilliant! Thank you!
This can have a downside. For instance if you quickly or accidentally use the brake and steering wheel (not thinking or remembering which was first because of traffic or conditions), to disengage then you may THINK you are still in TACC and at a stop or near stop you can switch into Reverse.

Last edited:
This can have a downside. For instance if you quickly or accidentally use the brake and steering wheel (not thinking or remembering which was first because of traffic or conditions), to disengage then you may THINK you are still in TACC and at a stop or near stop you can switch into Reverse.
He was replying to the literal way NOT to switch into reverse. That's the point I was making. You can have your foot on the brake and at a complete stop and it won't go into reverse if you only press up slightly (one notch?) on the right stalk - not all the way up.

Does that help?

Reactions: BitJam
Then you will switch into Neutral if TACC is disengaged.
Accidentally switching into neutral is vastly superior to accidentally switching into reverse. The OP showed the danger of an unintentional reverse. I've also seen a YouTube video by someone who did it in a drive-thru saying it was a dangerously bad design.

Even gas cars make it much easier to accidentally go from drive to neutral than from drive to reverse.

You might want to try disengaging with the brake and wheel. Brake aways disables everything. In most cases, I want TACC to stay on because If you're on the freeway and you have to turn the wheel, you don't also want it to brake without you intending it to, which is what would happen if TACC didn't stay engaged.

By the way, this is not a beta thing - it's how autopilot works and always has.
If you want to turn the wheel to change lanes all you have to do is signal, and it turns for you. Then you don't lose TACC.

All these posts reinforce my opinion that there is still much confusion about capabilities of AP, TACC and FSD Among Tesla owners old and new. Ive had my MY LR for year and a half and still get confused sometimes. Tesla needs to simplify and redefine the terms used, improve the user manual, and improve tutorials in this area. Also why is an AP, EAP, FSD, FSD Beta “genius bar” staffed by experts for training and answering questions not available in showrooms?

Reactions: mtapes