Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does TACC remain active after FSD steering wheel disengagement ?(which is not safe IMHO)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with OP - disengaging Autopilot mode whether with brake, stalk, or steering wheel should disengage ALL Autopilot control consistently. It's the most consistent behavior and easiest to understand, and I see no downsides.
If you want to pass someone on the highway then disengaging with the steering wheel allows you to maintain a constant speed without having to use the pedal. I find this very convenient and made use of it several times on my drive home about an hour ago. IMO forcing me to take over control of the accelerator for no good reason when I'm passing on the highway is less safe which is a significant downside. My attention is on making sure no one is coming up fast behind me and making sure the car in front of me does not veer into the passing lane, in addition to steering the car.

I use the steering wheel if I only want to take control of steering. I use the stalk if I want to take control of steering and speed. I use the brake for unexpected situations. I would complain if Tesla removed some of this functionality for the sake of simplicity.

This can have a downside. For instance if you quickly or accidentally use the brake and steering wheel (not thinking or remembering which was first because of traffic or conditions), to disengage then you may THINK you are still in TACC and at a stop or near stop you can switch into Reverse.
You have to be at less than 5 MPH to switch to reverse. You allude as such but it ain't happening at 55....

I have absolutely accidently shifted into neutral at 70+ in my car before and posted as such so not defending the imperfection.

Switching directions requires a bit of effort.

I use the steering wheel if I only want to take control of steering. I use the stalk if I want to take control of steering and speed. I use the brake for unexpected situations. I would complain if Tesla removed some of this functionality for the sake of simplicity.
It's not for the sake of simplicity - it is for the sake of safety. If I jerk the steering wheel to take control of the car, it is 100% of the time because it is about to do something dangerous while on NoA or FSD Beta. This means it is often a high stress situation where my foot also goes to the brake OR accelerator depending on what the situation calls for. If it does in fact go to the accelerator, then forgetting that TACC is still engaged when navigating through the dangerous situation just creates additional danger, and having to additionally click the stalk when I am trying to steer and accelerate to mitigate the situation simply shouldn't be required.

If I'm driving down the highway and want to maintain a consistent speed, I just let the car do the passing.

Just learned another reason/answer to the thread’s original question:

I’ve been answering based on driving Teslas all with FSD Capability package (and in our case FSD beta as well).

I just drove a Tesla with only basic AP and without FSD Capability package, which means it doesn’t have NoAP. When AP is engaged, it’s just the two blue lane lines (vs NoAP single center blue line). When I turned on the turn signal to change lanes, I noticed the steering wheel disengages autosteer a lot easier (less force required) than before the turn signal was turned on. I’m realizing this is probably on purpose since non-auto lane change cars will often want to change lanes without disabling TACC, then reengage autosteer after the lane change. Otherwise, just for a lane change you’d have to use the accelerator to match/keep speed during every lane change. So yeah, the programmed/intended behavior makes even more sense now.

So after using FSDb since last October, I have adapted to this annoyance. If I disengage via steering wheel only, which are the vast majority of my disengagements, I now automatically remember the car is still in TACC. I then either use the stalk up to cancel it, or I'll just re-engage FSDb, depending on the situation.

I only brake-disengage for critical safety issues because I hate having my tail lights signaling that I'm braking when the car behind me doesn't expect me to brake.

Also, I hate people who are brake-happy on the highway. They are usually tailgaters too. These are the people responsible for phantom traffic jams.... the ones with no accident causing a slowdown.

So after using FSDb since last October, I have adapted to this annoyance. If I disengage via steering wheel only, which are the vast majority of my disengagements, I now automatically remember the car is still in TACC.
Yes, can get used to it.

I believe Tesla left it this way because the car will brake when in TACC mode. It may well be the safest design choice, even though it doesn't seem like it to us (because if you forget about it you get acceleration at inappropriate times, which seems dangerous...but only if it is surging into an obstacle).

Also, since a year ago, I've also noticed (I could be imagining it, but I'm just commenting...) improvements in the behavior of TACC immediately after a steering disengagement. It used to surge after a steering disengagement, but I don't really see that anymore and a few times I've left it on for a bit with no real ill effects.

Still, usually I just get in the habit of tapping that stalk up, and I am remembering most of the time now. Sometimes it's a bit hard to remember during a steering disengagement since there is so much going on. But muscle memory is getting better.

Reactions: nvx1977
Often you disengage from FSD beta as it does crazy things with both steering and acceleration. But disengaging with steering wheel leaves TACC on, which I find very annoying and potentially dangerous. So I now have this automatism where every time I disengage with the steering wheel, I shift up the gear stalk up at the same time to disengage TACC. But this automatism put my in a very dangerous situation today: the car was waiting for an unprotected left turn, then it started a move while a car was coming in the opposite lane. So I took back control with both steering wheels and brakes to stop, and I mechanically shifted the gear stalk up… but doing so while stopped with my foot on the brake, it actually engaged the Reverse! I got then ready to accelerate hard to fit in a tight cap, but with the Reverse on and with one car just behind me!! Fortunately at the last second I wondered why the back camera was on, and I realised I was on Reverse, but this was a dangerous near miss.
So the other question is: is it safe to use the gearing stalk both for switching gears and also activating/disengaging TACC/FSD?

Does anyone has similar concerns?
I'm 100% with you on this, and in fact I reported this to Tesla via the beta email (and I encourage others to do so). I see two basic safety issues here:

-- Tesla have overloaded the shifter stalk so that the same action does different things based on state. This isnt good for fundamental things like forward/reverse vs FSD/AP on/off. It's bad UI design in general, and potentially dangerous for basic car functions.

-- When FSD is driving and makes a bad steering input, as you note your instinct is to correct the mistake by grabbing the wheel. But since TACC is left engaged, you end up in a mode when the car can suddenly speed up, which is hardly a safe action when you are already trying to correct for mistakes that the car has made a split-second ago. I've actually had this on roundabouts, when the car went way wrong and I corrected steering to have the car suddenly plow ahead faster as dumb TACC just accelerated to the set speed. Not good at all.

The motivation for the second behavior, I think, is consistency between existing NoA and FSD. On the freeway, suddenly slowing down as a result of steering input could indeed be dangerous, but when on city streets plowing forward is NOT a good idea. Tesla need to be much smarter about how they disengage these systems.

-- When FSD is driving and makes a bad steering input, as you note your instinct is to correct the mistake by grabbing the wheel. But since TACC is left engaged, you end up in a mode when the car can suddenly speed up, which is hardly a safe action when you are already trying to correct for mistakes that the car has made a split-second ago. I've actually had this on roundabouts, when the car went way wrong and I corrected steering to have the car suddenly plow ahead faster as dumb TACC just accelerated to the set speed. Not good at all.
Cuts both ways though. The car may also brake sometimes if appropriate, if it manages to detect an obstacle, and the human may not be "ready" for that. This is actually a good thing during a machine-human control transition, since the driver might be unclear on whether the car has control of braking. Of course, it's also entirely possible the car will not detect an obstacle and plow into it, but perhaps in these cases it's more likely for the driver to hit the brake. Who knows!

Anyway, I didn't like it either (and still kind of don't), but I think it may be for a good reason.

Similar (not the same) as the reason the regen bar doesn't show human input braking.

Have to be very careful with the braking function. Elon was noncommittal on changing it when someone asked about it.

I'm 100% with you on this, and in fact I reported this to Tesla via the beta email (and I encourage others to do so). I see two basic safety issues here:

-- Tesla have overloaded the shifter stalk so that the same action does different things based on state. This isnt good for fundamental things like forward/reverse vs FSD/AP on/off. It's bad UI design in general, and potentially dangerous for basic car functions.

The motivation for the second behavior, I think, is consistency between existing NoA and FSD. On the freeway, suddenly slowing down as a result of steering input could indeed be dangerous, but when on city streets plowing forward is NOT a good idea. Tesla need to be much smarter about how they disengage these systems.
Be careful what you wish for. If you take over steering, I would not want the car to suddenly slow. If you kick it out of autosteer, TACC is still engaged, and will not run in to anything in front of you. If you change lanes by hand, the car will speed up if there is nothing ahead. But that beats the heck out of moving over and slowing down, IMO.

Be careful what you wish for. If you take over steering, I would not want the car to suddenly slow. If you kick it out of autosteer, TACC is still engaged, and will not run in to anything in front of you. If you change lanes by hand, the car will speed up if there is nothing ahead. But that beats the heck out of moving over and slowing down, IMO.
I agree, but it also should not speed up either (it's done that to me). But things are quite different between doing 65mph on a freeway and doing 25mph around curly city streets.