TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why does Tesla not provide Dash Cams?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Minime, May 8, 2017.

1. Minime

Minime Member

I apologize if this question seem ignorant. I am new to the Tesla family and to this forum. I'd always wondered why a company as technical as Tesla don't simply provide front and rear dash cams as factory standard or options? Thanks for the education.

• Like x 4
  2. ggielen

ggielen Member

Or maybe just allow to record the vehicle cameras' imagery? There's already 8 cameras on the car, might as well just tap into those instead of adding two more..

• Like x 4
  3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

could it be because they add more cost to the car and most people really don't want one?

4. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

There's also jurisdiction-to-jurisdiction legal concerns about dashcams, particularly if the recording happens on private property, or there are children being recorded. Plus, some drivers do not want dashcam footage because it could potentially be self-incriminating and not everyone desires full honesty in such situations.

• Disagree x 1
  5. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Tesla has limited bandwidth and that's not one of the priorities. It wouldn't even make the top 100.

• Like x 1
  6. Minime

Minime Member

Definitely can't be cost issues. And anyone not wishing to record can simply turn off the feature, like bluetooth or wifi on a phone.

I agree with the legal concerns. That seems most plausible. No car makers seem to provide this relatively simple technology. Then why are aftermarket cams exempt?

7. BrettS

BrettS Member

Aftermarket cameras aren't exempt, but it's up to the person who buys and installs the after market camera to ensure that they comply with all the legal requirements that apply to them. Just because a dashcam is not legal in one location doesn't meant that it can't be sold anywhere.

8. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

the Corvette has a factory dash cam.

All the Tesla would need is a SD slot, and leverage the existing dozen cameras...

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. fbitz777

fbitz777 Member

I thought Tesla does record video data that can be used in car accidents to determine what happened.. I recall a thread where someone was able to download the video from a salvage car.

10. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

Existing cameras are kind of low-res and also Black and White (except the backup camera which IS color, but the use is kind of limited due to the angle).
    On a tesla dashcam I would not settle for anything less than 4K ;)

11. kort677

kort677 Active Member

really? that is something that I've never encountered or heard of, could you provide details as to where these places are?

12. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I don't believe that video data is recorded.

• Disagree x 2
  13. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I'll ask the same question, where is it that a video camera installed on a car illegal?

• Like x 1
  14. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

15. BrettS

BrettS Member

I did a quick search before I installed my dashcam and from what I could see, in the US at least, it's legal to record video anywhere... there is no expectation of privacy on public roads in the US. However, recording audio was a bit more complicated and there are some states (including florida, where I am) where they recommend that you do not enable the mic and record audio audio as it could be illegal. I don't know about other countries.

• Informative x 1
  16. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Much of Europe, I believe. Some private installations, some government installations.

17. kort677

kort677 Active Member

so your initial comment was incorrect, video cameras are not illegal but the voice recording the camera makes could be illegal.

Ok, the only time that would come into play is if you are having a conversation with someone outside of the vehicle. and in some places that could be illegal but AFAIK there aren't penalties unless you try to use the recordings for nefarious purposed or if you tried to use the recording in a legal matter it could be ruled inadmissible as evidence.

18. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

wk057 found several seconds of "video" crash reports on AP1 cars he salvaged. I put that in quotes because its low resolution, low frame rate - likely because of the limited bandwidth from the Mobileye chip to the main computers. It's not obvious where the buffer it lives in is located pre-crash.

Jason Hughes on Twitter

19. kort677

kort677 Active Member

what the law is in europe is mostly irrelevant. this isn't posted in a euro centric forum
    as for wk findings, interesting I wonder if that data makes it to the mothership

• Disagree x 2
  20. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

Yes it might (not sure if automatically, but they can certainly fetch it manually at will and store basically forever).