Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla not provide Dash Cams?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
could it be because they add more cost to the car and most people really don't want one?
if people don't want a dash cam - it's because they're totally clueless as to how many unscrupulous / fraudsters there are. A co-worker's insurance company just rolled over & paid off a phony / staged accident /2 plaintiff's injuries because it's often cheaper than going to court. The criminal driver even claimed there was a passenger when there was none. 2 against 1, for believability / veracity. It's a huge industry. And they watch for expensive cars to hit .... they don't crash into your typical piece of crap. They go for deep pockets. Couple that with road rage as well as parking lot 'smash-&-grab' artists? Why do people have medical insurance? Why do people have auto & /or homeowners' insurance. Why do people purchase huge umbrella policies when they may never benefit from it. same with a dash cam. You don't need it until you really need it.

Reactions: Blastphemy
if people don't want a dash cam - it's because they're totally clueless as to how many unscrupulous / fraudsters there are.
I've been affected by a stunt like this with a car that deliberately "swooped and squatted". The legal process actually went on for two years with the "victims" continuing to generate new and exotic new health issues as they were represented by one of the worst ambulance chasing firms in Central FL. Eventually, after multiple settlements, it all finally went away.

While I think a dashcam could have had a very important impact on this case, I don't think I'll ever have one that doesn't have encryption. I want to have sole control over who is able to access that footage. A warrant can get the SD card, but you cannot be compelled to provide the password. If the dash cam is controlled by a third party, Tesla in this example, they could possibly be compelled to provide the information. Not ideal.

Not interested in hearing any, "you shouldn't have anything to hide" responses. Things happen, other people hire unscrupulous lawyers, missing context is often very important, etc, etc, etc. Bottom line, I want to control that video. If the other parties want video, let them install their own cameras.

the Corvette has a factory dash cam.

All the Tesla would need is a SD slot, and leverage the existing dozen cameras...

You mean the one that Chevy had to send a letter to owners about possibly being illegal?

And why does Tesla need an SD slot? It has two USB ports....

It really matters if you want it for when you are driving, or also when you're parked.

if people don't want a dash cam - it's because they're totally clueless as to how many unscrupulous / fraudsters there are. A co-worker's insurance company just rolled over & paid off a phony / staged accident /2 plaintiff's injuries because it's often cheaper than going to court. The criminal driver even claimed there was a passenger when there was none. 2 against 1, for believability / veracity. It's a huge industry. And they watch for expensive cars to hit .... they don't crash into your typical piece of crap. They go for deep pockets. Couple that with road rage as well as parking lot 'smash-&-grab' artists? Why do people have medical insurance? Why do people have auto & /or homeowners' insurance. Why do people purchase huge umbrella policies when they may never benefit from it. same with a dash cam. You don't need it until you really need it.
and you're going to force your views onto to those who don't share them.
where have I heard something like this before?

• Disagree
Reactions: Blastphemy
and you're going to force your views onto to those who don't share them........ snip.......
very sorry, but that's incomprehendable - please help me here ... how is my 'viewpoint' (that a dash cam is like any other type of assurance methodology) anymore 'forced' than your prior viewpoint that,
"... most people really don't want one ... '
no one's forcing anyone to read anything if I understand our forum rules. moreover if someone makes a blanket statement such as, "most people really don't want one"... it's is no more real or true then someone simply claiming no one wants medical insurance or homeowners insurance. You really need to back up with some offering of proof of what you believe to be true ... you are damning someone for doing same thing that you are doing. . . . .
not that I'm forcing that view anyone
:)

Reactions: Blastphemy and vdiv
You mean the one that Chevy had to send a letter to owners about possibly being illegal?

And why does Tesla need an SD slot? It has two USB ports....

It really matters if you want it for when you are driving, or also when you're parked.

It could use the USB ports - that's fine. There are large USB memory sticks now.
Chevy (from what I've read) was in a legal grey area as the system recorded AUDIO. In the US, it's 100% legal to record VIDEO. (public places, no consent needed).
AFAIK, AP doesn't use audio. Although, it may be useful for a self driving car to know when it's being honked at ;)

Reactions: vdiv
I've recently begun using an iPod to make dash recordings of every trip and now view this as indispensable. With 6 vehicles being used it required a simple dash mount, a food container lid, to be mounted on each dash. Then the camera (iPod Touch 5) can be quickly and easily set up on whatever vehicle I choose to drive that day. In my opinion the resulting audio & video from inside the car 'belong to me' as I do not fear my own shadow nor do I waste time keeping lists of reasons why I should fear my shadow.

Bottom line: recording one's activities is so easy to do with today's equipment that there is no reason not to do so. The results can be rewarding. This device offers an amazing built-in stabilization that rivals Hollywood Steady-Cams so the videos are easy to watch (the car body jumps up and down yet the view to the horizon is usually stable).
--

Last edited:
I too have endlessly wondered about the lack of fulfilled opportunities of the systems available on the car. I've reached the conclusion that it's pointless if not harmful to my happiness. Stop wondering! ;)

As for recording in a public space:

United Apologizes After Agent Cancels Passenger’s Ticket For Recording Her

My favorite part:

"Eventually, the agent called airport police. When asked if he had to delete the video, the officer told the man he could do whatever the wanted, as it was a public space."

"No expectation of privacy" I believe is the phrase. But I'm not a lawyer. I only play one on TV.

so your initial comment was incorrect, video cameras are not illegal but the voice recording the camera makes could be illegal.
There's nothing illegal about recording video and/or audio. What's illegal is to use it in a way that violates the law. For example, using an audio recording for blackmail. Also, audio recordings made without the consent of both parties (and without a warrant) are not admissible as evidence in court. But you can still make the recording, especially if you're in a public space where there's no expectation of privacy.

In addition to the front and rear dash cams, let's add on clear coat bra like Xpel Ultimate or lifetime free car wash at my local car wash.

I apologize if this question seem ignorant. I am new to the Tesla family and to this forum. I'd always wondered why a company as technical as Tesla don't simply provide front and rear dash cams as factory standard or options? Thanks for the education.

There's also jurisdiction-to-jurisdiction legal concerns about dashcams, particularly if the recording happens on private property, or there are children being recorded. Plus, some drivers do not want dashcam footage because it could potentially be self-incriminating and not everyone desires full honesty in such situations.

No. Video can be recorded anywhere in public, even from a drone above your backyard. Private property I can't comment on, they can take you to civil court but it's not illegal unless you are trespassing.

If you remember a product called Google Glass, you will note that it was not deemed illegal.