TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why does Tesla punish buyers of RWD 70 with longer delivery times?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by brucet999, Sep 20, 2015.

1. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

On the design Studio any car you order today shows "November Delivery" except RWD 70, which is "Late November Delivery"

It can't be the 70kWh battery pack, because 70D is "November Delivery"
    It can't be RWD, because RWD 85 is "November Delivery"
    Even P90D with Ludicrous Mode is "November Delivery"
    It can't be necessity to batch certain configurations because they proudly say in plant tours that robots allow any mix of features, even right and left wheel drive, to be built on the same line at the same time.

It was the same last month as well when the delivery times were "October" and "Late October"

Does anyone know why?

2. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

The 70kWh RWD version is Tesla's lowest gross margin model. In other words, Tesla makes the least amount of money on the 70 RWD. So, for Tesla they typically want to give some kind of incentive for people to buy the other models... thus the slightly longer wait for the 70kWh RWD version.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I'm sure DaveT is correct. Businesses often provide incentives to purchase their higher margin products. That's just good business. Tesla isn't tell g people they can't buy the base model, they are simply saying, in effect, that they are favoring their more profitable customers in that minor way.

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

In addition to what DaveT said, I think it may be due to demand. Everybody wants the fastest, coolest thing and Tesla is reacting to it. I can't blame either, actually.

5. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Just a FYI, Single Motor and Dual Motor Cars do not have the same battery casing. The "D" Version'd battery packs have a additional connector to route the power closer to the second motor to reduce wiring, and in wiring resistance/heat loss.

6. Dennis87

Dennis87 Member

For the earlier E pack that was true. But for the new 2.0 enclosures batteries both rwd and dual models use the same battery. Same for 85 and 90 versions to.
    This is info from the Tesla part catalog.

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

1. Teslas have always been made in batches, likely due to parts availability or how they are brought into the assembly line. Just because they use a lot of robots doesn't mean they aren't more efficient if they are building the same type. So sometimes you get lucky and sometimes not.

2. The higher priced Teslas have always been given priority. This is nothing new.

8. Out4aDuck

Out4aDuck Member

When I look at actual deliveries, I see absolutely no priority difference between models. The lead times on the Design Studio are conservative.

9. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

Profit per car ratio. Simple business decision.

10. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

Same reason First Class and Business Class passengers board first :)

Tesla has always prioritized the delivery of higher trim level vehicles and I think that is an absolutely reasonable business decision. I am sure they'll stick very close to the delivery timeline they gave you though so you know what to expect...

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

When I ordered my P85+ in June 14, it was the top car. Delivery was stated to be one month due to being a priority delivery. It took three months. I just let it go, though it was really hard to do so. I think that the simple fact is that they cannot deliver them fast enough. A great problem for any manufacturer. As a stockholder, I am happy with that. 1100% gain for me.

12. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Exactly.
    I was making the same assumptions as everyone else in this thread before ordering. Once I put my deposit down, AND I had gone ahead and switched my delivery preference to "Earliest Available" in MyTesla dashboard, a full month was knocked-off.
    Of course, it could be pure luck, or the fact I am local and picking up in Fremont.
    YMMV

13. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

You may want to take delivery in The City. Sales tax in Fremont is 0.75% higher than in San Francisco; probably save you about $700.

14. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Wish I had known that before. But hey, I am doing the tour with my wife and a friend, it will be a blast to grab the car right there!

15. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Believe that sales tax collected in California will be determined by the residence Zip Code of the buyer]

16. kf93

kf93 Member

That is correct. I recently purchased from a dealership in San Fran and was charged my higher local sales tax.