Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla suspension suck so bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Genuine question: if I wanted to upgrade the suspension of my MY, how should I start to go about that? Is there a type of shop that specializes in that? Any idea of what the options are or cost? I realize these questions are kind of vague, but I have no experience with this, recently got a MY, really love it, but do agree with the OP. If the ride was a bit more smooth, it'd be near perfect.
MPP Comfort Coilovers (with separately adjustable compression and rebound) to be installed tomorrow. In Fort Worth, install, including alignment, is around $900, coilovers are $2700, so $3600 here, NOT $5200. Hourly labor cost is different from region to region.

I strongly considered only springs, but was convinced that it's the dampers that are too stiff at initial compression (first 1/2-1inch of travel), and the damper rebound is off, as well. The install shop is 3 miles from me, so I'll be able to road test on road surfaces I know well to dial it in.

Reactions: wolfgang007
MPP Comfort Coilovers (with separately adjustable compression and rebound) to be installed tomorrow. In Fort Worth, install, including alignment, is around $900, coilovers are $2700, so $3600 here, NOT $5200. Hourly labor cost is different from region to region.

I strongly considered only springs, but was convinced that it's the dampers that are too stiff at initial compression (first 1/2-1inch of travel), and the damper rebound is off, as well. The install shop is 3 miles from me, so I'll be able to road test on road surfaces I know well to dial it in.
My $5200 included MPP Arastadero adjustable rear camber/toe arms and install as well ($1100). There is no adjustment for camber and toe on the stock rear setup...I am planning on lowering. The front end will likely require adjustable upper A arms as well....

If they made the suspension to your liking, I would be in here complaining about how it is too mushy, has too much body roll, and is no fun to drive.
Would be nice if we can NOT get adaptive suspension, then let us order our preference. I would much rather have mushy and body roll over "fun to drive". I don't like how my internal organs are being tossed around.

Last edited:
RedwoodMotors: Please clarify: if OEM ride height is maintained, does camber, front or rear, need to be adjustable?

Forum members: Please note that RedwoodMotors is a vendor, so the statement that the GT suspension system "fixes everything" needs to be considered as marketing. YMMV.

Anytime you replace the suspension parts in a way that could affect ride quality/height, we recommend you get the car aligned. If you drop the car below 1", we recommend adjustable arms, etc.

When we say "fixes everything" we are referring to the OEM "jarring" ride over small bumps and the lack of body control over big undulations/cornering speeds.

The model Y is a crossover, you would think they would put in a softer suspension for ride comfort. instead it's very hard and shallow. every road imperfection is felt through out the cabin. why doesn't tesla improve or use different suspensions supplier? i guess i'll just have to go after market *sigh*

i am on the gemini and it still sucks. i can't imagine daily driving with the performance 21" wheels
Thanks for your opinion. Mine is, I like it just fine and I drove an Audi for 15 years.

Last edited: