Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla suspension suck so bad?

tangible1

Jul 8, 2021
SoCAL
It's basically that the feedback loop (IMHO) is broken. As long as Tesla keeps getting sales and sales growth (or there isn't sustained massive bad PR or is depressing their stock price), they have seem to have little incentive/motivation to address some of the very basic things Fourdoor brought up that MANY other lower end/cheaper vehicles have and have had for ages.

If enough people vote w/their wallet and feet and Tesla figures out that those missing things will reverse the slide/fix problems with PR or stock price, things might change.

And, Tesla/Elon are all about hype. Those things aren't really hype-worthy or sexy. So, instead, they will come out w/something else shiny then hype it, get fanboys, the public, Wall Street, etc. all spun up about it instead.
suspension is as much art as science, and drivers have never been educated how it works.
your comments are spot on. but don't expect the fanboys and subjective opinions to meet yours even half way. welcome to the internet.
personally I find the MY suspension mediocre... but I know how to fix it, without breaking the bank. I raced cars and educated my assometer over 10 years.

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
The aftermarket exists and people have always tinkered extensively with anything that has wheels.

Usually it's the driver and not the car, however, I have to admit that MY LR+Boost is giving me a huge advantage. This Z4 and some Merc got dropped badly when traffic cleared on twisty mountain roads. It's M / AMG or it's going to get dusted. ;)

MY_vs_BMW_Z4_and_Merc.jpg

suspension is as much art as science, and drivers have never been educated how it works.
your comments are spot on. but don't expect the fanboys and subjective opinions to meet yours even half way. welcome to the internet.
personally I find the MY suspension mediocre... but I know how to fix it, without breaking the bank. I raced cars and educated my assometer over 10 years.

Reactions: WhiteWi

Noflash

Aug 11, 2020
Denver
How?

tangible1

Jul 8, 2021
SoCAL
Tires/wheels (more sidewall = more spring, ie potentially go to 18" wheels). There are more tire options with 18" wheels than 19, 20, or 21, and they'll ride smoother.
Aftermarket suspension, choose your poison - UPP, MPP, Redwood Motorsport, so long as you understand what compression / rebound can do or not do for you and your wants.
I don't believe just springs alone will solve the stock damper limitations.
It's actually not difficult to remove/install new coilovers but final ride height setup, corner balance and alignment is best done with a qualified shop.
As said, it's as much art as science and user knowledge is necessary. There are no standard drivers and so there are no standard solutions.

Catbiscuits

Jan 22, 2020
Montclair NJ
The model Y is a crossover, you would think they would put in a softer suspension for ride comfort. instead it's very hard and shallow. every road imperfection is felt through out the cabin. why doesn't tesla improve or use different suspensions supplier? i guess i'll just have to go after market *sigh*

i am on the gemini and it still sucks. i can't imagine daily driving with the performance 21" wheels
Jeez, you’d hate a BMW if you ever owned one.

L_Mont

Jun 18, 2020
Atlanta, GA
I currently own two BMW. The harsh ride in BMW is from the run-flat tires. After replacing the run-flat to regular tires on the BMWs, ride is good, and better than the Y with 19" tires.
Note: my BMW have the regular suspension, not the performance suspension.

• Disagree
Reactions: frankvb and WhiteWi

TomServo

Apr 10, 2014
Belleville IL
In town (the vast majority of my driving) I used to lower my tire pressure to 38 psi COLD thinking it softened the ride. Maybe it did.

But when we took our first long road trip I pump them UP to 43 psi COLD, which meant my tire pressures crept up to 46 psi. I was surprised how well the car behaved with that psi, when we got home I just left them alone. Just the opinion of someone 68 years old.

tangible1

Jul 8, 2021
SoCAL
In town (the vast majority of my driving) I used to lower my tire pressure to 38 psi COLD thinking it softened the ride. Maybe it did.

But when we took our first long road trip I pump them UP to 43 psi COLD, which meant my tire pressures crept up to 46 psi. I was surprised how well the car behaved with that psi, when we got home I just left them alone. Just the opinion of someone 68 years old.
I'm guessing your increased pressure gets the foam liners of the stock Continental off the wheels more consistently.
That would perhaps lessen the transmission of road noise from the tires/wheels into the frame.
Again, guessing.

Jacko

Sep 17, 2020
portland, or

I had a similar experience. I dropped the tire pressure in my stock MYP PZeros/Uberturbine 21s down to 37-38 looking for a softer ride last summer and I thought it felt fine. I spent the winter/spring on Vredesteins/Martian 20s at 42 and loved them. When I switched back to the summer tires/wheels, the shop set them at 45 and I immediately thought I should lower the pressure. But after driving for a few hundred miles they feel fine. I think alot of this discussion depends on:
1. Where you live and your typical road conditions - I'm in a semi-rural area with generally good pavement.
2. What you are "used to" driving - I come from various sports cars, most recently a BMW M3.
3. How you like to drive - I view this as a sports car and drive it as such. And in my experience, I can drive the MYP faster in most situations than my previous sports cars due in no small part to the height - the ability to see over and around traffic to find those slots you didn't know existed. (The ridiculous acceleration and big brakes dont hurt either!)
Of course, we cant always drive fast and another nice thing about the MY is that it's also super comfortable doodling along in traffic.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC