Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla suspension suck so bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The model Y is a crossover, you would think they would put in a softer suspension for ride comfort. instead it's very hard and shallow. every road imperfection is felt through out the cabin. why doesn't tesla improve or use different suspensions supplier? i guess i'll just have to go after market *sigh*

i am on the gemini and it still sucks. i can't imagine daily driving with the performance 21" wheels

The model Y is a crossover, you would think they would put in a softer suspension for ride comfort. instead it's very hard and shallow. every road imperfection is felt through out the cabin. why doesn't tesla improve or use different suspensions supplier? i guess i'll just have to go after market *sigh*

i am on the gemini and it still sucks. i can't imagine daily driving with the performance 21" wheels

Why doesn't Tesla have rear cross traffic alert? Why doesn't Tesla have blind spot warning lights in the mirrors? Why doesn't Tesla have birds eye view when parking? Why doesn't Tesla have an instrument cluster in the 3 and Y? Why doesn't Tesla have x y or z?

Because they don't have too and they sell every car they produce on a waiting list.

Keith

I don't feel that the ride is that harsh, and the roads suck here in OK. But of course everyone will feel differently as ride comfort is subjective.

If they made the suspension to your liking, I would be in here complaining about how it is too mushy, has too much body roll, and is no fun to drive.
No, you can have good ride and handling but it costs more money than they/you are willing to spend for a mass market production vehicle. Same as a lot of other car manufacturers. Spend a few $k on better suspension and you'll have the car you want. Same as a lot of other car makes.

The Model 3 and Model Y are currently Tesla's reduced price (and reduced feature) offerings. If you want a better stock suspension from Tesla, you need to go with the S or X.
This. When I drive my wife's Model S I feel like I'm in a luxury sedan that accelerates very fast. Driving my MYP feels like I'm in a very fast sports car that's a bit high and a bit heavy and alot of fun.

The Model 3 and Model Y are currently Tesla's reduced price (and reduced feature) offerings. If you want a better stock suspension from Tesla, you need to go with the S or X.
That's stupid, I don't need fancy air suspension. I have driven bmw and they're firm but still smooth. Tesla suspension are like cheap rough one that people put in their old Honda civic. My vw golf has better suspension. I am not asking for much. Just wondering why their engineer think this is a good set up. The car is of glass and the rough suspension causes to vibrate a lot. I would think they would tune it better.

Why doesn't Tesla have rear cross traffic alert? Why doesn't Tesla have blind spot warning lights in the mirrors? Why doesn't Tesla have birds eye view when parking? Why doesn't Tesla have an instrument cluster in the 3 and Y? Why doesn't Tesla have x y or z?

Because they don't have too and they sell every car they produce on a waiting list.

Keith
…for now. With competition coming they cannot afford to be leaving out basic safety features, decent suspension components, and, oh yeah…lumbar support for passengers.

So the short answer is they are doing it because it’s cheaper and they can currently get away with it. Brand loyalty, outside of the rabid die-hard zombie fans, is going to be an issue as traditional automakers roll out their offerings.

Different strokes for different folks. I find the suspension fine on my MYP.

But kind of strange to buy the car first then complain about the ride quality afterwards. Seems like a lack of due diligence. Should have done some more test drives or requested an overnight tester. There are plenty of alternatives that may have suited your needs.

In any event, good luck.

Different strokes for different folks. I find the suspension fine on my MYP.

But kind of strange to buy the car first then complain about the ride quality afterwards. Seems like a lack of due diligence. Should have done some more test drives or requested an overnight tester. There are plenty of alternatives that may have suited your needs.

In any event, good luck.
i have done my due diligence; test drove the 3 & Y many times. it's different to do a 30min test drive and to actually drive a car you own for a long time and become sensitive the small things that you wouldn't notice in a demo behicle. yes, i also knew a lot of people complain about how harsh are tesla suspension. i am just curious why tesla never bother to refine this when they pay attention to other minute details like removing lumbar cause no one uses.

i have done my due diligence...minute details like removing lumbar cause no one uses.
Did you drive the Mustang? Might be just your thing.

I like the suspension on my Y along with the panel fit and steering feel. I am comfortable on a long drive - Superchargers are wherever I need them. I have never enjoyed listening to music as much as I do in this car. It's a joy to drive long distances - even in heavy traffic.

This weekend while I was in LA, at the hotel that had complimentary destination chargers, I talked to a guy who bought the electrified Audi SUV. He is returning it. He said it's comfortable and all, but, the range and lack of charging networks blows. He's getting an X....

Regarding suspensions, one persons "comfortable" is another persons "mushy".

Me for example, My MYP was delivered today, and I found the stock suspension to be pretty good, I plan on going to a smaller wheel and tire combination and at that point with the extra sidewall on the tires it may be softer than I am used to from my Miata that just got sold.

Keith

Genuine question: if I wanted to upgrade the suspension of my MY, how should I start to go about that? Is there a type of shop that specializes in that? Any idea of what the options are or cost? I realize these questions are kind of vague, but I have no experience with this, recently got a MY, really love it, but do agree with the OP. If the ride was a bit more smooth, it'd be near perfect.

Reactions: blc1017
Genuine question: if I wanted to upgrade the suspension of my MY, how should I start to go about that? Is there a type of shop that specializes in that? Any idea of what the options are or cost? I realize these questions are kind of vague, but I have no experience with this, recently got a MY, really love it, but do agree with the OP. If the ride was a bit more smooth, it'd be near perfect.
You could go with either the MPP kit - It will cost around $5200 installed or the UPP comfort springs (currently on backorder) $1500 or so installed. I'll be using "The Driveway" for the install. However, I have opted to wait and see how my suspension feels (I'm at 4000 miles in 6 weeks) and honestly I'm starting to like the stock feel and ride height. I have a LR with 20" rims. I suggest you drive it for a while and see what you think. Visually the ride height needs to be lower by an inch, but, hey, I'm getting older and care more about comfort over testosterone.

Last edited:
Reactions: charrigan

Im on 21 inch Performance wheels and its a softer ride than my previous C63 P31 for sure.