Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla suspension suck so bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This entire post was bait.

I agree with your thoughts on suspension. It's one of those things that's purely subjective. I've never seen a single post that included actual data comparing the Y to another car with the same sized wheels and tires.

To help people get answers to questions and such? Although, lots of people feel that forums are a place to rail at the moon, too, so there is that. Your thread title starts off pretty aggressive, so invites a similar response. Instead of "why does this suspension suck so bad"? You could have said something a lot less sensationalist and still gotten the message across, like "Suspension is too stiff for me, what are my options?"

Regarding suspensions, one persons "comfortable" is another persons "mushy". I have also driven BMWs, several, for almost 2 decades and in order to get a suspension "I" liked on them I had to get at LEAST their static sports suspension, or, on some models the adaptive suspension (which I had on my last 3 series and 4 series I got before my model 3).

I dont have a Y, I have a model 3 performance, and some people think the ride is rough, while others think its too soft. You can likely upgrade it to get something you want, aftermarket, as was pointed out by @Electric Dream. Its a mass market car, so no way to make everyone happy with something as subjective as ride.

😁😆😅😂
You've "driven" bmw....

That's stupid, I don't need fancy air suspension. I have driven bmw and they're firm but still smooth. Tesla suspension are like cheap rough one that people put in their old Honda civic. My vw golf has better suspension. I am not asking for much. Just wondering why their engineer think this is a good set up. The car is of glass and the rough suspension causes to vibrate a lot. I would think they would tune it better.

Yeah, this is just stupid marketing spiel. I'm going faster than ever on high-speed undulating corners with significant elevation changes. The Y will slide when coming into corners hot and never feels out of control. I wish it had a bit less body roll at times, but I'm holding my own and many cars pull over when they see me rolling up behind them.

Ferrari_june_27.jpg

Anytime you replace the suspension parts in a way that could affect ride quality/height, we recommend you get the car aligned. If you drop the car below 1", we recommend adjustable arms, etc.

When we say "fixes everything" we are referring to the OEM "jarring" ride over small bumps and the lack of body control over big undulations/cornering speeds.

That's stupid, I don't need fancy air suspension. I have driven bmw and they're firm but still smooth. Tesla suspension are like cheap rough one that people put in their old Honda civic. My vw golf has better suspension. I am not asking for much. Just wondering why their engineer think this is a good set up. The car is of glass and the rough suspension causes to vibrate a lot. I would think they would tune it better.
I personally think bmw rides like crap. I’ve said all along Tesla’s suspension is just fine if you switch the tires and let it break in. 3 months in and a few thousand miles and it his good for me. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S all the way.

My 2021 MYLR, 9k miles, stock 19" ContiProContact...this is what it feels like after MPP install...

OF COURSE, I'm joking. Much improved ride, control over uneven pavement. Slightly softer, less sharp slap on expansion cracks. I HEAR road imperfections, but don't always FEEL them.

Still too new to fully evaluate. Will wait 1k miles.

LR stock tires, 6k miles. Ride is OK, but kinda crappy over rough roads and bumps etc. Definitely a non-luxury suspension. If i had another 30k to blow i would have gotten an new S maybe. Waiting for good tires to come out still, dont wanna drop 3k on coilovers yet....Reminds me of my Dad's 93 3000gt vr4
You shouldn't have to spend $80k for a decent ride. Just get new springs

😆😅😂🤣
I see and this explains things. You don't know the first thing about handling and vehicle dynamics.

Hints:
- The springs more or less hold the car up for the dampers.
- The tires act as springs so lowering tire pressure effectively does the same thing as softer springs.

You shouldn't have to spend $80k for a decent ride. Just get new springs

You're really hopeless, aren't you?

So just replace with a softer suspension. You people give terrible advice

Just take it or shut up; If that's your answer to everything then why do we have this forum?
It's basically that the feedback loop (IMHO) is broken. As long as Tesla keeps getting sales and sales growth (or there isn't sustained massive bad PR or is depressing their stock price), they have seem to have little incentive/motivation to address some of the very basic things Fourdoor brought up that MANY other lower end/cheaper vehicles have and have had for ages.

If enough people vote w/their wallet and feet and Tesla figures out that those missing things will reverse the slide/fix problems with PR or stock price, things might change.

And, Tesla/Elon are all about hype. Those things aren't really hype-worthy or sexy. So, instead, they will come out w/something else shiny then hype it, get fanboys, the public, Wall Street, etc. all spun up about it instead.

Last edited:
Gotta love the disagrees to my reply...

What part(s) do you disagree with? I feel that Fourdoor's reply (post #2) is on the mark. He wrote "Because they don't have too and they sell every car they produce on a waiting list." Agree with that?

If they weren't doing that, don't you think that Tesla would want to drill down more into the reasons why and try to address some of them, which may or may not be those features?

My much cheaper EV has rear cross traffic alert, yellow blind spot alert lights in the outboard mirrors, instruments in front of me and a virtual bird-eye view. Plenty of other ICEVs and some EVs have had stuff like this for ages. If Tesla added some/all of that to catch up, that's not nearly as sexy as something like Plaid, insane mode, ludicrous mode, xxx kW Supercharging, yyy (insert some big #) miles of range, charging snake, battery swapping, some autopilot/"FSD" feature, autopilot version nn, etc.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jejunjm and WhiteWi
Gotta love the disagrees to my reply...

What part(s) do you disagree with? I feel that Fourdoor's reply (post #2) is on the mark. He wrote "Because they don't have too and they sell every car they produce on a waiting list." Agree with that?

If they weren't doing that, don't you think that Tesla would want to drill down more into the reasons why and try to address some of them, which may or may not be those features?

My much cheaper car has rear cross traffic alert, yellow blind spot alert lights in the outboard mirrors, instruments in front of me and a virtual bird-eye view. If Tesla added some/all of that to catch up, that's not nearly as sexy as something like Plaid, insane mode, ludicrous mode, xxx kW Supercharging, yyy (insert some big #) miles of range, charging snake, battery swapping, some autopilot feature, autopilot version nn, etc.
That’s the problem. People want Tesla to add things that THEY want. That would be like me going on the Bolt forum and complaining because I want GM to add a bigger battery pack, dual motor, etc. GM doesn’t offer that stuff on the Bolt so I don’t buy one. It is all consumer choice. I have no issue with what Tesla has done with the Y(my grand Cherokee had everything you speak off) so I bought one. If I had an issue with no blind spot monitoring in the mirrors, gauges in front of me, etc then I would’ve bought a different model/brand.
I personally think we will never see Tesla add blind spot monitoring to the mirrors, gauge cluster etc as Tesla doesn’t go with the norm. This post has turned into something toxic and never should’ve been created in the first place. The original post was about suspension riding like crap, but again that is subjective. If people don’t like how it rides they have two options: 1.change it or 2. Don’t buy one.

Agreed with most.

I think the forum would be fine if the trolls, non-owners, ...etc... would stop using it to spread FUD. It's not working anyhow. Tesla is doing great.

That’s the problem. People want Tesla to add things that THEY want. That would be like me going on the Bolt forum and complaining because I want GM to add a bigger battery pack, dual motor, etc. GM doesn’t offer that stuff on the Bolt so I don’t buy one. It is all consumer choice. I have no issue with what Tesla has done with the Y(my grand Cherokee had everything you speak off) so I bought one. If I had an issue with no blind spot monitoring in the mirrors, gauges in front of me, etc then I would’ve bought a different model/brand.
I personally think we will never see Tesla add blind spot monitoring to the mirrors, gauge cluster etc as Tesla doesn’t go with the norm. This post has turned into something toxic and never should’ve been created in the first place. The original post was about suspension riding like crap, but again that is subjective. If people don’t like how it rides they have two options: 1.change it or 2. Don’t buy one.

It's basically that the feedback loop (IMHO) is broken. As long as Tesla keeps getting sales and sales growth (or there isn't sustained massive bad PR or is depressing their stock price), they have seem to have little incentive/motivation to address some of the very basic things Fourdoor brought up that MANY other lower end/cheaper vehicles have and have had for ages.

If enough people vote w/their wallet and feet and Tesla figures out that those missing things will reverse the slide/fix problems with PR or stock price, things might change.

And, Tesla/Elon are all about hype. Those things aren't really hype-worthy or sexy. So, instead, they will come out w/something else shiny then hype it, get fanboys, the public, Wall Street, etc. all spun up about it instead.
suspension is as much art as science, and drivers have never been educated how it works.
your comments are spot on. but don't expect the fanboys and subjective opinions to meet yours even half way. welcome to the internet.
personally I find the MY suspension mediocre... but I know how to fix it, without breaking the bank. I raced cars and educated my assometer over 10 years.

The aftermarket exists and people have always tinkered extensively with anything that has wheels.

Usually it's the driver and not the car, however, I have to admit that MY LR+Boost is giving me a huge advantage. This Z4 and some Merc got dropped badly when traffic cleared on twisty mountain roads. It's M / AMG or it's going to get dusted. ;)

MY_vs_BMW_Z4_and_Merc.jpg

suspension is as much art as science, and drivers have never been educated how it works.
your comments are spot on. but don't expect the fanboys and subjective opinions to meet yours even half way. welcome to the internet.
personally I find the MY suspension mediocre... but I know how to fix it, without breaking the bank. I raced cars and educated my assometer over 10 years.

Reactions: WhiteWi