Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla suspension suck so bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
suspension is as much art as science, and drivers have never been educated how it works.
your comments are spot on. but don't expect the fanboys and subjective opinions to meet yours even half way. welcome to the internet.
personally I find the MY suspension mediocre... but I know how to fix it, without breaking the bank. I raced cars and educated my assometer over 10 years.
How?

Tires/wheels (more sidewall = more spring, ie potentially go to 18" wheels). There are more tire options with 18" wheels than 19, 20, or 21, and they'll ride smoother.
Aftermarket suspension, choose your poison - UPP, MPP, Redwood Motorsport, so long as you understand what compression / rebound can do or not do for you and your wants.
I don't believe just springs alone will solve the stock damper limitations.
It's actually not difficult to remove/install new coilovers but final ride height setup, corner balance and alignment is best done with a qualified shop.
As said, it's as much art as science and user knowledge is necessary. There are no standard drivers and so there are no standard solutions.

The model Y is a crossover, you would think they would put in a softer suspension for ride comfort. instead it's very hard and shallow. every road imperfection is felt through out the cabin. why doesn't tesla improve or use different suspensions supplier? i guess i'll just have to go after market *sigh*

i am on the gemini and it still sucks. i can't imagine daily driving with the performance 21" wheels
Jeez, you’d hate a BMW if you ever owned one.

Reactions: WhiteWi
In town (the vast majority of my driving) I used to lower my tire pressure to 38 psi COLD thinking it softened the ride. Maybe it did.

But when we took our first long road trip I pump them UP to 43 psi COLD, which meant my tire pressures crept up to 46 psi. I was surprised how well the car behaved with that psi, when we got home I just left them alone. Just the opinion of someone 68 years old.

In town (the vast majority of my driving) I used to lower my tire pressure to 38 psi COLD thinking it softened the ride. Maybe it did.

But when we took our first long road trip I pump them UP to 43 psi COLD, which meant my tire pressures crept up to 46 psi. I was surprised how well the car behaved with that psi, when we got home I just left them alone. Just the opinion of someone 68 years old.
I'm guessing your increased pressure gets the foam liners of the stock Continental off the wheels more consistently.
That would perhaps lessen the transmission of road noise from the tires/wheels into the frame.
Again, guessing.

I had a similar experience. I dropped the tire pressure in my stock MYP PZeros/Uberturbine 21s down to 37-38 looking for a softer ride last summer and I thought it felt fine. I spent the winter/spring on Vredesteins/Martian 20s at 42 and loved them. When I switched back to the summer tires/wheels, the shop set them at 45 and I immediately thought I should lower the pressure. But after driving for a few hundred miles they feel fine. I think alot of this discussion depends on:
1. Where you live and your typical road conditions - I'm in a semi-rural area with generally good pavement.
2. What you are "used to" driving - I come from various sports cars, most recently a BMW M3.
3. How you like to drive - I view this as a sports car and drive it as such. And in my experience, I can drive the MYP faster in most situations than my previous sports cars due in no small part to the height - the ability to see over and around traffic to find those slots you didn't know existed. (The ridiculous acceleration and big brakes dont hurt either!)
Of course, we cant always drive fast and another nice thing about the MY is that it's also super comfortable doodling along in traffic.

I have the MPP on a MYP.. it does not behave like a x5 or Lexus suspension…. Tesla didn’t build the Y to be that bump soaking luxury sedan. Don’t believe this internet hype.
So you are saying even the aftermarket mods aren’t great? I actually find the ride fine, but that’s coming from a Mazda3 and a CX-5. I also only have a few hundred miles so far.

I owned a 2010 cx-5 sport touring and the suspension on that thing handle the northeast roads well… I honestly would take that anyday.

I thought aftermarket would solve my Suspension issues but it didn’t. I still feel every road imperfections and get moved out of my seat when hitting bumps. The bumps are less severe then stock MYP… but being less severe isn’t worth me dropping $4600. I also dropped another $3000 on 19s with all weather.

I owned a bmw 440 with active suspension before the MYP. Even in full sport mode.. I didn’t get the jitteriness and body movements I get now in the coil over MYP.

I like many aspects of the Model Y Performance … but the suspension is def the top of the hate list.

Just my two cents… only speaking cause I hate reading bout how aftermarket is the solution to the crap ride of the Model Y.

It rides like a “sporty” sedan imho

I definitely agree it is not a luxury ride suv at all
Which i agree if you come from lexus or bmw suvs to name a few you gonna be frustrated or other suvs

Is it as bad as some have made it out to be? no but it definitely is not comfort oriented

I think the option for air suspension or a better suspension should be available for the my considering the type of buyer of the MY seems to come from a lot of luxury options

I owned a 2010 cx-5 sport touring and the suspension on that thing handle the northeast roads well… I honestly would take that anyday.

I thought aftermarket would solve my Suspension issues but it didn’t. I still feel every road imperfections and get moved out of my seat when hitting bumps. The bumps are less severe then stock MYP… but being less severe isn’t worth me dropping $4600. I also dropped another $3000 on 19s with all weather.

I owned a bmw 440 with active suspension before the MYP. Even in full sport mode.. I didn’t get the jitteriness and body movements I get now in the coil over MYP.

I like many aspects of the Model Y Performance … but the suspension is def the top of the hate list.

Just my two cents… only speaking cause I hate reading bout how aftermarket is the solution to the crap ride of the Model Y.
BS. You don't get "moved out of my seat when hitting bumps". Talk about internet hype!